BB online

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

BB online

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:09 am

I made a conscious decision I couldn’t afford BB radio. Who else miss the online version?
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: BB online

Postby BigJon » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:58 pm

Meeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:07 pm

me 2
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:25 am

Meeeeeeee

(It often didn't make it through the firewall, anyway. :pout:)
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:48 am

I've paid for the stream, even when a free one was available, beginning with the ill-fated Realplayer stream.

I do miss the free stream, though, because it helped to be bring new members to the board, and provided for more varied requests.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby DavidS » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:03 am

In my case it was through the free stream and BB site that I started participating in the forum and meeting people around the world with similar interests to me, for which I am truly grateful.
Now I understand that economics has raised its head and free streaming has had to be discontinued, while many of us are not in a position to subscribe to the paid stream. Sad, but c'est la vie.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:17 am

I subscribed as soon as it was available.
:mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:25 pm

I am still a paid member. I enjoy the stream but honestly, I think they need to feed in some new pieces...seems like a lot of repeats now.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:32 am

jamiebk wrote:I am still a paid member. I enjoy the stream but honestly, I think they need to feed in some new pieces...seems like a lot of repeats now.

They're playing a concerto by Quantz, now. I don't believe I've heard of Quantz, let alone heard the concerto.

As I noted, a lot of the repeats are due to repeated requests. If you request something new, they'll play it if they have it. I've tried, but I often come up blank when I try to think of something out-of-the-mainstream. It's times like that I miss Shos' presence here the the most, he's a walking encyclopaedia of musical information.

I also miss Dan Maselli, who used to bring in a lot of new music - some of 'pushing the envelope' of classical music. I can't say that he was necessarily instrumental in obtaining the music, or if he simply seemed to play it more often. I seem to recall that he brought us Giles Apap and the Transylvanian Mountain Boys, Presenter, Tony Banks, Rene Gruss, and a few others.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:37 am

Britten's Simple Symphony is playing now. It was overplayed a while back, but I haven't heard it in a while.

I don't get to listen in the evenings, since my slow and time-limited satelite internet service does not permit it. However, looking at the music log, it appears there is lots of 'new' music played in the overnight hours.

During the workday, however, we do seem to get a lot repitition.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:51 am

Got blocked at work - radio, bulletin board, the works.
I could put in a request to unblock access to the board, but I'm not wordsmith enough to justify it.
:(
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:50 am

piqaboo wrote:Got blocked at work - radio, bulletin board, the works.
I could put in a request to unblock access to the board, but I'm not wordsmith enough to justify it.

NOOOOOOOO

SO SORRY to hear that.

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:29 pm

piqaboo wrote:Got blocked at work - radio, bulletin board, the works.

That sucks...I am blocked too (on everything). I found a few streams that IT hasn't found yet, but its getting to be a challenge.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:19 am

Thanks, guys.
I miss y'all during the day! The music I can manage w "old fashioned" methodes like portable music players.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Mahlersfifth » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:15 pm

I gave it up also. I went back to streaming CBC radio. And I roam infrequently around the bulletin boards. I am over on facebook these days
Mahlersfifth
4th Chair

Return to Musical Notes