That's Just Stupid!

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: That's Just Stupid!

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:10 am

STAR TRIBUNE

Do you believe in the American dream — the idea that in this country, hardworking people of every race, color and creed can get ahead on their own merits? If so, that belief may soon bar you from getting a license to teach in Minnesota public schools — at least if you plan to get your teaching degree at the University of Minnesota’s Twin Cities campus.

In a report compiled last summer, the Race, Culture, Class and Gender Task Group at the U’s College of Education and Human Development recommended that aspiring teachers there must repudiate the notion of “the American Dream” in order to obtain the recommendation for licensure required by the Minnesota Board of Teaching. Instead, teacher candidates must embrace — and be prepared to teach our state’s kids — the task force’s own vision of America as an oppressive hellhole: racist, sexist and homophobic.

I view Minnesota as a "canary in the coal mine" for the U.S. it's already established a taxpayer funded Madras and tolerates sharia activities in public schools. You have to wonder where this will take them.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:32 am

Haggis@wk wrote:In a report compiled last summer, the Race, Culture, Class and Gender Task Group at the U’s College of Education and Human Development recommended that aspiring teachers there must repudiate the notion of “the American Dream” in order to obtain the recommendation for licensure required by the Minnesota Board of Teaching. Instead, teacher candidates must embrace — and be prepared to teach our state’s kids — the task force’s own vision of America as an oppressive hellhole: racist, sexist and homophobic.
[/quote]

I'd like to see the underlying report from which the article draws its conclusions. It is noted that these were only recommendations of the report. Do we know what actions were taken on those recommendations? The American Dream may not be a reality for a number of the prospective students...don't know. However, if they really want to see what the American Dream is all about, try sending them to live in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Zambia or even some place like El Salvador and see how fast they come back.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:48 pm

jamiebk wrote:I'd like to see the underlying report from which the article draws its conclusions. It is noted that these were only recommendations of the report. Do we know what actions were taken on those recommendations? The American Dream may not be a reality for a number of the prospective students...don't know. However, if they really want to see what the American Dream is all about, try sending them to live in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Zambia or even some place like El Salvador and see how fast they come back.

Exactly. Even a visit to a contemporary butcher's shop in England would put off most Americans. And I've seen racist, sexist and homophobic Somalia and Saudi Arabia. I just thought it amusing that a state that bends over backwards to accomdate professed "racist, sexist and homophobics" can't see the conflict.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:18 pm

Bailout Productions, in conjunction with the Government Motor Company, presents:

The Chevy Volt Dancers!

If you need proof that the GM is stuck in the past, consider the idea of using Disco and Break-Dancing to promote "the car of the future"...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:26 pm

Maine Commission Moves to Ban Gender Specific Bathrooms, Sports Teams in Schools

The Maine Human Rights Commissions taking heat over a proposal to ban schools from enforcing gender divisions in sports teams, school organizations, bathrooms and locker rooms, saying forcing a student into a particular room or group because of their biological gender amounts to discrimination.

If this thread hadn't already existed I'd had to start it just for this!!!!
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:45 pm

In the former Soviet republic of Georgia, Stalin’s home, they've just taken down a statue of Stalin. Here in America, we've just put one up.

I'll leave it to someone smarter than I to pen an appropriate comment.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:24 pm

I'll just paraphrase an unknown Russian regarding putting up a statue of Stalin:

"I think it is wonderful. It will provide us shade from the Summer Sun, Shelter from the Winter wind, and an opportunity to let the pigeons speak for all of us."
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby analog » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:02 am

Can't happen here. Surely it's Robert DeNiro.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:03 am

Weekend Wall Street Journal, Packing for College, 2010 Style:

As you help pack up the minifridge, laptop and extra-long twin sheets for your college freshman, you might consider a few other last-minute chores: ... Call your lawyer.
Sending a child off to college for the first time is wrenching enough, but a slew of conflicting rules and changing banking and health-care laws are making this year's move-in season more confusing than ever. And with college costs and student debt at record levels, it is all the more important for students—and their parents—to avoid the new financial traps cropping up on campuses these days, from debit cards to health insurance. ...

Even as parents foot the bill for health care, privacy laws restrict doctors, nurses and student health from sharing information without an adult student's permission. That is where the lawyer comes in.
After a few clients ran into difficulty getting information about adult children who were ill, Sheila Benninger, an attorney in Chapel Hill, N.C., began recommending that clients' children designate a health-care power of attorney after they turn 18 to identify who can speak for them if they can't.

She also includes a Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or HIPAA, release form that allows patients to determine who can receive information about their medical care and whether information about treatment for substance abuse, mental health or sexually transmitted diseases can be disclosed.

You don't have to use a lawyer. Generic health-care power-of-attorney forms can be found online. If the school has a HIPAA release online, it's best to use that more-tailored document.
Parents should keep a copy in an email folder, where it can be easily accessed in an emergency. And students should designate a general power of attorney so someone can pay bills or handle other issues if they go abroad.

"Even if you end up never using these documents," Ms. Benninger says, they help young people "understand the obligations of adulthood."

It's stupid that our laws have caused this to become a necessity
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:20 am

My wife and I had the same problem with our duaghter. She was having some medical problems and actually consulted with us on them. When we tried to talk to the doctors and insurance people about it, we were denied on HIPAA grounds. Bottom line is that even though we paid the bills, we still couldn't get information on the medical issue from the doctors and health care facility. :crazy: :evil:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:37 pm

Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:16 pm

U.S. passport applications replacing “mother” and “father” with “Parent One” and “Parent Two.” :roll:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:09 pm

Just after Christmas, an opportunist sent out an offer to shareholders in several companies offering to buy their shares at a discount of about 40% to the current market value.

Incredibly, some people accepted!

All they had to do was open a newspaper to the business section and read the stock market report and they would have realised they were being done.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:08 pm

I was shopping Amazon’s kitchen knife sale and ran across this. A knife holder called “The Ex,” by Raffaele Iannello. It does seem to take a view of violence toward men that society would never accept if it were directed at women.

Can you imagine a knife holder like this, only with a female figurine, being routinely sold and viewed as some sort of a “gag” item? No, neither can I.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:04 pm

It also assumes that a woman's place is in the kitchen. Or, more specifically, that men don't cook.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:26 pm

It could have been devised by a woman in a male dominant society as a voodoo figure.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:42 am

DavidS wrote:...male dominant society

The last one of those I recall was in the 50's :rofl:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:31 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:
DavidS wrote:...male dominant society

The last one of those I recall was in the 50's :rofl:

I take it you haven't been to Iran recently...
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:38 pm

That's
a) creepy
b) a lousy knife holder
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:28 am

DavidS wrote: take it you haven't been to Iran recently...

I was there TDY in 1974 for a week. The food was great and the women were gorgeous. It looked like parts of Miami. One of the local beers, Behnoush, was....alright, although I preferred Efes which was locally available. From a U.S. military standpoint Iran was a cushy assignment. Low cost of living and access to some of the best handmade rugs in the Middle East as well as other trinkets and products.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team