Afghanistan

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Afghanistan

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:51 am

Really? 10 years of fighing and Americans dying and we never had a topic for Afghanistan? Sheesh!

I can see why she’s “somewhat troubled.” If there’s one thing the Democratic Party stood for between 2003 and 2008, it’s the principle that the opposition party should tread lightly when criticizing the president lest it inflame opinion abroad. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton defended President Obama’s apology to Afghan President Hamid Karzai and warned that the GOP’s condemnation of the apology could further “inflame” the situation.

Last week, U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan accidentally burned some Qurans, which sparked deadly protests in the country. Obama apologized to Karzai for the “unintentionally mishandled” books – a move that has been criticized by some Republicans.

“I find it somewhat troubling that our politics would inflame such a dangerous situation in Afghanistan,” Clinton told CNN on Monday.

Apparently the Afghan government is claiming that NATO has agreed to prosecute the soldiers who burned the Korans

3. NATO officials promised to meet Afghan nation’s demand of bringing to justice, through an open trial, those responsible for the incident and it was agreed that the perpetrators of the crime be brought to justice as soon as possible.

This is from the “Media & Information Center” for the government of Afghanistan, so it’s semi-official – which doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not propaganda.

However in light of the multiple apologies by our president and Pentagon it’s not even remotely possible that our government would ever agree to such a thing, right? Right??
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: Afghanistan

Postby Shapley » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:00 am

The Qurans which were burned were reportedly defaced with jihadist slogans and other scribblings done by prisoners. I'm wondering why the Afghanis seem quiet about this defacing, given their concern over the need to respect the book...

What is the official means of disposing of a defaced Quran? I don't remember seeing that in my Bluejacket's Manual...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:00 pm

Wait!....What?...We have troops in Afganistan?!
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:09 pm

Goodness knows, I don't think fast, but surely the obvious thing to do with defaced Korans in places like Afghanistan and Pakistan is to exhibit them. Anyone who says Western troops did the defacing can be praised for thinking the troops are clever enough to write Pashtun vernacular.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:27 am

The ever reliable United Nations has joined the Hamid Karzai in demanding disciplinary action against the American soldiers who burned the holy Holy Koran

Jan Kubis, the “Special Representative for the United Nations Secretary-General in Afghanistan,” exploited Obama’s apology in demanding that the soldiers be punished. As she pointed out, if an offense is significant enough to apologize over, there must of course be retribution in order to demonstrate that the apology was “sincere.”

Nice work, Mr. President.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:50 pm

I wonder if Jan Kubis will see to it that the rank and file Taleban and similar are informed of any punishment meted out. Should I hold my breath?
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby lliam » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:10 am

How many more times must we get this news?????????

2 July 2012 Last updated at 13:28 GMT

Afghan policeman kills three British soldiers

Major Andy Cox said the loss would be felt deeply across the Helmand Task Force.

Three British soldiers have been killed by a policeman in southern Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18670175
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Return to The Debate Team