LAWS ARE FOR THE LITTLE PEOPLE

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

LAWS ARE FOR THE LITTLE PEOPLE

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Massachusetts Lt. Gov. cited for going 108 mph.

Note that this only happened after the Herald repeatedly demanded and finally forced the release of data showing that he was speeding.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: LAWS ARE FOR THE LITTLE PEOPLE

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:12 pm

Hmm...going 100 mph, not wearing his seat belt, and fell asleep? That's some poor judgement, there. I see in the article he said he was wearing the seat belt, nevertheless he was fined for not wearing it.

From my point of view most speeding tickets are just revenue. Sometimes it's a safety issue. I don't know if 100 mph was a dangerous speed for the conditions, but not wearing his seat belt and falling asleep certainly look risky.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:57 pm

Ha, former PA guv Rendell's car was stopped (but not cited) for going over 100, the driver was a state police trooper on his security detail. Next time I'm stopped, I'm gonna ask the trooper for the same road privileges as the governor's chauffeur gets. Around here troopers routinely pass me at tremendous speeds with no lights flashing. I'd guess they are easily topping 90.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:00 pm

What happens if you follow one? Not tail-gating, but close enough to match his speed.

It's not a trick I'd care to try here.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:07 am

. Next time I'm stopped, I'm gonna ask the trooper for the same road privileges as the governor's chauffeur gets.

I'm sure they'll yield to this iron logic, uh, unless you're one of the little people.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:20 am

Dai, getting a speeding ticket for what they call reverse pacing is permitted in my state. I call it entrapment, but then I'm part of the little people.

GCR, if that logic doesn't work, I'll try this one. Trooper, Sir, all I ask is that you treat me no differently than you would your siblings . . . :lol:
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:36 pm

Public employee union defends Denver cop who was fired for driving drunk at 143 mph in 55 zone

The Denver Police Department dismissed him. (A judge also sentenced him to five days in jail, fined him $300 and ordered him to perform 100 hours of community service.) Now, Saunders would like his job back — and the Denver Police Protection Association stands ready to help him.

Saunders — with the help of the union — filed an appeal to the Denver Civil Service Commission to request his job back.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:53 am

Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:03 pm

Cops among Florida’s worst speeders, Sun Sentinel investigation finds.

“We’ve all seen it, and now there’s proof: Police officers sworn to uphold our traffic laws are among the worst speeders on South Florida roads. A three-month Sun Sentinel investigation found almost 800 cops from a dozen agencies driving 90 to 130 mph on our highways. Many weren’t even on duty — they were commuting to and from work in their take-home patrol cars. . . . Speeding cops can kill. Since 2004, Florida officers exceeding the speed limit have caused at least 320 crashes and 19 deaths. Only one officer went to jail — for 60 days.”

Pay citizens a bounty for catching speeding patrol cars.

This is, anecdotally, becoming a problem in Texas as well. All police and most State and County vehicles are exempt from red light cameras.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Return to The Debate Team