Coffee Machines

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Coffee Machines

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:45 am

Giant Communist Robot wrote:
I had a TR-3A.

A more sophisticated version of the TR-2. The 2 lacked things like door handles on the inside. The usual method of entry/exit was to hop over the door.

My first boss in the USAF, Maj Kolman, rebuilt old cars. He had a TR-2, MG-TD (he rebuilt it from the frame up and I helped) He had two Avantis including one with a supercharger. He taught me a lot about fixing the TR and helped me pull the wet sleeves and go from 57 mm pistons to 63 mm and put in a 3/4 cam, all the same afternoon. He also taught me that most engine peripherals on the British Leyland products of the day, starters, generators, etc. were actually off of John Deere tractors so it was cheaper to go buy a generator from the John Deere dealer in Valdosta, GA than buy it from the BL parts store in Atlanta. Gawd, I loved that little car but I always want a Healy 3000 or a Sunbeam Tiger, sigh, alas not to be.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:57 pm

most engine peripherals... were actually off of John Deere tractors

I wish I had known that. The car was always in need of something. One time I broke an axle. As a teenager, I got into more trouble with that car than my parents expected.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:15 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote: One time I broke an axle.

There must be a story to that one.......
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:25 pm

Haggis and I have more in common than one might think: Goldwater supporters in '63, early model Triumph owners, and we both like Obama.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:00 am

Giant Communist Robot wrote:Haggis and I have more in common than one might think: Goldwater supporters in '63, early model Triumph owners, and we both like *****.

two outta thee ain't bad~!! :rofl:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:12 pm

I never told you, but in '63 I volunteered to work in my neighborhood Republican headquarters. I helped sell bumper stickers and campaign buttons, and a soft drink called "Goldwater". It was delicious.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:26 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:... and a soft drink called "Goldwater". It was delicious.

I had a 6 pack until 1997 when my mother threw it out. I was heartbroken.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:12 am

I had a 6 pack until 1997

I had a few cans after the election, but drank them. I liked it.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:52 am

Giant Communist Robot wrote:Haggis and I have more in common than one might think: Goldwater supporters in '63, early model Triumph owners, and we both like Obama.

HA! as a kid, I campaigned for Goldwater. I was a Boy Scout at the time and we did some sort of volunteer work down at the local campaign headquarters. Funny, I had no idea about political parties or affiliations. Everyone seemed happy to stuff envelopes and deliver them. Heck, they even bought us lunch at the local diner called "Sam's"..renowned for its hot dogs...still is as far as I know.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:22 am

Going back to only slightly off topic. I had several paper routes growing up. I started on a bike (of course) and then graduated to a small mini-bike. That was a disaster and the only accident I ever had on a motorized bike was that one. I then had a used Sears version of the Vespa and that was better than the mini-bike but as my route expanded I couldn't carry all my papers, especially on Sunday, and had to return to the Laundromat staging center to pick up the rest. I finally ended up with the best paper route scooter ever built, the Cushman Silver Eagle. Mine was a 1958, similar to this one only it had cloth paper bags saddle bags that my mother sewed together from two regular paper bags. I could carry a ton of papers and never had to make two trips. The wide wheels made it stable as hell. It had two gears, centrifugal clutch and was ugly as leaves in a mud fence but I loved it.

Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:13 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:Going back to only slightly off topic. I had several paper routes growing up. I started on a bike (of course) and then graduated to a small mini-bike. That was a disaster and the only accident I ever had on a motorized bike was that one. I then had a used Sears version of the Vespa and that was better than the mini-bike but as my route expanded I couldn't carry all my papers, especially on Sunday, and had to return to the Laundromat staging center to pick up the rest. I finally ended up with the best paper route scooter ever built, the Cushman Silver Eagle. Mine was a 1958, similar to this one only it had cloth paper bags saddle bags that my mother sewed together from two regular paper bags. I could carry a ton of papers and never had to make two trips. The wide wheels made it stable as hell. It had two gears, centrifugal clutch and was ugly as leaves in a mud fence but I loved it.

But...does it make coffee??
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:13 pm

Vespa is Italian, and had a fine expresso making feature Sears left off.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:30 am

The Hondas and Suzukis make sushi, especially if some careless fish wanders on to the road.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:18 am

DavidS wrote:

The Hondas and Suzukis make sushi, especially if some careless fish wanders on to the road.

Too bad about the sushi. I would have preferred a sake dispenser
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:16 am

jamiebk wrote:But...does it make coffee??

Well, no,but it took me to Krispy Kreme after I finished my paper route in Ft. Walton Beach. All of the paper boys would gather there and we would get three glazed donuts (freshly made) and coffee for a quarter. :rofl:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Previous

Return to Culture Connections