The PW Camp

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: The PW Camp

Postby piqaboo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:04 pm

One of my co-workers (former, now) got to the tournament of champions, where he bid badly, and hardly added to his winnings at all, but hey! He made it!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:01 pm

piqaboo wrote:One of my co-workers (former, now) got to the tournament of champions, where he bid badly, and hardly added to his winnings at all, but hey! He made it!

she'd be happy if she just got on and lost; I'd be happy if she just got on and lost!!!! :rofl:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:36 am

Admit it, it sounds just like a set-up for a thousand horror-movie

Scientists Race To Breach Antarctica’s Lake Vostok.

“Russian scientists are set to pierce through Antarctica’s frozen surface to reveal the secrets of an icebound lake that has been sealed deep there for the past 15 million years.”
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:05 am

Chrysler releases $9m Super Bowl ad while requesting more taxpayer dollars.

We paid a lot of those Super Bowl ads. Also, they sucked.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:32 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:Chrysler releases $9m Super Bowl ad while requesting more taxpayer dollars.

We paid a lot of those Super Bowl ads. Also, they sucked.

Adding to the many reasons I'm thinking our next vehicle will be a Ford.
Chrysler doesn't have a lock on Detroit...hello...
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:14 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:Admit it, it sounds just like a set-up for a thousand horror-movie

“Russian scientists are set to pierce through Antarctica’s frozen surface to reveal the secrets of an icebound lake that has been sealed deep there for the past 15 million years.”

Either that or a sequel to Dan Brown's book titled Deception Point. :rofl:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:48 am

I think we've seen it in John Carpenter's 'The Thing'...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:20 pm

jamiebk wrote:
Haggis@wk wrote:Admit it, it sounds just like a set-up for a thousand horror-movie

Either that or a sequel to Dan Brown's book titled Deception Point. :rofl:

You're raising the bar, it really needs to be one of those 50's Japanese dubbed dialog kind of movie; "Godzirra!" :rofl:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:02 pm

"For two million years it lay there, waiting..."
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:10 am

dai bread wrote:"For two million years it lay there, waiting..."

"..and now man is about to unwittingly unleash a unthinkable evil that will...."
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:53 pm

horrifyingly result in the d......
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:10 pm

I KNEW there was a reason!! :rofl:

Can't dance? Brain chemical throws off your grooveBy Bill Briggs

All these years, I thought it was because I was white. And straight. And old.

Sure, I’ll get my freak on if I hear “Disco Inferno,” or when Mary J. is in the spot. (Told you I was old. And let me add: Don’t need no hateration.) But my steps aren’t smooth. Those beats and my body never truly connect -- despite what the cocktails tell me. On the dance floor, I'm the male Elaine from "Seinfeld," all kicks, thumbs and no rhythm.

Turns out, it’s all in my head, not my hips or feet. A study, released today by researchers at the University of Oxford in England, claims a tiny messenger in the brain is partly to blame for those among us who struggle to grasp the latest dance moves.

This is all about GABA (short for gamma-aminobutyric acid). Again: not Gaga, GABA. A naturally occurring chemical, GABA is a bit like the brain’s traffic cop. Nerve cells in the brain are constantly firing and “talking” to each other. GABA helps keep all that chatter from getting out of control.

“Our research suggests that an important first step in learning that new skill is a decrease in GABA levels in the motor cortex,” explained Dr. Charlotte Stagg, a junior research fellow at Oxford and at John Radcliffe Hospital. Her study was published online in the journal Current Biology.

“It appears that GABA levels in some people are more easily modulated than in others, and that the differences between people (are) related to their ability to learn” new movements, Stagg said.

OK, she blinded me with science. So, in other words, people with brains that better restrain or regulate their GABA amounts have an easier time mastering motor tasks like tennis strokes, piano songs, or dance sequences?

“Less is more, certainly,” Stagg said.

She and her fellow researchers at the British university used “transcranial stimulation” in test patients, then looked at the link between their GABA decreases and their knack for learning a simple series of finger movements. (Transcranial stimulation is a non-surgical, non-invasive way to excite brain neurons in people by using weak electric currents and rapidly changing magnetic fields.)

Now, back to the dance.

Is there any way, I asked Stagg, for bad dancers to overcome their GABA issues so that they can, maybe, look less dorky on the floor?

The scientist offered a dash of hope with just two words -- both rooted, she said, in previous research: “More practice.”
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:46 pm

That's cool Jamie, however, now I can't mock my husband with, 'you dance like a white guy' (which he is, but, whatever). Guess I'll have to say, 'you dance like a person with too much/harder to modify GABA'. My kids don't seem to be afflicted, so hopefully they inherited my lower/more easily modulated GABA mechanism. Wonder if this is more common in men than women...?
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:19 am

piqaboo wrote:horrifyingly result in the d......

"Did you leave that door op......"

You know we can have fun with this for months.... :rofl:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:20 am

Trapped in time: Chateau left in the dark for a century on the wishes of obsessive owner finally reveals its splendour to the world

When wealthy French bachelor Louis Mantin demanded that nobody touch his lavish mansion for 100 years after his death, even the occupying German army paid heed.
The eccentric recluse, who died in 1905, wrote in his will that he wanted Maison Mantin, in Moulins, Central France, to be turned into a museum dedicated to himself and his gentlemanly lifestyle.
His vision was for visitors to experience his world a century on, uncorrupted by the passing of time. In doing so he ensured he was not forgotten

one of his knick knacks. Dueling toads. how cool is that????
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:18 pm

There''s a show called "Hoarders" that he might qualify for.
Its a very elaborate mansion. Its clear there were servants in large numbers.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:01 pm

The American version of the critically acclaimed movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnxNnJYziMY
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:32 am

A day late, happy B.com anniversary to me! At least I'm over 1000 posts now...took long enough...
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:33 am

six years to get to 1075 posts....but it's always been nice chatting with y'all!
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:33 am

Schmeelkie wrote:A day late, happy B.com anniversary to me! At least I'm over 1000 posts now...took long enough...

Congratulations!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes