And Now For the News...

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: And Now For the News...

Postby Shapley » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:02 am

As you note, you've done it, I've done similar work. I'm sure Selma and Haggis, and all the other members of generations before the current one (what are we on now, generation 'Z', generation 'AA'?) have done demeaning and backbreaking work before we found 'real jobs'. This 'occupy' generation seems to think it is above such things.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:38 pm

I have personal memories involving orange groves and smudge pots...
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:36 pm

Arizona Department of Public Safety report that fliers have been found at Occupy Phoenix instructing people on when to shoot police officers.

I’m sure Piq believes that the Tea Parties also consider when to gun down police officers.

This becomes all the more alarming when you consider the [url=http://www.saysuncle.com/2011/10/27/occupy-whatever-stuff/[following:[/url]

Remember when the Tea Party was in Arizona and that one guy lawfully carried an AR-15 in a sling on his shoulder? Remember how it made the news and how the beltway crowd was really freaking the Hell out? Remember how MSNBC used selective editing to make it look like it was a disheveled white guy when it was really done by a clean cut black guy? And the media went into OMG!!!111 mode?

Funny story. Turns out, there’s a bunch of guys at Occupy Phoenix wearing camo, tactical gear and carrying around AR-15s and I haven’t heard a peep about it in the press.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:41 pm

I'm waiting for an Occupy White House group.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:02 pm

I thought there were two of those.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:02 pm

That's the seventh or eighth post the site or my computer has destroyed. Sheesh.

No haggis, i dont think the tp's have instructions on when to shoot cops. hippies? Maybe, but cops, no.
Re rape? I think you have no reason to know. Just as nice well to do republican men dont hit their wives.
I expect there is more sexual assault among the 'give me someething for free' occupiers than among the tp crowd,
but since one of the two men who have flashed me was 93 & had an erection, I'm not accepting your premise that age is prohibitive.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:22 pm

According to the Daily News, the NYPD is actually steering drunks and derelicts to Zuccotti Park to make life more dangerous for protesters in hopes that they’ll leave. OWS would have a problem with that regardless, as word’s bound to get around among the city’s homeless that there’s free eats and warm blankets downtown, but Bloomberg seems perfectly happy to let it go on and on. At best, he’s negligent about a threat to public safety; at worst, he’s complicit in it. What you’re looking at here, potentially, is an exhibit in the inevitable lawsuit against the city.

Another “Occupier” Raped, In Baltimore [With Update: Occupier Assaults 14-Year-Old Girl in Dallas].

You know, when the Catholic church covered up and enabled this kind of thing, there was a lot of outrage.

Can you even for a moment believe that if anything similar to these allegations were connected to the Tea Parties that every Liberal MSM outlet wouldn't move heaven and earth to prove them? Especially since they had no problems making up racist allegations. If they were willing to do that why would they stop at rape allegations?
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:36 pm

CNBC: Has Occupy Wall Street Had Its Day?

It’s starting to make Dems look bad, so watch the press coverage evaporate.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:17 am

piqaboo wrote:That's the seventh or eighth post the site or my computer has destroyed. Sheesh.

No haggis, i dont think the tp's have instructions on when to shoot cops. hippies? Maybe, but cops, no.
Re rape? I think you have no reason to know. Just as nice well to do republican men dont hit their wives.
I expect there is more sexual assault among the 'give me someething for free' occupiers than among the tp crowd,
but since one of the two men who have flashed me was 93 & had an erection, I'm not accepting your premise that age is prohibitive.

“Let it sink in: Their protests now need rape shelters. This is actually happening. And New York City lets it go on. . . . This can’t be repeated enough: With a few exceptions, foremost among them the New York Post, the coverage of OWS protests compared to the coverage of tea-party protests is the worst media double standard in recent history. Nothing compares, because nothing else involves this much distortion on both ends of the coverage.”

Fortunately, the Tea Parties are beyond the mass demostrations. While the occupiers have been holding their drum circles, the Tea Party movement -- now long past the mass-rally stage -- has been going about the less conspicuous work of registering voters and organizing. Last week the MRHYN was helping people sign up for the vote. It's amazing how many people never register. Alas, I've been grounded due to recovery from surgery.

Rallies without follow-through are just rallies. And the Tea Party movement is now following through with the grunt work of politics: Organizing precincts, waging primary battles, registering voters, and compiling mailing lists. Color me skeptical but the OWS don't seem the sort to organize any follow through.

Rallies don't win elections. Neither do drum circles. Organizing does. Let Occupiers and their supporters take note.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:13 am

Klingon Technology has arrived! :mrgreen:

check this out...

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/ ... uleindex=3
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:06 am

Harvard students setting up “Occupy” tents in the Yard while Harvard police screen access to the place,
[url=http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrodesk/2011/11/harvard-students-place-tents-harvard-yard-part-national-occupy-“movement/tqDjMgjk9rXNmqfZSOZAaN/index.html?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed7]1-percenters holding a protest inside their own gated community!”[/url]

I wonder if they will bring in a few convicted criminals in order to add “atmosphere” and “legitimacy” to the OWS camp. Nothing serious of course, no rapist for instance, but maybe someone who once was caught with a joint in his pocket.

Maybe they can get someone from Disney to give them advice on how to make it look “real,” you know, kinda like “Pirates of the Caribbean”
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:26 pm

You cannot make this up.

While police and medics were clearing up that disaster, 27-year-old Matthew Mitchell attempted to navigate his Chevy Impala through the swirling sea of flashing lights of the fleet of police cruisers and ambulances on the scene. Unfortunately, he plowed into the life-flight chopper’s tail fin. (Damages to the chopper were minor and it was apparently able to whisk an injured woman to a local hospital.)
A DPS trooper on the scene quoted Mitchell thusly:

“Why was the helicopter flying so low?”

via East Texas DWI Mayhem Kills One, Injures Three, Damages MedEvac Chopper, Spawns Stupid Quote of Year

Mitchell was charged with DWI

Condolences to the family of the deceased.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:34 pm

Obama signs bill declaring pizza is a vegetable
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:35 am

Interesting piece on William F. Buckley in the L A Times
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:53 pm

Buckley clearly wanted to make his mark and make it while young. His "sentiments" are total hogwash, as the tutors at Yale agreed, since they ran their courses the way they did. But by making outrageous statements, Buckley got noticed, and that was all that mattered.

We get a lot of that from our Maori "activists." They regularly make outrageous comments for the benefit of the Pakeha "news" media. Perhaps they learned from Buckley. By getting their names in the media, they become the "go-to" person in the newsrooms, and thereby gain influence they couldn't get in any other way.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:31 am

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:57 am

Hmmmmm, I use to round up rattlers when I was younger for beer money.......
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:40 pm

Hmmmmm, I use to round up rattlers when I was younger for beer money.......

When I was 16 my father took me out of school so we could go to Oklahoma and hunt rattlesnakes.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:15 pm

Obama, Congress End Ban On Horse Slaughterhouses

Another well-entioned law whose unintended (though not unforeseen) consequences were worse than the 'horrors' it was meant to address.

The supposed intent of the ban, to keep people from eating horses, was absurd and illogical. It was based on the emotional response to the news that it was happening, and not on any sound reasoning.

Americans, as a general rule, don't eat horse meat. But, others do, and the sale of horse meat is a viable trade. The idea that perfectly good meat should be wasted to satisfy the emotional response of some is simply silly. The horses will die, whether we kill them or not, and the meat will be consumed, whether by humans, animals, or bacteria. The ban accomplished nothing. Good riddance.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:44 pm

Horses are an efficient source of protein in the sense that they eat hay and the like. Carnivores are not, because they eat meat to produce meat.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team