Libya

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Libya

Postby Shapley » Fri May 20, 2011 3:08 pm

President In Violation of the Law, Says Bi-Partiscan Group of Lawmakers

Dennis "Impeach Bush" Kucinich has joined them...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Fri May 20, 2011 3:56 pm

Shapley wrote:President In Violation of the Law, Says Bi-Partiscan Group of Lawmakers

Dennis "Impeach Bush" Kucinich has joined them...

Violation of law may be tough to prove
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri May 20, 2011 4:42 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:Violation of law may be tough to prove

I think the violation would be easy to prove. It would open up the question of whether or not the law is constitutional - something some congresspersons may not want to deal with. It is something with which the courts will have to deal someday, unless the law is repealed first. It seems on the one hand to trample on the 'separation of powers', but it could also be said to merely codify the limitations of the Presidents' authority as Commander-in-Chief, weighed agains the constitutional requirement of the Congress to declare war.

In essence, someone has to determine when a 'war' becomes a 'war', as opposed to being a 'police action', 'foreign intervention', 'extension of diplomacy', or 'kinetic military action'...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Sat May 21, 2011 2:20 pm

I was thinking lawyers can equivocate about this for eternity.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat May 21, 2011 3:17 pm

Shapley wrote: In essence, someone has to determine when a 'war' becomes a 'war', as opposed to being a 'police action', 'foreign intervention', 'extension of diplomacy', or 'kinetic military action'...

I, personally, think it is unconstitutional, but that's just me. I suspect neither the President nor Congress is anxious to test the concept in court.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon May 23, 2011 1:48 pm

How about "petroleumcentric adventure"?
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue May 24, 2011 1:26 pm

I think NATO's role is defined well enough, but they lack a goal. As long as there are some rebels fighting somewhere NATO should be "protecting" civilians. It wouldn't take much more than a handful of rebels to keep NATO sucked in for years.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue May 24, 2011 6:18 pm

They'd like that. It would ensure their continued existence, and provide an outlet for military suppliers for millennia. People have been fighting in the Middle East for millenia already, and I don't see that changing.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu May 26, 2011 1:47 pm

Libya's willingness to talk to rebels signals their desire to end NATO bombings so they can continue to shoot at rebels.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Maybe this Russian envoy can end this stuff.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:09 pm

Commitment of helicopter gunships (English and French) is a serious escalation and almost certain to end in a chopper getting shot down. A friend in the know tells me that NATO's been pressuring the U.S. to commit ground attack aircraft, including A-10s as well (I presume, but can't say with any knowledge) our own choppers.

That would mean our rescue forces have to be close enough to get to shot down fliers out in a hurry. I suspect I know where those forces are currently sitting but don't want to speculate.

In addition, rescue packages come with some heavy metal suppression packages to protect the rescue guys, and, and, and.....

This is probably the only U.S. combat operation in the last 50 years that is almost completely bereft of U.S. MSM attention.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:20 pm

This is probably the only U.S. combat operation in the last 50 years that is almost completely bereft of U.S. MSM attention.

I always thought the Dominican Republic adventure was rather muted. This one definitely has a low profile.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:40 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:
I always thought the Dominican Republic adventure was rather muted. This one definitely has a low profile.

I am embarrassed to admit I totally forgot about that. You are probably right 44 Americans were kill, 27 in combat but the stage setting was the same, an unpopular Democratic president expecting and receiving cover by a compliant (tho not as compliant as today) MSM
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:34 pm

an unpopular Democratic president expecting and receiving cover by a compliant (tho not as compliant as today) MSM

Easy to liquidate any government or opposition without outcry because the media was hypnotized by Viet Nam.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:53 am

I really don't like this plan to use helicopters as ground support in sandy terrain. Rotors kick up lots of ground trash, and the helicopter power plants react terribly badly to sand in the bearings. This is not a good plan.

It's bad enough having to pick bits of birds and vegetation out of the intakes. We seldom have to deal with sand: those helicopters don't make it back. Is there a Plan B for ground vehicle extraction of downed fliers? How about Plan C?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:43 pm

Someone needs to send in a special team to "get" Gaddafi so this can end. He's stated he'll not leave and will die first, and the rebels and coalition look equally adamant. Given this, it's clear how this will end. Sooner is better for all, except Gaddafi of course.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:48 am

Giant Communist Robot wrote:Someone needs to send in a special team to "get" Gaddafi so this can end. He's stated he'll not leave and will die first, and the rebels and coalition look equally adamant. Given this, it's clear how this will end. Sooner is better for all, except Gaddafi of course.

Yep...he'll take the whole country down with him
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:16 pm

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, president of the international chess federation, went to Libya to meet with Gaddafi. He stated he was there on business only, not to give advice. Gaddifi had nothing more pressing on his schedule and the two played chess for two hours. Ilyumzhinov has previously met with aliens from another galaxy and been a guest on their spacecraft.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Boehner (R) and Kucinich (D) both say Obama is in violation of the War Powers act. American intervention looks unpopular in Congress.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Previous

Return to The Debate Team