Egypt

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Egypt

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:05 am

dai bread wrote:So many people refuse to acknowledge that population control would solve Global Warming and CO2 emissions

Unfortunately, the people who tend to agree with you are educated and thoughtful, safely ensconced in a stable society with all the motivation required to maintain that status quo. In poorer, uneducated countries that rely on agrarian production children are an asset. And, as Shapley points out Muslims are encouraged to have larger families. That simple call to procreate has led to larger and larger Muslim populations in many of European countries and is the main reason I believe that Eurabia is inevitable.

UPDATE:

The Obama administration appears to have opened the door to a Muslim Brotherhood presence in a new Egyptian government. Assuming the administration carries through with this new stance, it represents a momentous shift in American foreign policy, in Obama’s domestic political profile, and, I fear, in the shape of the Middle East.

There was no good answer to the current crisis, but if it continues along the course suggested by Robert Gibbs late yesterday, the administration will have chosen the worst of all alternatives.

UPDATE:

Muslim Brotherhood: ‘Prepare Egyptians for war with Israel'

A leading member of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt told the Arabic-language Iranian news network Al-Alam on Monday that he would like to see the Egyptian people prepare for war against Israel, according to the Hebrew-language business newspaper Calcalist.

Muhammad Ghannem reportedly told Al- Alam that the Suez Canal should be closed immediately, and that the flow of gas from Egypt to Israel should cease “in order to bring about the downfall of the Mubarak regime.” He added that “the people should be prepared for war against Israel,” saying the world should understand that “the Egyptian people are prepared for anything to get rid of this regime.”

Ghannem praised Egyptian soldiers deployed by President Hosni Mubarak to Egyptian cities, saying they “would not kill their brothers.” He added that Washington was forced to abandon plans to help Mubarak stay in power after “seeing millions head for the streets.”

Emphasis mine
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:01 pm

non-renewable acquivers for irrigation

autocomplete, coupled w no proofreading.
oh dear.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:52 am

ROBERT SPRINGBORG IN FOREIGN POLICY: Game Over: Mubarak will hold on.

While much of American media has termed the events unfolding in Egypt today as “clashes between pro-government and opposition groups,” this is not in fact what’s happening on the street. The so-called “pro-government” forces are actually Mubarak’s cleverly orchestrated goon squads dressed up as pro-Mubarak demonstrators to attack the protesters in Midan Tahrir, with the Army appearing to be a neutral force. The opposition, largely cognizant of the dirty game being played against it, nevertheless has had little choice but to call for protection against the regime’s thugs by the regime itself, i.e., the military. And so Mubarak begins to show us just how clever and experienced he truly is. The game is, thus, more or less over.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:25 pm

piqaboo wrote:
non-renewable acquivers for irrigation

autocomplete, coupled w no proofreading.
oh dear.

What's an aquiver? Is that for holding aarrows?
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:48 pm

Being a big fan of abows and aarrows, I get all aquiver whenever I see a nice aquiver.

I don't like the non-renewable aquivers, though. They're kind of like disposable water bottles. I mean, seriously, what is the point of that.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:20 pm

very nice example Shap. They are very much like disposable water bottles.

'specially when spelled in the more conventional way of "aquafer".
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:26 pm

"What's an aqua fer?" I asked,

"I reckon its fer drinkin' and washin', mostly, but it's good for fishin', too." He replied.

"Fishin'? Nucular fishin'?" I asked.

"Wall, I ain't never caught no nucular in thar, but I've caught I some nice Walleye and some Big Mouth." He said.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:30 pm

Seems there was a pro fusion of con fusion in that there 'versation.

Nice 'un.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:54 pm

Well, if........aw, the hell with it, who am I kiddin'? I can't top evfer of ewe guise :rofl:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:51 am

EGYPT: A Letter From Salem Mansur.

“I am more convinced now, as I wasn’t when Paul Kennedy wrote about the rise and fall of great powers, that the West has gone over the tipping point in its terminal decline. That intelligent people, or people who claim to be intelligent, (I have in mind the talking heads in the U.S. media such as Chris Matthews or Fareed Zakaria) cannot make the difference between the sham of the Muslim Brotherhood talking about freedom and democracy and the generic thirst in man to be free. These are the people who have like the Bourbons learned nothing and forgotten nothing. They are glibly about to put the Lenins of our time into trains heading for Moscows of our time, they find nothing odd that they are pushing for the Muslim Brotherhood to be taken into governing when everything needs to be done to keep the Muslim Brotherhood out.”
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:36 pm

Actions speak louder than words... why do we not 'listen'?
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Keep out of it. The government of Egypt is a matter for the Egyptians.

And if you're worried about the canal, put all your Asian freight (made in China) into West Coast ports and rail it across country. That's what the Aussies do, from Fremantle, so there's no reason why the U.S. can't.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:40 am

dai bread wrote:Keep out of it. The government of Egypt is a matter for the Egyptians.

And if you're worried about the canal, put all your Asian freight (made in China) into West Coast ports and rail it across country. That's what the Aussies do, from Fremantle, so there's no reason why the U.S. can't.

Actually, by default we will stay out of it. But if the country goes to the radicalized Islamists who close or even threaten to close the Suez then it's not the U.S. you need to worry about. Most of Europe's (and the U.S.) oil goes throught the canal and even if we sat on our hands I suspect France, England and the rest of Europe would not act as enlightened. The rail option isn't really an option since without the Suez the oil would have to go around Africa before it could either coast.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:42 am

It seems Mubarak has decided to step down.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Marye » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Isn't official yet, is it Shap?
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:58 pm

It wasn't when I wrote that. Apparently, he is addressing the nation now.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Marye » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:04 pm

He is not going anywhere.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:40 pm

We could rebuild the Goat Canyon Trestle (and all its little brothers and sisters), and reconnect SD to Arizona by rail. That would be awesome!

The spectacular Goat Canyon Trestle, completed in 1933 as part of a realignment of the the San Diego & Arizona Eastern Railway's original route, is a noted San Diego County landmark. At 600' long and 200' high, the Goat Canyon Trestle is the longest curved and one of the hightest wooden trestles in the world.

more info and one picture

googlepix
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:56 pm

piqaboo wrote:We could rebuild the Goat Canyon Trestle (and all its little brothers and sisters), and reconnect SD to Arizona by rail. That would be awesome!

Neat, but what does it have to do with Egypt? ;)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:02 pm

Marye wrote:He is not going anywhere.

He's transferring power to the VP, but keeping the office. All of the perks, none of the Responsibilities. Sounds like Mr. Obama does have a hand in this... :D
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team