Higher Education

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Higher Education

Postby jamiebk » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:23 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:
jamiebk wrote:UC system is considering a proposal where they would stop charging tuition...How does school get paid for you ask? They propose charging students 5% of their post-graduate income over a 10 year period. really??? :roll:

You're making that up!!!!!!!! PLEASE tell me you are making that up!!!

Nope...sorry. But I was wrong. It is 20 years, not 10 (and the students came up with the idea):
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=8509153
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:55 pm

[quote="jamiebk"(and the students came up with the idea)[/quote]

A sure sign that their education has been wasted...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:33 pm

I spent the morninig laughing at and being intrigued by a book called Worthless: The Indispensable Guide to Choosing the Right Major by a guy named Aaron Clarey.

On the back of the book is picture that (I assume) is Clarey louging on what looks like the beach with an Army t-shirt on smoking a big cigar. This is the guy who is going to give you or your kid some good practical advice on how to pick a major in college.

The book takes aim at “Big Education” and in non-PC terms lets the reader know what is happening inside higher ed. Clarey has a wicked sense of humor and his graphs and charts just add to the fun. There is one that shows the breakdown of what he calls “worthless degrees.” “Nearly 70% of worthless degrees are awarded to women” he states along with a chart showing the breakdown of 68% of women to 32% of males who get these worthless degrees. Worthless degrees include those such as Women’s studies, sociology, philosophy, psychology, education and the liberal arts and humanities. In other words, those majors that avoid math.

It does seem to me at times that colleges are becoming finishing schools for women. I wonder if this is why many men avoid them?

I would suggest any parents considering their childrens higher education take a look at it. It’s funny and I would suspect more informative than first imagined.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:56 am

What is the college graduation rate in this country? Correct answer: nobody knows.

All the statistics you’ve read about are at best partial truths. We basically track graduation only for “traditional” students. The problem is that these “traditional” students are no longer representative – most college students are now “non-traditional”: 38 percent of students enroll part time; some full-time students start again after some earlier post-secondary work; and a good many students who transfer to another institution are counted as dropouts. In fact some important news arrived today–one third of all college students transfer before graduating, so our statistics on college completion are even more unreliable than we thought.

The fact that we spend hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars on higher education and can’t determine something as basic as a national graduation rate is a dereliction of duty.

Well, I graduated from “night school” so I guess my graduation fell through the statistical crack
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Can't somebody count the degrees conferred? That's the inportant figure, not the drop-out rate.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:07 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:Well, I graduated from “night school” so I guess my graduation fell through the statistical crack

Me, too.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:13 pm

We Can’t Afford Any More In-State Students!

California state schools refuse admission to California in-state students.

For the spring semester of 2013, the California State University has told campus leaders they may not admit any Californian students to graduate programs

It seems wrong for a school funded by California tax payers to deny admission to in-state students to graduate programs
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:34 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:We Can’t Afford Any More In-State Students!

California state schools refuse admission to California in-state students.

For the spring semester of 2013, the California State University has told campus leaders they may not admit any Californian students to graduate programs

It seems wrong for a school funded by California tax payers to deny admission to in-state students to graduate programs

====================================================================================================================

I agree but have a couple of questions.
Maybe I missed something in the article.....

"Given that tuition covers only a fraction of the costs of these students' education, the university said it couldn't afford them."
"But the system said its campuses could admit out-of-state students, since they didn't cost the state money."

Is the program free for Instate students?
Do they get full payment from out of state students?
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:40 pm

Trumpetmaster wrote: Is the program free for Instate students?

Most state colleges have in-state tuitions much lower than out of state tuitions, primarily because they are taxpayer funded colleges that were initially set-up to educate taxpayers' children.

In Texas, state schools, by law, must give precedence to in-state students before trying to attract out of state students who traditionally pay more than in-state students. That's also the setup in Florida so I assume California taxpayer funded schools have similar rules.

I guess the graduate programs have more latitude in recruiting full price out-of-state (including foreign) students to the detriment of in-state graduate students. In Illinois a few years back many state schools actually set up recruiting offices throughout China trying to score the much higher premium paying foreign students.

Much of the Chinese (all?) tuition to U.S. schools is paid by the government.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:18 am

Haggis@wk wrote:
Trumpetmaster wrote: Is the program free for Instate students?

Most state colleges have in-state tuitions much lower than out of state tuitions, primarily because they are taxpayer funded colleges that were initially set-up to educate taxpayers' children.

In Texas, state schools, by law, must give precedence to in-state students before trying to attract out of state students who traditionally pay more than in-state students. That's also the setup in Florida so I assume California taxpayer funded schools have similar rules.

I guess the graduate programs have more latitude in recruiting full price out-of-state (including foreign) students to the detriment of in-state graduate students. In Illinois a few years back many state schools actually set up recruiting offices throughout China trying to score the much higher premium paying foreign students.

Much of the Chinese (all?) tuition to U.S. schools is paid by the government.

Thank you for the clarification. I will have to check on NY and see what the deal is here...
That's what I get for going to a Music Conservatory.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Previous

Return to Culture Connections