My Weather Today

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: My Weather Today

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:21 pm

It was clear at home, with lots of stars, as I came out the door but foggy across Kearny Mesa and the Sandy Eggo river (such as it is). However, the weather prediction people are obsessing about an incoming high with Santa Ana weather due to focus over the Ellay basin, Ventura county, and reaching up northwards and southwards as the whim of the winds occurs. There was driveling about low humidity and high winds and fire hazards and suchlike.

I should enjoy my fog, and hope the whim of the winds is northwards.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:32 pm

Had a lovely time in the land of the Sandy Eggans this (long) weekend. Weather was fantastic and even got some pool time in (with appropriate cocktails). Toured the Midway and spent time in the Gaslight. Made the pilgrimage to Temecula Old Towne for some of our favorite olive oil and of course to the spice shop. Also hit several wineries...a couple of noteworthy ones! We are now enjoying some warm but windy weather back in NorCal. Rain and cool (cold to us) temps are forecast for Thursday.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:34 pm

Jamie just really doesnt want to meet us sandy eggans.
his loss ;)

DRY here Friday (12% humidity). Clear crispy.
Trick or treating stayed clear, if a bit nippy for us. Worked in our favor, as Altoid's costume was a polar fleece lizard.

Last week got down to 64 in the house one night. Might be turning on the heater in the ams for the comfort of our resident.
Days, the window stays open so the hound can get out.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:46 pm

Gack! That sucked. 10 inches of snow on fully leaved trees caused about 1000 power line failures in our area. We were without power from Sat. at 1 PM to Wed at 5 PM.

We called it camping. :evil:

Shopping generators now.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:12 am

86 degrees in Pearl City today. My 84 year old mother has lost her mind; she bought the kids a space heater. One of those with a fake fire burning in a fake fireplace. Now the kids will run the electric bill up while heating their rooms to 90 degrees or more.

When my 13 year old daughter heard about it she said "Cool!" No, hot.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:05 am

It was in the 70s yesterday, and was already in the upper 60s this morning when I came to work.

Oklahoma had tornadoes yesterday, and the storms that produced them are headed this way today, albeit diminished in strength.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:46 pm

Highs about 60 the last two days, might hit 72 today! Of course, the kids have a half day tomorrow and Friday off and it will plunge into the 40s, with possible snow on Friday. Yuck! (and, of course, I have a late meeting today, be home by 4:30 at the earliest - not much time to enjoy - sunset here is 4:55) Got them outside for a bit yesterday afternoon - chalk on driveway. Bella changed into sandals, even though it was already below 60 and in our last hour of daylight! I cleaned out the garage a bit - kept moving so I didn't need a coat. Upper 50s -about 60 on Sunday and I finally got my bulbs in and the lilac bush (which I bought in the end of May) into the ground. We've had frost, but no freeze yet - really pushing it for this area to have waited so long on this stuff... Managed to get enough leaves from the lawn by the back woods for one pile for leaf-jumping. I don't miss the raking involved with the 50-yr old maple that was in the front of our old house, but I miss the kids having many leaf-jumping days!
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:42 am

In the 50's-60's here today...cloudy, with intermitant showers predicted. All in all a good day to be working from home and enjoying the company of our wine group tonight.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:34 pm

41 and sunny right now, but it was sleeting about 15 min ago. So long as it's not raining or anything at some point this afternoon so Pumpkin and Bella can achieve their plan of climbing a tree at grandma and grandpa's house, whatever the weather does today is fine with me! Looking forward to warming up the house baking an apple spice cake for grandpa's belated b'day celebration tonight!
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:43 pm

We had our first evening with temperatures below freezing, dipping into the upper 20s overnight. There was ice on the surface of puddles and ponds this morning, and a pretty heavy frost.

We're supposed to have a high near 70, though, so it's going to warm up nicely. The Sun is shining, and it looks to be a good day for any Veteran's Day activities.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:49 am

Got rained on severely today. The cat and I were so bored with being in that when it finally stopped, I had to take him for a walk. On his little kitty leash, of course.

Startled a couple of the neighbors severely. Not used to cats walking on a harness and leash.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:52 am

Waves on the south shore are one foot; waves on the north shore are twenty feet.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:03 am

Looks like Old Man Winter has finally arrived.

After pleasant temperatures in the 50's...... We had a huge rain storm yesterday.
The wind this morning with at temperature of 35 made it feel frigid. Brrrrr...............
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby dai bread » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:53 pm

Summer is icumen in
Lud sing bee-swarm.
Well sings thu, bee-swarm.
Buzz buzz, buzz buzz.

An apiarist dealt with most of it. Flyspray did the rest; the stragglers who set about building another nest. Pity about that, but I think most of them flew away.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:46 pm

I find wasps to be curious critters. They seem to disappear, though I know not where, when the frost falls. However, even in mid-winter, I'll sometimes find one crawling across the floor of an upstairs bedroom, or out on the deck on a warm day.

The red wasps I usually leave be, unless they build a nest too near a frequented part of the house - near the front door, the hot tub, or the barbeque grill, for example. Yellow-jackets I kill right away if the nest on or near the house. I had a swarm of them on a corner of the house, beneath the siding, this Summer, which I terminated with a heavy spray of wasp killer. They seemed to just keep coming out of the siding once I started spraying. Aggressive little fellows.

Bees, I leave along, except the wood bees, which have a peculiar habit of building nests in the timbers of the deck. When I eventually replace the deck, I think I'll use steel and concrete.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby DavidS » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:47 am

Shapley wrote:I find wasps to be curious critters. They seem to disappear, though I know not where, when the frost falls. However, even in mid-winter, I'll sometimes find one crawling across the floor of an upstairs bedroom, or out on the deck on a warm day.

The red wasps I usually leave be, unless they build a nest too near a frequented part of the house - near the front door, the hot tub, or the barbeque grill, for example. Yellow-jackets I kill right away if the nest on or near the house. I had a swarm of them on a corner of the house, beneath the siding, this Summer, which I terminated with a heavy spray of wasp killer. They seemed to just keep coming out of the siding once I started spraying. Aggressive little fellows.

Bees, I leave along, except the wood bees, which have a peculiar habit of building nests in the timbers of the deck. When I eventually replace the deck, I think I'll use steel and concrete.

Q: Where do flies go in the winter?
A: Up chimneys.
Q: Why?
A: 'Cos it soots 'em.

My mother when a child used to think that the raisins in fruit cake were flies that had disappeared in the winter - she used to call it "fly cake"...

I was most surprised once to encounter mosquitoes in mid-winter in Holland, apparently a special strain that lives in the areas reclaimed from the sea.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:25 am

Well, we had an abnormally warm November with a total of .3 inches of snow. We're now leading Syracuse in snow totals - we have 2.1 inches and they only have .7 inches. On the weather channel this am - average snow for Syracuse as of today is 21 inches and last year they had 55 inches by now!! Craziness.... it's supposed to get to 58 today and rain, thunderstorms. A little snow for Friday, but then back in the 40s for a few days. May not be a white Christmas...

I can't really complain though - the major study I work on now is working with 21 high schools in NY state and we've spent from late September to yesterday administering surveys - so lots of travel for our study team. Not so much for me personally - I've been to about 8 schools, but I worry about our young staff in their older cars... We've been happy to only have had snow to worry about a couple of times. Won't start Time 2 surveys until mid-March - so we're hoping for a short snow season!

The kids, of course, really want snow...
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:35 am

We're in the 60s here. We had thunderstorms and lots of wind last night. Methinks it may be Summer's last gasp, though it seems to have hung 'round for much longer this year than many.

We've had more than enough rain to make up for the lack of it this Summer.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:12 pm

I can't stand this freaking cold--it's been raining here for about two weeks now, with more on the way. Yesterday it only got up to about 80 degrees and the lows have been around 70.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:28 pm

School holidays started with the rain. The rain has stopped today, so I must go and finish some videoing I have to do on one of the walking tracks around this town. I'm helping to compile a record of the tracks as at 2011 to compiment another that shows them circa 1998.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections