Texas, It's a Whole 'Nother Country!!!

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Texas, It's a Whole 'Nother Country!!!

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:34 pm

Texas Gov. Rick Perry signed a law yesterday that will free Texans from the federal government’s impending incandescent light bulb ban:

The measure, sent to Gov. Rick Perry for consideration [he subsequently signed it], lets any incandescent light bulb manufactured in Texas – and sold in that state – avoid the authority of the federal government or the repeal of the 2007 energy independence act that starts phasing out some incandescent light bulbs next year.

Texas wasn’t the first state to explore this kind of legislation: South Carolina has advanced a similar bill and, last year, the Arizona legislature passed a bill to the same effect — but Gov. Jan Brewer vetoed it.

I love living in Texas
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: Texas, It's a Whole 'Nother Country!!!

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:39 pm

So, if I moved to Texas, I could buy real light bulbs? The kind that just turn on and off and don't have to think about it for three minutes first?

Hmmmm. Gonna have think this over.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Maybe you can pass thru on a trip to elsewhere, buy a suitcase full and just bring em home as souvenirs?
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:52 am

I've got a list of things I have to smuggle into the state, on account of they're Too Dangerous, or Too UnGreen, or some such nonsense. Light bulbs will go onto it, right under sparklers and roman candles. And bug spray that actually kills bugs.

Seriously, I think I'm old enough to get by without all the nannies. :grump:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:07 pm

?We can no longer buy 100% DEET here? Really?
I must check on next trip to REI.

If ever I go to Denmark, I'm taking jars of marmite.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:46 pm

Last time I looked for bug spray, it was some kind of marigold concoction. I think the idea is to make the bugs laugh themselves to death.

I had to google the Denmark/Marmite thing. I'd paid no attention to the banned-in-Denmark issue; marmite/vegemite/etc is not a significant menu item in my world. Sounds like the Danish nannies are worse than the California ones. I wonder if the Danes can still get Danish pastries with their coffee? Can they still get coffee? :shock:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:01 am

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Return to The Debate Team