Iran and the Bomb

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

If Iran develops a nuclear weapon will it use it?

yes
87%
no
13%

Total votes : 23

Re: Iran and the Bomb

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:53 pm

Iran warns world of coming "Great Event"

While I believe this is probably just more posturing, I'm fearful enough of Iran's motives to be concerned.

A nuclear attack on Israel, or indeed simply a conventional attack, will bring swift and severe retaliation from Israel and possible the U.S., especially if Iran attacks, say, our naval forces in the Gulf.

Iran strikes me as being just as nutty as Time McVeigh who truly believed that his attack would initiate a great uprising in the U.S. I fear that Iran may similarly believe that an attack on Israel would cause the Arab world to rise up in support. While I'm certain that the "Arab street" would be in favor of action, their countries are a little more level-headed and would sit out any war inspired by Iran. Regardless, the potential for loss of life is great and the resultant reaction probably would be swift and devastating.

I fear we live in perilous times.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:07 pm

It's my understanding that Ahmadinejad has an apocalyptic view rooted in Islam. The true believers will have no fear of being vaporized in a nuclear war as Allah guarantees them paradise.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:24 pm

I suppose the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I can't think of any other reason why Arabs would support Persians.

The sooner the little man in Teheran goes, the better.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:45 pm

On Thursday it was reported that U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta believes there is "a strong likelihood" that Israel will strike Iran in April, May or June.

Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei: We'll help any nation or group that confronts "cancerous tumor" Israel
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:01 pm

Iran will soon unveil "big new" nuclear achievements, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Saturday while reiterating Tehran's readiness to revive talks with the West over the country's controversial nuclear program.

I don't know if it is related but Iran shut down all internet connection this weekend.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:33 pm

Hugh Tomlinson of the Times, reporting from Riyadh, says Saudi Arabia will acquire nuclear weapons within weeks of a successful Iranian atomic effort. Citing Saudi government and military sources, Tomlinson wrote that “warheads would be purchased off the shelf from abroad, with work on a new ballistic missile platform getting under way to build an immediate deterrent; according to Saudi sources … The Times has learnt that commanders of Saudi Arabia’s Strategic Missile Force have been actively considering the missile platforms on the market.”
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:48 pm

Shapley's wish--"we live in interesting times."
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:27 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:Shapley's wish--"we live in interesting times."

Indeed, when a rich country can even consider buying a coupla nukes off the shelf we certainly "live in interesting times"
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:30 am

I wonder where they shop. I haven't seen them at Wal-Mart or Target.

We are getting a Menard's store soon, maybe they'll have them.

I wouldn't mind have a couple of warheads in the basement, just in case...

I wonder if they have child-proof triggers...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:20 pm

Bearing in mind that the 9/11 hijackers were Saudis, I find the prospect of Saudi Arabia being able to buy nukes on or off the shelf rather alarming.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:03 am

I have to be honest.
I do not trust any of them......
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Previous

Return to The Debate Team