And Now For the News...

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: And Now For the News...

Postby dai bread » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:34 pm

On the other hand, the carnivore doesn't have to spend most of the day eating.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:38 pm

With a carnivore, you have to feed it meat in order to get meat--not efficient. You could just skip a step and not eat the carnivore at all. With browsers and grazers you feed them plants to get meat.

Maybe I'm thinking of a protein source.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:40 pm

Horses are supposedly less efficient at converting hay to protein. It is said that cows and sheep will put on more weight than horses given the same volume of food.

Cows, having four stomachs, apparently have the advantage. We've discussed cross-breeding them with sheep to produce Shcowps over in the 'Something Different' thread.

What if we were to produce a herd of hows or corses? If we build a better cheval, will the French beat a path to our slaughterhouse doors?
Last edited by Shapley on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:42 pm

What if we were produce a heard of hows or corses? If we build a better cheval, will the French beat a path to our slaughterhouse doors?

The future is open wide.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:44 pm

I can't believe I mixfused 'heard' with 'herd'.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:46 pm

I don't have an issue with eating horse meat...I've had it before. This isn't new. Years ago when beef prices soared (60's???), horse meat was sold as an alternative for while. It's OK...not very tender though. Meat is meat.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:39 am

When I went thru tech school in Witchita, TX we had fried rabbit. Some of the Yankee lads were apalled that we were eating Flopsey, Mopsey and Bugs. I think it's more the environment you're raised in than anything else.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:00 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:When I went thru tech school in Witchita, TX we had fried rabbit. Some of the Yankee lads were apalled that we were eating Flopsey, Mopsey and Bugs. I think it's more the environment you're raised in than anything else.

I rather cotton to rabbit myself....
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:45 pm

jamiebk wrote: I rather cotton to rabbit myself....

Tastes like chicken!!! :lol: :lol:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:21 am

Haggis@wk wrote:
jamiebk wrote: I rather cotton to rabbit myself....

Tastes like chicken!!! :lol: :lol:

Yuch... go eat some frogs legs then.....
I was told that tasted like chicken..................

the people who told me that were WRONG

:mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Trumpetmaster wrote: [Yuch... go eat some frogs legs then.....

I remember gigging frogs with my father when I was 5 or so. I remember eating them but can't recall what they tasted like. Dad loved them!
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:47 pm

I think, after you've re-used the grease enough times, even a fried Twinkie will taste like chicken...

Methinks we change the grease more often these days, but back when I was a youngster, they got a lot of mileage out of the grease in the fryer...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:01 am

Haggis@wk wrote:
Trumpetmaster wrote: [Yuch... go eat some frogs legs then.....

I remember gigging frogs with my father when I was 5 or so. I remember eating them but can't recall what they tasted like. Dad loved them!

The ONLY time I tried them, I almost threw up the moment I tasted them. OMG..... they have a special "twang" to them.... :mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:50 pm

[quote="Trumpetmaster]The ONLY time I tried them, I almost threw up the moment I tasted them. OMG..... they have a special "twang" to them.... :mrgreen:[/quote]

I think you have to cook them first...... :lol:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:10 pm

Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Acupuncture works. I can't speak for wounded soldiers, but I saw it working on my wife's trigeminal neuralgia.

She would sit at the dining table with tears streaming down her face from the pain. This from a woman who bore 3 children. Her doctor, a middle-aged Caucasian, sent her to another doctor, an elderly Caucasian, who practiced acupuncture. He gave her a heavy dose of it- 3 sessions a week, if I remember rightly, for 2 or 3 weeks. Then the treatment tapered off to a top-up every six months, and eventually not even that. No more pain.

Don't ask me why it worked. I have no idea and as far as I know nobody else does either. But it works. I no longer regard it as fringe or alternative medicine. It is the treatment of choice for trigeminal neuralgia. The only other treatment I've heard of involves cutting the trigeminal nerve, leading to partial paralysis of the face with resultant drooling lopsidedness.

It was interesting when she changed practitioners. The elderly Caucasian was replaced by a middle-aged Chinese (from Singapore). He put his needles into different places from those used by the elderly Caucasian.
Why? That seems to be anybody's guess.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:54 pm

Because acupuncture works the same no matter where the needles are placed. There are no meridians in the human body, but there are bundles of nerves that control regions of the body. The combination of alternate stimulus to the regional nerves and the placebo effect seems to cause the brain to de-emphasize the pain from that area.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:15 pm

BS! Any quack using AP on the battlefield better damn sure hope his patents are unconscious and/or unarmed
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:07 pm

Sorry, Haggis. This is one time when I have the personal experience, not you.
dai bread
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team