California!! It's Another Country!!

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: California!! It's Another Country!!

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:15 am

Well who else are we going to blame it on????

Politicians are the usual target.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:01 am

Anyone busy this Saturday? Well if not, come on over to San Francisco and join the "Puke-in"

By Mathew Luschek
NBCBayArea.com NBCBayArea.com
updated 4/21/2011 10:16:09 PM ET 2011-04-22T02:16:09

If the idea of commercializing the parks of San Francisco makes you sick, you may want to stock up on your ipecac, and head to Dolores Park this Saturday.

A group of folks opposed to the idea of required permits to picnic in the park, is staging a "Puke-In" , April 23, at 2:00 p.m. at Dolores, says SF Weekly.

According to the Facebook page, "Privatization makes me sick" is the slogan they're going with.

"I'm gonna puke!!!!! How do you get the attention of the people of SF? The neighbors of Dolores Park have no idea that the trailer issue is even back, so to get the word out and get people talking about it, we are gonna have a protest, sort of. We're all gonna puke in Dolores Park on Saturday the 23rd at 2:00. More details soon. Privatizing our parks makes me sick. How about you?"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42713319/ns ... y_area_ca/
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:57 am

When I was stationed out that way years ago, seeing people puking in public was not uncommon, so I'm wondering how effective it will be. We usually just walked around them, even though some of them were shipmates...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:56 pm

UPDATE!!! In case you were attending:
################
By Mathew Luschek
NBCBayArea.com NBCBayArea.com
updated 1 hour 7 minutes ago 2011-04-22T21:46:42

UPDATE: The scheduled "Puke-In" at Dolores has been rescheduled to next Saturday, April 30th, out of "respect for Earth Day" says their Facebook page.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun May 08, 2011 2:54 pm

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon May 09, 2011 9:09 pm

I think SF is a very expensive place to live. But a great city.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue May 10, 2011 9:26 am

Every now and then, San Francisco threatens to secede from California.
Every now and then, the rest of California offers to let them.
We'd even let them have the People's Republic of Santa Monica as a satellite territory.

It's hard to believe that one state, even one this large, has so many incompatible cultures without active warfare.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Wed May 11, 2011 6:44 pm

San Diego should consider secession; they have such fine weather.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu May 12, 2011 4:22 pm

I cant access the link (blocked) - um?? How can one not fill a rent controlled apt?
I be confuzd
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu May 12, 2011 8:03 pm

Here's the article:
"In San Francisco, one of the toughest places in the country to find a place to live, more than 31,000 housing units — one of every 12 — now sit vacant, according to recently released census data. That’s the highest vacancy rate in the region, and a 70 percent increase from a decade ago."

The reason? The city's pro-tenant, outdated rent control laws that make it difficult to raise rents or evict a tenant.

"Increasingly, small-time landlords are just giving up, like one who has left two large apartments on the second and third floors of her building vacant for more than a decade, after a series of tenant difficulties. It’s just not worth the bother, or the risk, of being legally tied to a tenant for decades.

“Vacancy rates are going up because owners have decided to take their units off the market,” said Ross Mirkarimi, a progressive member of the Board of Supervisors. He attributes that response to “peaking frustrations in dealing with the range of laws that protect tenants in San Francisco that make it difficult for small property owners to thrive.”
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri May 13, 2011 12:04 pm

Bad tenants are indeed a pain, but its hard for me to imagine that an empty unit , producing 0 income, is less of one. Wow.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri May 13, 2011 12:20 pm

piqaboo wrote:Bad tenants are indeed a pain, but its hard for me to imagine that an empty unit , producing 0 income, is less of one. Wow.

If it costs you more to keep the tenants than to keep it empty, I can see the logic behind not renting it out.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Sat May 14, 2011 1:52 pm

If it costs you more to keep the tenants than to keep it empty, I can see the logic behind not renting it out.

What kind of plan is this? It this the best those landlords can do? They should find some other way to make money.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Sat May 14, 2011 5:36 pm

I think in a lot of these cases the landlords might be wealthy anyway, with some other source of income. The point is maintenance is a write-off, and they get to depreciate the building too. It's all about taxes.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun May 15, 2011 10:15 am

Giant Communist Robot wrote:I think in a lot of these cases the landlords might be wealthy anyway,
Oh well, that explains it then, rich landlords gouging the little people.

It's all about taxes.

or it could be all about this

pro-tenant, outdated rent control laws that make it difficult to raise rents

Since cost of business and taxes are probably not controlled in SF you eventually find you can't charge enough rent to make a profit.

Of course one solution would be for SF to just seize the apartments and then they could rent them out. They certainly have enough precedent from the current WH to base their seizure on.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Sun May 15, 2011 5:27 pm

Oh well, that explains it then, rich landlords gouging the little people.

Not really what I meant. It takes a lot of money to buy an apartment building so most owners could be lawyers, doctors or the like. Rental units are attractive as the depreciation helps offset income tax. Without tenants, though, they'll have a negative cash flow. Rents should track market needs by supply and demand. SF is an expensive place to live and if "the little people" can't afford it they could move to Hayward rather than have government start monkeying around with things. Do you see Beverly Hills imposing rent control?
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon May 16, 2011 10:24 am

The fact that 31,000 rental units are vacant points more to the rules of renting than the philosophy of the landlords
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:27 am

California Dreamin’

California grew at a slower rate from 2000 to 2010 than in any period since statehood in 1850, according to U.S. Census Bureau data released this year. Put another way: This is the biggest population slump in California's history.

Many middle class people are leaving the state for Texas, Colorado, Nevada and Arizona, where taxes and the cost of living are lower. In the past decade, 1.5 million more people left California for other states than came to California from another part of the United States, according to analysis from the Public Policy Institute of California.

My cynical mind is churning though, There’s a lot going on, both in the article and in the state, but it’s a rather large oversight not to connect the high price of housing and the largely successful efforts of people like this woman to restrict new construction.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:33 am

California just imposed the 'Amazon Tax', to require internet sales companies not located in California, but with affiliates in California, to compute and collect California sales taxes on sales to California residents.

As a result, Amazon has dropped their California affiliates.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-a ... 1978.story

Amazon intends to fight the legality of the tax.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:54 am

It woudl be fair to mention that at least 5 other states already have such laws on the books. Fact is...most people buying off of the internet get a free ride on state sales taxes. Brick and mortar stores don't.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team