CCTV on America's streets

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: CCTV on America's streets

Postby analog » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:27 pm

This would be the first U.S. city to consider using drones and are, IMHO, inevitable.

Reminds me of that Robert Sheckley sci-fi story "Watchbirds", where they build drones to police the world.

found it's available to read online here : http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/ ... 6&pageno=2

first couple paragraphs:

When Gelsen entered, he saw that the rest of the watchbird manufacturers
were already present. There were six of them, not counting himself, and
the room was blue with expensive cigar smoke.

"Hi, Charlie," one of them called as he came in.

The rest broke off conversation long enough to wave a casual greeting at
him. As a watchbird manufacturer, he was a member manufacturer of
salvation, he reminded himself wryly. Very exclusive. You must have a
certified government contract if you want to save the human race.
[emphasis mine, a]

it was in a collection of short stories called "Untouched by Human Hands". I read that book in high school ('63?) and still vividly remember it for the unusually original and far out ideas. Every one was a treat.

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks for the link. will make time to read it soon. sounds v intriguing.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby analog » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks - hope you enjoy it. A short, light read yet thoughtful.

a. :)
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:42 pm

They can put all the drones they like in the sky. As long as you keep your head down so that they can't see your face, the monitors have no idea who you are. If you do something sinful, walk past your car and get on a bus. Pick up the car later.

It's amazing, the number of security people who think a camera placed high on a pole provides a photo of anything other than the bald spot on a villain's head.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:06 am

FORBES: Documents Reveal TSA Research Proposal To Body-Scan Pedestrians, Train Passengers. Plus, a TSA response.

I’m not as shocked as the reporter since I haven’t considered privacy an American right since the 70’s and only see this as another technology that will run roughshod over the Constitution - once again.

Welcome to a brave new world. All lower caps because real change isn’t heralded by bold caps; it sneaks in on bureaucratic policy letters
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:01 pm

Someone is empire-building.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:20 pm

...or maybe I hould start another thread "Hawaii, a whole 'nother country?

Hawaii may keep track of all Web sites visited.

“Hawaii’s legislature is weighing an unprecedented proposal to curb the privacy of Aloha State residents: requiring Internet providers to keep track of every Web site their customers visit. . . . Mizuno’s proposal currently specifies no privacy protections, such as placing restrictions on what Internet providers can do with this information (like selling user profiles to advertisers) or requiring that police obtain a court order before perusing the virtual dossiers of Hawaiian citizens. Also absent are security requirements such as mandating the use of encryption.”

Actually, I would have expected this of California first.

Note that they’re Democrats. I’m just sayin’.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:51 pm

San Francisco To Get Pre-Crime Surveillance Cameras

Pre-crime”? Wasn’t there a rather badly done movie about that recently??
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:20 pm

...or maybe I hould start another thread "Hawaii, a whole 'nother country?

They're gonna need a whole bunch of new people to read all that stuff...this is job creation by government!
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:52 am

This was all over the news yesterday here in SF. KGO Ronn Owens (talk show) did a couple hours on it. I was surprised that most people just shrugged it off. Logic being, that it would actually reduce the nu,ber of people needed to monitor public areas. With the "smart cameras" (my term), only a couple of people would be needed to surveil since the camera would do the heavy lifting in sorting out who looks suspicious and who doesn't.

Personally, I think this a huge invasion of rights...people counter that and say, that the cameras are there already so what the heck...

Welcome to 1984 (and yes, it is approaching the concept of "Minority Report", although they used some sort of telepathic being submerged in a tank to read the future acts that were to be committed)
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:10 am

I think the television series 'Person of Interest' deals with the concept.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:52 pm

Shapley wrote:I think the television series 'Person of Interest' deals with the concept.

More accurately...yes.

And lets not forget that these cameras and apps work both ways: http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... ctice?lite Live by a sword, die by a sword 8)
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:49 pm

Here in Honolulu we have those about 30 of those cameras in Chinatown and 4 or 5 in Waikiki. Privacy (in public places, no less) is not the issue here, it's maintenance. It was revealed on the news that in Chinatown only four cameras were actually working.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:13 pm

People here sell fake cameras. They don't fool the expert criminal, though. Just the opportunists who commit petty crime.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:30 pm

dai bread wrote:People here sell fake cameras. They don't fool the expert criminal, though. Just the opportunists who commit petty crime.

It's been my experience that the fake cameras do absolutley nothing. I urged my church to put in a good CCTV surveillance system several (5??) years ago and some idiot suggested the fake ones. They went with the fake ones. The number of cars vandalized in the parking lot have not declined and someone tried to force an entry to the computer training room. The church "authorities" are re-visiting the idea of putting in real CCTV now.

We have decades of evidence both in the UK and here that thieves, murderers and rapists ignore CCTVs. When I worked at TI we had the same thief break into our sales office in Canada four times in six months. He was well known and never spent a day in jail. He repeatedly stole laptops and once stole a complete desktop, including the old cluncky monitor. When it became apparent that justice is lacking in parts of Canada we just closed the office there, putting a few more Canadians employees on the dole.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:04 pm

The city of Alexandria, VA is adding several red-light cameras. What's interesting is that they are unapologetic about them being for revenue, not safety.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:25 am

barfle wrote:The city of Alexandria, VA is adding several red-light cameras. What's interesting is that they are unapologetic about them being for revenue, not safety.

we have those red-light cameras popping up all over Long Island.
You are ABSOLUTELY correct it is for revenue NOT SAFETY.

Everyone slows down coming to the intersections now (even if the light is green)
because they are afraid to get caught as the light is changing (and they change FAST in our area)

This increases the risk of accidents as people are not thinking about being careful (then again.... the drivers here drive like they got their licenses
out of a Cracker Jack box)

If you get one of those tickets (I did about a year ago) they provide a web site and you can watch your offense on a video.
You can then decide to pay or fight it....

Good Grief... Big Brother is definitely watching.....
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby barfle » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:09 am

On the topic of "being careful," I remember one incident where there was a car towing a trailer doing 35MPH on a road posted at 45MPH. Super cautious, right? Scared to death of the trailer. So scared they did 35MPH through a red light.

That scared me. :roll:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:18 pm

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:50 am

Big Brother is watching.