America Abandons Space

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

America Abandons Space

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:34 am

Space Station Could Be Abandoned In November:

“Astronauts may need to temporarily withdraw from the International Space Station before the end of this year if Russia is unable to resume manned flights of its Soyuz rocket after a failed cargo launch last week, according to the NASA official in charge of the outpost. Despite a delivery of important logistics by the final space shuttle mission in July, safety concerns with landing Soyuz capsules in the middle of winter could force the space station to fly unmanned beginning in November, according to Michael Suffredini, NASA’s space station program manager.”

Since we are no long a space-faring country we have no room to criticize about one who is.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: America Abandons Space

Postby jamiebk » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:25 pm

Personally, I never trusted the Russian's space technology. If we intend on having the space station we should have our own vehicles to service it. It is ludicrus having to rely on some other country/technology to support the endeavor.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:49 pm

Whenever someone mentions servicing the Space Station with a Russian rocket, I think of O.T.'s comments about the Russian Foxtrot submarine moored in San Diego harbour. O.T. wasn't polite about it, and the thought of relying on a rocket built by the same people is scary.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:40 am

dai bread wrote:Whenever someone mentions servicing the Space Station with a Russian rocket, I think of O.T.'s comments about the Russian Foxtrot submarine moored in San Diego harbour. O.T. wasn't polite about it, and the thought of relying on a rocket built by the same people is scary.

Actually I toured the same sub with OT and Piq when I visited a few years back and had the same impression. It reminded me of visiting the U.S.S. Missouri at the end of the first Gulf War. It looked like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory with steam spurting out everywhere with steam powered governors’ spinning etc.

But my initial premise remains. Our leaders deliberately decided, in the interest to save money, that we are now a non-space faring country. Who are we to criticize another country that routinely does go into space????
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:24 pm

This is "outsourcing" to the nth degree... We had a technological advnatage that led to tens of thousands of offshoot discoveries, businesses, and products. It is shameful that we now rely on others. They will reap the benefit.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:18 pm

This is the curse of the "Great Society" and the welfare state it created. We've given the people the power to pay themselves from the treasury, and the people have decided that all other matters of government are secondary to keeping their own checques coming.

It's only going to get worse, until we finally decide to get a handle on 'entitlement' spending. But those who want to do that are branded 'crackpots'...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:30 pm

...whereas I lay the blame squarely on bean-counters and money-grubbers who can't see anything but their own bank accounts. If it can be done cheaper, do it, and never mind anything else, like employment and national, or even community, achievement.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:54 pm

I work in the space industry. The Russians are actually quite good at rocket engineering. The rockets don't look pretty, but they are tough. The recent woes have more to do with the experienced rocket techs and assemblers going elsewhere in the country in search of a middle class existence, rather than the austere life in an industry town. They are replacing them with low-skilled workers who they can Shanghai into the job. They need to be taught from the ground up how to put together a rocket.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:41 pm

That's not reassuring, BigJon.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:40 am

Nothing in the quote you posted is criticism. Its a description of the situation.

I do wish we were still spacey, so to speak.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:37 am

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:44 am

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:25 am

A generational thought: No one born after 1935 has walked on the Moon.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Nor do they apparently dream of it.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:48 am

Although I've demonstrated my abilities as a fortune-teller are missing, I can't help but predict that there will be a time when there will be no living human being who has been to the moon.

Hopefully, commercial exploitation will prove me wrong.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Return to The Debate Team