2ND Amendment Ruling Due in 2008

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: 2ND Amendment Ruling Due in 2008

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:59 pm

What Do the ‘Holiday Terror Warning’ Targets Have in Common?

“All are places where some states have outlawed concealed carry, which has saved plenty of lives in Israel and elsewhere. . . . Laws of course vary from state to state, but the simple fact is that the large majority of states — even those that allow concealed carry — have lacked the foresight to see a concealed carry permit holder as anything other than a civilian protecting himself or herself. They have yet to grasp the fact that concealed carry permit holders are the first line of defense against a Mumbai-style attack.”

Evil is unpredictable and therefore unpreventable. Remember, when you have seconds to live police are only minutes away; pack heat
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby analog » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:09 pm

Watched "True Grit" again last night on Turner Classics.. ...i love that line: "ya can't serve papers on a rat..."

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:10 pm

It seems that my eldest has never seen a John Wayne movie, so I sent him "True Grit" for Christmas. IMO it's the best of generally very good bunch.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:46 pm

analog wrote:Watched "True Grit" again last night on Turner Classics.. ...i love that line: "ya can't serve papers on a rat..."

a.

The new one with Jeff Bridges looks good. Bridges seems to really capture the tough guy roll. I hear that the young girl who hires Rooster Cogburn (Bridges) steals the show. Haven't seen her before...her name is Hailee Steinfeld..she's a knock out already http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2794962/
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:53 pm

jamiebk wrote:
analog wrote:Watched "True Grit" again last night on Turner Classics.. ...i love that line: "ya can't serve papers on a rat..."

a.

The new one with Jeff Bridges looks good. Bridges seems to really capture the tough guy roll. I hear that the young girl who hires Rooster Cogburn (Bridges) steals the show. Haven't seen her before...her name is Hailee Steinfeld..she's a knock out already http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2794962/

Apparently Bridges is quite the horseman. He actually rides his horse with two pistols in his hands and the reins in his teeth. The Duke "rode" a saddle fixed to the bed of a pickup truck. The new movie sticks to the original book.

My all time favorite quote from any movie was when Rooster says he's going to kill the bad guys in one minute the head of the gang say "That's awful bold talk for a one eyed fat man!"
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:09 am

A WAVE OF MURDERS in a state the Brady Campaign calls safe because of strict gun laws. “Safe?” I do not think this word means what you think it means. But this kind of — all-too-common — pattern is probably why U.S. attitudes on gun control haven’t gotten any more favorable since the Tucson shooting.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:58 am

Haggis@wk wrote:... U.S. attitudes on gun control ...

My own being that "gun control" is the ability to accurately hit your intended target.

I understand that this attitude is viewed with suspicion by some folks. Those folks probably don't understand about rattlesnakes in the garage and coyotes in the yard.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:
Haggis@wk wrote:... U.S. attitudes on gun control ...

My own being that "gun control" is the ability to accurately hit your intended target.

I understand that this attitude is viewed with suspicion by some folks. Those folks probably don't understand about rattlesnakes in the garage and coyotes in the yard.

It is true that we who don't normally carry guns don't understand coyotes and rattlesnakes. But we do understand bad and hasty aiming, failure to identify the target, ricochets, pass-throughs, and unintended consequences in general. As I said earlier, I'm glad no-one fired a gun in that Tucson crowd apart from the clearly-deranged shooter.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:32 pm

dai bread wrote: It is true that we who don't normally carry guns don't understand coyotes and rattlesnakes. But we do understand bad and hasty aiming, failure to identify the target, ricochets, pass-throughs, and unintended consequences in general. As I said earlier, I'm glad no-one fired a gun in that Tucson crowd apart from the clearly-deranged shooter.

Canucks and NZers will never understand Americans. Aussies used to understand us but their government screwed them because they had no rights to self protection in their Constitution. You will always be perplexed by our insistence to our right to carry a firearm. You have no legal right to protect yourselves. Even though (sorry, Marye) I'm authorized by law to carry a gun because I’m a retired law enforcement officer, I certainly respect other Americans rights to bear arms. Americans protect themselves every day of the year but you never hear of it from the American MSM. Look at this website Armed citizen

We have never trusted our government to do right by us and we have the Constitutional right to resist it; no one else in the free world has that right.

In addition, In every country evil is unpredictable and thus unpreventable. Pack heat. My wife and I will never be intimidated or fearful by an a$$hole.

who else in the "free world" can say that?
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:13 pm

What if the a$$hole packs heat? Or, as is usually the case here, hunts in a pack?
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:37 pm

dai bread wrote:What if the a$$hole packs heat? Or, as is usually the case here, hunts in a pack?

If the former, at least it'd be a fair fight. If the latter, then I'd suspect the pack would be short a couple of members before the smoke cleared.

I am reminded that, when Britain prepared for a potential invasion, they issued handguns to citizens with the idea that "You can take one with you".
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:40 pm

dai bread wrote:What if the a$$hole packs heat? Or, as is usually the case here, hunts in a pack?

That's why I have high capacity magazines :rofl:

I'm not sayin' they can't get me, just that I'm going to have a respectable honor guard for that first beer in Valhalla
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby analog » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:26 am

[quote="Shapley"

I am reminded that, when Britain prepared for a potential invasion, they issued handguns to citizens with the idea that "You can take one with you".[/quote]

Indeed, and they're quite collectible now, have seen several at local gunshows.
Victory model

The S&W Model 10 military revolvers produced from 1940 to had serial numbers with a "V" prefix, and were known as the Smith & Wesson Victory Model. It is noteworthy that early Victory Models did not always have the V prefix. During World War II over 570,000 of these pistols were supplied to the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa under the Lend-Lease program, chambered in the British .38/200 caliber already in use in the Enfield No 2 Mk I Revolver and the Webley Mk IV Revolver. Most Victory Models sent to Britain were fitted with 4" (102 mm) or 5" (127 mm) barrels, although a few early versions had 6" (150 mm) barrels.[5][6] In general, most British and Commonwealth forces expressed a preference for the .38/200 Smith & Wesson over their standard Enfield revolver.[7]

I don't carry because this neck of the woods is quiet as Mayberry. Places I go I'd worry more about losing the thing than needing it.
But i may get a concealed permit just because of creeping regulation - i'd like to grandfather in before they make it prohibitive.

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:39 pm

analog wrote: Image

I don't carry because this neck of the woods is quiet as Mayberry. Places I go I'd worry more about losing the thing than needing it.
But i may get a concealed permit just because of creeping regulation - i'd like to grandfather in before they make it prohibitive.

a.

I have a 1892 Colt .38 that belonged to my grandfather. Dad and I attended his funeral in 1968 and Dad pulled the pistol out at the request of my grandmother. I was appalled to see that Bobba had loaded it with ".38 special" ammo. The damn thing would have exploded in his face if he had ever pulled the trigger. So don't load your pistol with .38 special.

As a sign of the times I carried the pistol in my carry on luggage when I flew back to my base. I told the ticket agent I had it and his only comment was I couldn't carry it loaded.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:27 pm

Squirt Gun Control? Why Not Just Outlaw Childhood?:

"If squirt guns are outlawed, only outlaw squirts will have guns!”

Plus, “Squirt guns don’t squirt squirts, squirts squirt squirts!” Heh.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:24 pm

Once again, giving up freedom for the illusion of risk-reduction, aka safety.
That is my definition of decadence, and we're there, and slipping down the slope faster all the time.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:42 pm

I'm a terrible shot. Thus, my preferred home-defense weapon vaguely resembles a thing my hillbilly cousins would call a scattergun.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:37 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:
dai bread wrote:...my preferred home-defense weapon vaguely resembles a thing my hillbilly cousins would call a scattergun.

I have a .12 gauge auto-shotgun by the patio door loaded with birdshot in case a coyote favors a Chihuahua snack. They haven’t come over my 7-foot fence but they have my neighbor’s 4-foot chain link fence and got his cat. It’s illegal to discharge any firearm in Plano, including a pellet gun, so I’ll probably have to pay a fine if I ever shoot a coyote, but I won't hesitate. They may be annoying, yapping little Chihuahuas, but they are MY annoying, yapping little Chihuahuas and I’m fond of them.The momma, "Buffy" is just agressive and dumb enough to take on a coyote. Haggis is more of a coward and would probably run indoors!!! :rofl:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:49 pm

IN MASSACHUSETTS, talk of putting GPS chips in guns.

How about we put ‘em in state legislators instead? Statistically, they’re far more likely to be used in crime. And no, that’s not a joke, it’s true. . . .
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:54 pm

Apparently, when they're not legislating, they're hiding out in Illinois. GPS chips might help to get them back where they belong. We don't need other states' Democrats hiding out here, we've got more than enough of our own, thank you...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team