My Weather Today

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: My Weather Today

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:05 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:Honolulu has been too cold.

....and I know I'm going to regret this, but how cold was it?
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:31 pm

74 and cloudy here. A light SE breeze.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:54 am

Haggis@wk wrote:
Giant Communist Robot wrote:Honolulu has been too cold.

....and I know I'm going to regret this, but how cold was it?

64 at night, and after heating up all day a high of 77. You might think that sounds warm, but it took all day to get that high, and there was a constant wind making it feel quite chilly.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:24 am

Yesterday it didn't get above freezing in barflesylvania. That's the first time for that to happen this winter.

Brrrrrrr!
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:42 am

Giant Communist Robot wrote:64 at night, and after heating up all day a high of 77. You might think that sounds warm, but it took all day to get that high, and there was a constant wind making it feel quite chilly.

I remember Tanja once writing that they were 'freezing' in Cambodia, with lows all the way down in the 60s. There was a rush on winter clothing which, not surprisingly, is not easily found in Cambodia.

'Freezing' is a relative term, I suppose...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:01 pm

freezing is relative at different times of the year for those of us with real seasons. 65 in August is freezing. 40 in February is downright toasty! I'm acclimated enough now that it has to get to 25 or lower before it really feels cold.

We had highs that didn't get out of the 20s over the weekend and the lake effect finally remembered what it was supposed to be doing and we got a foot of snow from Saturday early am to mid-day Sunday. The kids were in heaven - this is the most snow we've gotten at once all winter. Takes our total up to 40.5 inches for the season - over half-way to our average total for today (66.7 inches I think I saw in the paper this am). We now have snowmen, sled tracks and snow angels all over our lawn. Mid-thirties the next couple of days, so it'll melt down a bit, but slowly... We still have to finish off the driveway as the snowblower couldn't be convinced to start yesterday. At least this late in the season, afternoon sun, even if the temps didn't get above 27, melted the remants of snow where we shoveled, so it was very clear this morning (except for the strip we didn't start on...). Predicted snow showers this week, with rain/snow by the end of the week - should be fun. Might actually feel like winter!
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Shapley wrote:'Freezing' is a relative term, I suppose...

When I was in Somalia we had locals working the airport lights, mostly replacing burned out lights, those temporary light systems go through a lot of bulbs. At night the temps dropped to the low 80s and we had to provide blankets to the workers to stop them from shivering; relative indeed.

Today's cold and miserable. Last night we had rain and ice rain and poor Haggis got covered in ice crystal when he went out to do his "business." Poor baby looked miserable when he came back in and I had to chase up a towel to get him dry. The three Chihuahuas took one look at the rain and decided to wait. They bear verrrry close watching when this happens!!! :lol:

Schmeelkie, you're a stronger "man" than I :roll: :roll: The MRHYN, in that superior Yankee manner of hers, sneers at me when I start the car to warm it up when it's 50s outside...I just endure the ridicule; 50's are cold!!!!!
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:46 am

Temperature in the high 30's to low 40's today with a deluge of rain.

Got soaked this morning on my walk with Jenny. She seemed to like it.... I guess putting her coat on, and holding the umbrella over her
shelters her from the driving rain.... meanwhile, Dad got drenched and is now at work still trying to dry out........ while Jenny is
wrapped up in her bed under the blanket dozing away.....

I wouldn't have it ANY OTHER WAY! :mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:21 am

Wow...what a day it was in Sonoma County yesterday. Highs near 80 degrees (78) and clear sunny skies. Today is equally as clear but a bit cooler with highs slated for the low 70's. No breeze to speak of. I REALLY need to get out on my bike for a nice long ride.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:23 pm

A fine day with a light SE breeze. 71.5 and rising.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:38 am

25 degrees this morning when Jenny and I took our walk.
Forecast to be in the mid 50's this afternoon!!!

Spring is on the horizon!

:mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:14 am

Unusually nice weather in north Texas for most of last week and will last into the weekend. 82 is the forecast for today, 77 yesterday. Clear sunny skies with beautiful breezes. I assume Jamie's nice weather has slid down here in Texas, Thanks Jamie!!! Slobberball again today!
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:56 pm

Cool, cloudy, with drizzle. 70 degrees outside. A storm is predicted for tomorrow, with winds of 110km/h. We'll see what happens. These things usually pass by this town.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Well, at least we had above average snow for February! 25.6 inches rather than 21.5 or something close to that. As of Saturday our season total was 52 inches, usually pushing 80 by this time of year. We're beating Syracuse in the Golden Snowball, however. They've only got 46 inches or so... We also had above average temps for Feb, so it's amazing we got that precip in snow instead of rain.

March is already up to it's usually craziness...High winds on Saturday - expected gusts to 70mph - certainly seemed like we got that. In the 40's that day, but the wind didn't encourage outside activities. Yesterday was colder - only up to about 34, and some snow. Kids were disappointed by it, however. We were waiting for the afternoon for there to be enough to play in, but it really peaked about 11am (maybe 1.5 inches - barely enough to cover the grass), then the sun came out and melted much of it by mid-afternoon. Got another inch or so in the evening and then the temps dropped! Only 16 when we got up this am - still only to 19 now! That's pretty bitter for this lame winter! But, it being March, we'll be in the 40's tomorrow and suppposed to hit 58 on Wednesday! (and back into the 30s by Saturday). Fun, fun...
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:22 am

dai bread wrote:Cool, cloudy, with drizzle. 70 degrees outside. A storm is predicted for tomorrow, with winds of 110km/h. We'll see what happens. These things usually pass by this town.

The storm bypassed us, but caused a bit of havoc elsewhere. Today was cool but fine in the morning, now it it cloudy and warm again. Distinctly autumnal. What's the adjective for Fall?
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:45 am

24 degrees this morning.
the forecasted high for tomorrow is 70

let's kiss winter good bye here in the Northeast and welcome in SPRING!!!
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:46 am

24 degrees this morning.
the forecasted high for tomorrow is 70

let's kiss winter good bye here in the Northeast and welcome in SPRING!!!
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:59 am

Top 5 warmest winter ever in contiguous US according the the Weather Channel! NY one of the states in top 5. See map further down in this link - NO states below average temps for the winter! Also note that all the top 5 warmest winters were post 1990....
http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/looking-back-winter-2011-2012_2012-03-07

We hit a record high of 68 yesterday - average highs are still just upper 30s.
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:10 pm

Rain. Lots of rain.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:57 am

71 degrees yesterday.
36 this morning........
Trumpetmaster
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections