The 999 Plan

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

The 999 Plan

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:20 pm

It seems most people will pay more under this plan. Unusual coming from a Republican. Correct me if I'm wrong. The way we do it now, those with money subsidize those without. It's the basic social and political structure of our country. So, even if Cain is elected I don't think we'll ever see 999.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Re: The 999 Plan

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:05 pm

BTW, Cain is no lightweight. Check out this biography.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:04 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote: Unusual coming from a Republican. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Not really. Republicans have advocated flat taxes set at levels that will increase taxes (people will pay more), but will be more fair, and simpler. The primary push is to get rid of 'targeted tax breaks', but that push starts to falter when some peoples' tax breaks show up on the chopping block.

Even during the debate on the 'flat tax' back during the term of President Clinton, the idea of cutting the mortgage interest deduction always seemed to get lost, as if having a mortgage is some sort of patriotic duty, and getting a tax break on the interest is some sort of right.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:07 pm

You're right about that flat tax stuff. It is a Republican idea and it would raise taxes for most people. Many Republicans reject raising taxes, and some want tax cuts. Three flavors of tax policy in one party. I'll admit there are no clearly best ideas; all have advantages and disadvantages.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:11 pm

as if having a mortgage is some sort of patriotic duty, and getting a tax break on the interest is some sort of right.

I've said before our governments' function is defined by its' actions. In our case we should view this as another form of entitlement.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:33 pm

999 is clearly bad in so many ways. Tax consumer spending instead of income and you will gut retail sales. it also burdens states with collection and many states already have a sales tax. Bottom line, be prepared to pay a whole hell of a lot more in aggregate taxes if this lame idea gets traction.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:35 pm

There are very few tax breaks here, and mortgage interest has never been one of them even when we had tax breaks for wives, children and life assurance premiums. All long gone.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:40 pm

jamiebk wrote:999 is clearly bad in so many ways. Tax consumer spending instead of income and you will gut retail sales. it also burdens states with collection and many states already have a sales tax. Bottom line, be prepared to pay a whole hell of a lot more in aggregate taxes if this lame idea gets traction.

Not necessarily. If the consumers have more money in their pockets due to the lower income tax rate, they may feel richer and spend more anyhow. Then again, we coudl become a nation of savers . . . <cough, cough>
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:07 pm

my PRIMARY objection is that "999" could become "20-20-20," quickly. That's the same reason I object to VAT, too easy to raise, especially if the government (as in the UK) gives the authority to bureaucrats to avoid have their fingerprints on unpopular changes to the tax rate.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:43 am

That's why I think it will never gain favour among conservatives. Most have always favoured the income/consumption tax ideas as an either/or concept. They do not favour federal consumption tax unless we get rid of the 16th Amendment. We do not favour expanding the federal government's authority to tax us on both ends.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:56 am

If the consumers have more money in their pockets due to the lower income tax rate, they may feel richer and spend more anyhow.

More money in their pockets??? Uh...not really. Under this plan in CA for instance, where we already have a 7-8% sales tax (and an income tax) consumers will see taxes on for instance, necessities like appliances etc. go from 7% to 16%+. That does not count the "other" "9's". Hardly any Americans are at that marginal rate.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 am

Shapley wrote:That's why I think it will never gain favour among conservatives. Most have always favoured the income/consumption tax ideas as an either/or concept. They do not favour federal consumption tax unless we get rid of the 16th Amendment. We do not favour expanding the federal government's authority to tax us on both ends.

If I recall correctly, Nixon's advisers suggested a national sales tax and he scoffed at the idea, saying once the liberals got their hands on that there would be no end to tax increases.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:00 pm

jamiebk wrote:
If the consumers have more money in their pockets due to the lower income tax rate, they may feel richer and spend more anyhow.

More money in their pockets??? Uh...not really. Under this plan in CA for instance, where we already have a 7-8% sales tax (and an income tax) consumers will see taxes on for instance, necessities like appliances etc. go from 7% to 16%+. That does not count the "other" "9's". Hardly any Americans are at that marginal rate.

This underlines what I feel is one of the fundamental problems with economics--it's about peoples' behavior, their psychology. When people are being observed and they know it, they change their behavior. If a tax plan is implemented and people are told they will act one way, what are the chances they'll do something different?
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:43 pm

Some people don't have a choice of behavior...they are the poor or under-employed who currently pay very little if any tax (and rightfully so). Under 999, they will pay just like everyone else. 9-36% of their income is a whole lot more significant to them.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:49 am

jamiebk wrote:Some people don't have a choice of behavior...they are the poor or under-employed who currently pay very little if any tax (and rightfully so). Under 999, they will pay just like everyone else. 9-36% of their income is a whole lot more significant to them.

Even if Cain's elected, Congress will never pass this plan.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:56 pm

[quote='shapley']as if having a mortgage is some sort of patriotic duty, and getting a tax break on the interest is some sort of right[/quote]

Not that its a right, but that many current mortgage holders calculated the payment they could carry based on that tax break being present.
Remove it from existing loans and we'll get default crisis round III. Not from foolish, greedy or folks who hoped to flip but had bad timing, but from careful people who had the rules changed on them mid-game.

One could remove the tax break from new purchases, or possibly even from new loans - the argument could go either way regarding refinancing of loans on existing purchases.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:52 am

piqaboo wrote:Remove it from existing loans and we'll get default crisis round III. Not from foolish, greedy or folks who hoped to flip but had bad timing, but from careful people who had the rules changed on them mid-game.

If the overall tax rate, sans deductions, is lower than the rate with deductions, then the impact would be lessened. Even so, it is something into which tax law writers would have to look as they design it.

I suppose a 'grandfather clause' for extant loans, even if it expires in ten years or so, would be possible.

But there, again, we start putting wrinkles in our 'flat' tax. Methinks those wrinkles were what killed it the last time it surfaced, even after the Democrat's House Leader (I think they were the majority at the time), Mr. Gephardt, proclaimed that the flat-tax side had 'won the argument'...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:13 am

Most mortgages are 30 years. Putting in a 10-year expiry clause doesnt sound thoughtful.
In effect that makes it a gov't imposed adjustable rate mortgage, imposed on people who paid the higher costs of having a fixed rate mortgage.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:31 am

piqaboo wrote:Most mortgages are 30 years. Putting in a 10-year expiry clause doesnt sound thoughtful.
In effect that makes it a gov't imposed adjustable rate mortgage, imposed on people who paid the higher costs of having a fixed rate mortgage.

Perhaps, but we should not limit tax policy on such things. Nearly every business decision is made with 'guesstimates' of what tax rates will look like in the near- and long-term. Ten years should be a more-than-adequate amount of time to review and renogotiate the terms of a home loan.

The call for higher corporate taxes is no different, is it not? If one invests in a business based on an assumed tax rate, and the government raises the taxes, is that not equivalent? I know most people hate evil, corrupt corporations but we usually only give them a year or so notice before their tax rates are hiked.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:13 am

The call for higher corporate taxes is no different

Who never pay taxes, we do
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Next

Return to The Debate Team