America's Young Men Are in Crisis

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

America's Young Men Are in Crisis

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed May 18, 2011 9:54 am

The Boys Initiative highlight the obstacles boys in American face and it is stark. Yesterday, the group revealed some startling data at a DC briefing.

The figures are stark: Compared to girls, boys are less educated and more medicated. One in five men of prime working age is not working. Men have a life expectancy five years shorter than women. Male suicide rates start out equal to females, but steadily rise over the lifespan.

America ranks No. 1 in the world for the number of men in their 50s and 60s with college degrees, but it ranks only ninth for these degrees among men in their 20s and 30s, Thomas Mortenson, education analyst and board member of the Boys Initiative, said.

I have essentially stopped watching TV because I’m tired of all the ads and shows portraying white American males as idiots and dunces. Recently I’ve noticed that black males have joined us in those portrayals so I guess that’s progress of a sort for black American males.

Boys have been the victims of decades of abuse and neglect and only now someone is recognizing it?

The statistics don’t stop there. Mortenson’s “For every 100 girls …” project reveals more:

·
For every 100 fourth grade girls who watch TV four or more hours per day, 123 boys do.
· For every 100 12th grade girls who used alcohol on school property, 148 boys did.
· For every 100 girls suspended from public elementary and secondary schools, 215 boys are suspended. Boys are expelled at a rate of 2.97 to every 1 girl.
· For every 100 girls diagnosed with a learning disability, 276 boys are. Boys are diagnosed with emotional disturbance at a rate of 3.24 to every 1 girl.
· For every 100 girls ages 15 to 17 in correctional facilities, there are 837 boys behind bars. Men ages 18 to 24 live in group homes at a rate of 1.66 to every 1 woman in the same age range.

Willie Iles, national director of government relations for Boy Scouts of America, had this to say yesterday:

I am convinced today that we have a national crisis, a national security issue, a state-of-emergency issue and a nation at risk. If anybody cannot understand that, as we talk about investments and the return on those investments – which are our boys – then it is very clear we are going in the wrong direction.

The point is, while the president has busily created a White House Council on Women and Girls and while women have continued to crusade for their own cause, boys have begun to fall through the cracks. And that’s a shame — because we need more honorable men. Just ask Maria Shriver.

So what can be done about it? Common sense suggests the small things. Maybe we should stop disparaging boys and start encouraging them. Maybe we should respect the differences between boys and girls and develop the potential in each accordingly.

We need to let boys be boys without condemning them for it.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: America's Young Men Are in Crisis

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu May 19, 2011 12:12 pm

I, personally, really try to let my boy be a boy. I put up with the potty humor, many drawings of things blowing up, etc because I know it's normal and 'this too shall pass'. I try to be sure he gets good messages from us about respecting others, violence not being an appropriate solution to most problems he'll ever face, and things like that. I'm totally OK with him, for example, making a drawing where Justin Bieber is being shot at, eaten by a monster, etc, because I know he has a good grasp on reality and knows that with 'real people' you can't really do that. Having an outlet for these thoughts/type of energy is SO much better than condemning it entirely. I'm very impressed with his development over the past few years - he'll yell when angry and maybe slam his door, but doesn't hit or try to hurt anyone. He really seems to get now that a time out/sending him to his room will help him calm down and avoid further problems/punishments. He can get out his anger by himself, then we can calmly talk.

When Bella got a book that sends the message (and explicity says at the end) that girls can do anything they want to do - my husband has been explicit any time he reads it especially when Pumpkin is in the room that this goes for boys too.

Anyway, here's hoping I'm doing what's best for both kids and can counter-act some of what is happening in society today. I've noticed the 'dumb guy' thing on TV too - it's not a good trend...
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu May 19, 2011 1:03 pm

Some of those numbers (like ADHD meds) may be due to society's current & misplaced emphases. I think mine own Altoid would be getting notes home about ADHD evals if herself were himself.

Others arent. Young males have traditionally engaged in higher risk behaviour than young females, history long. Perhaps that's because being a young female carries such a weight of physical risk that they dont need to add to it, or perhaps its due to testosterone etc. Its not imaginary tho, nor new.

Average lifespans have always been lower for males, except for the averaging effect of death due to childbearing which applies solely to women.

Disparaging someone in order to sell something is annoying. Doesnt matter who the 'dumb bunny' is.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu May 19, 2011 1:50 pm

piqaboo wrote:Disparaging someone in order to sell something is annoying. Doesnt matter who the 'dumb bunny' is.

But the only PC safe "dumb bunny" has been white and black American males. Put on the same shows that instead make fun of women and minorities (other than black males) and the PC police would be down on them like a ton of brick. Therefore American white and black males are the target in 90% of ads and most American TV shows. Probably the only other target is corporate America. Show creators feels safe attacking "evil big business" And, of coure, any non-catholic religious organizatins.

Good on you Smeelkie might I suggest The Dangerous Book for Boys If I ever get any grandsons that'll be the first book they'll get from me!!!
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri May 20, 2011 1:50 pm

Schmeelkie
when Altoid fell in love with a sparkly shirt that happened to say 'Girls Rule', she asked me why there werent any that said 'Boys Rule'.
The pendulum is heading back to center. :)
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri May 20, 2011 2:32 pm

piqaboo wrote:Schmeelkie
when Altoid fell in love with a sparkly shirt that happened to say 'Girls Rule', she asked me why there werent any that said 'Boys Rule'.
The pendulum is heading back to center. :)

BTW there's also a "Dangerous" book for girls
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri May 20, 2011 3:02 pm

I think it's called the 'Daring' book for girls...

One has to wonder if it delves into the differences between a 'dare', a 'double dare', a 'double-dog dare, a 'triple dare', and a 'triple-dog care'...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Return to Culture Connections