Gas Price Outrage!

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Gas Price Outrage!

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:23 pm

Shapley wrote: We flew down to Dallas Friday evening

Sorry you didn't have time to meet up. Let me know the next time you're in the area.....
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:55 pm

I'd have called you Thursday, when I knew the itenerary, but I knew there wouldn't be time. My wife has family in the area, on both her mother's and her father's side. We visited with some, but didn't even have time to let them all know we were in town.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:49 pm

Shapley, see your PM.

Gas had fallen slighly in the DFW area, $3.71 at Sam's (It was $3.75 last week) and $3.76 elsewhere in the DFW area.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:24 am

Ours has fallen, too. From a high of $3.78 beside the bridge to the current level of $3.66.

It was $3.61 for a short time at one station, while ti was $3.72 across the street. They finally seem to have settled on the $3.66 figure, as it's held steady there for about three days.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:51 pm

I'm usually filling up for just under $4/gal, although I see prices in Maryland and Vahjiniyah going as high as $4.25.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:17 pm

Gas is still priced with a nine-tenths of a cent figure. If gas goes to say, five dollars, that means the pumps claim accuracy within one part in five thousand. Fluctuations in temperature will cause gas to expand or contract a bit. Do you believe those pumps are that accurate?
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:34 am

They claim, in hot weather, you should fill your tank in the morning, when the cooler gas temperatures ensure that the gas is at its maximum density. I've no idea if that is accurate. Methinks, with underground fuel tanks, it probably makes little differenct, but could with tanks above ground.

The Department of Weights and Measures of each state checks the pumps for accuracy about once a year. They take a one gallon container and pump a gallon into it, to see if the meter reads one gallon. If it does, the pump gets an approval sticker, if not, they have to repair or replace the pump. The gallon meter reads in 1/10 th of a gallon, so the accuracy can be assumed to be no more than 1/2 of that, or 1/20th of a gallon, I reckon. The old pumps clicked in 1/10 of gallon increments, so there was no interpolation of them, though the new ones roll smoothly, meaning you might be able to interpolate them within about 1/4 or even 1/8 of the 1/10 increment, or 1/40th or 1/80th of a gallon.

Of course, that doesn't take into account how much leeway the Department's container may permit.

I generally trust that the dollar figure is accurate as a multiplier of the volume figure. It would be easy to do the math.

I think the old 9/10 of cent measure had to do with the tax rate originally. I've heard it said that the original excise tax on a gallon of gas was 9/10 of a cent, hence the pricing. I've never seen that confirmed, though.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:35 am

Good to see you back on the board! Your absence was quite noticable.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Shapley wrote:Good to see you back on the board! Your absence was quite noticable.

Thanks. I tried to get on the board a while back and was unable to. I was afraid they'd taken the board down permanently. I sense it's days are numbered. I've been going through the recipes topic and copying those I want.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:30 pm

I always thought the .9 cent pricing was the old $9.99 trick. It looks so much cheaper than $10.00, and petrol at $2.19.9 looks cheaper than petrol at $2.20.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:42 am

I drove by a station on the north shore of L.I. last night.

Premium gas was selling for $3.77 per gallon IF you paid cash.
If you used your credit card, the price was $5.77

Stations usually charge 10-20 cents a gallon more when using the credit card
as they have their "fees" to pay the credit card companies......
I still think they make out like bandits....

but TWO DOLLARS more...........................

I don't believe there are any regulations at this time here in NY,
but that is absurd.... :x
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:30 am

Giant Communist Robot wrote:
Shapley wrote:Good to see you back on the board! Your absence was quite noticable.

Thanks. I tried to get on the board a while back and was unable to. I was afraid they'd taken the board down permanently. I sense it's days are numbered. I've been going through the recipes topic and copying those I want.

Hmmm. I haven't had any trouble getting on in a long time, but the quiet nature of the board led me to believe others may have.

I installed a direct link to the board in my favourites a while back, so I don't have to go through the B.com home page, because of problems I encountered with the B.com site a few years ago.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:57 am

Shapley wrote: I installed a direct link to the board in my favourites a while back

Me too.

I fear GCR may be right about the upcoming demise of the BB. I've noticed that since the station went "pay to play" that the volume of posters has decline and is possibly approaching a critical point. I hope we can still post our meaningless yet oddly satisfying posts on the Facebook site but fear it wouldn't be the same. I would miss arguing with GCR or sympathizing with Selma. I truly miss OT's take on things. He always was a gentleman in his posts here. His FB posts are quite something else.

Other than one blithering idiot who hasn't posted much lately I would sit down to dinner with everyone who posts here despite our political/philosophical differences. Indeed I've done so with OT, Piq, Altoid (okay she's not an official poster on BB) and Selma. I've even spent the night with OT and his gracious wife, splitting a bottle of good scotch with OT.

I would love to hear Jamie expound on his diving experiences or Shapley's talks on his interesting family. Barfle has always struck me as a consummate southern gentleman (they are fewer of us every day, Barf) and TM's Yankee POV would be equally enjoyable.

Ah well, is there a word for pre-nostalgia"?
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:38 pm

I don't believe there are any regulations at this time here in NY,

I'm pretty sure there is in their agreement with the credit card company. If you notify them they'll straighten out those station operators.

I installed a direct link to the board in my favourites a while back

Favourites? What are you running, a British version of Internet Explorer? I direct linked the board years ago; on this machine I use Chrome, for W7 the latest IE. Several times last Sunday I tried to get on but only got error messages.

I've noticed that since the station went "pay to play" that the volume of posters has decline

Only a few post now, and when was the last time we had a new member? There are probably a few lurkers, too.

Other than one blithering idiot who hasn't posted much lately I would sit down to dinner with everyone who posts here

I've always said this is a Rorschach-like experience.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:21 pm

I also miss Shos. He was always a wealth of knowledge, even if I didn't agree with his politics.

He used to browse here periodically, but if he does so today he does it anonymously. His user account shows he has not logged in since August of last year.

I hope he is in good health.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Yes...many old names have gone by the wayside. To be honest, I am somewhat surprised that they are still on the air...perhaps only so, so that they can sell the B.com domain. Still I enjoy the BB and echo Haggis' comments regarding the interaction between everyone. You all have been fortunate to have connected with each other...in person or in the "e-world". Everyone is so diverse and personally, I derive a great deal of insight from everyone's postings...whether I agree with them or not. The exchanges are welcome and have broadened my view of many things. And Haggis...don't get me started on "dive stories"...that will certainly chase off anyone who might be inclined to jump in on the board...lol :lol:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:36 pm

I too wish Shos & O.T were still posting here, but in these days of Social Media I think bulletin boards are yesterday's technology and won't be around much longer. I believe it's possible to get a fair degree of privacy on FaceBook if you set your account up accordingly. At least I hope so. I'm careful about what I post there even so.

I'm grateful to this board for introducing me to several good people in the U.S., some of whom I met on my visit in 2010. Not to mention the introduction to Fat Ivor's.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:34 pm

That was a meal, wasn't it . . .
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:25 am

Haggis@wk wrote:
Shapley wrote: I installed a direct link to the board in my favourites a while back

TM's Yankee POV
Ah well, is there a word for pre-nostalgia"?

Today is the Dead Sox 100 Year Anniversary.
In honor of this occasion....
The teams will wear their throw-back uniforms to the day of Pre-Internet, Pre-TV, Pre-Politically correctness........... :-)
AND
AS USUAL.......
the Yanks will STOMP the Dead Sox today and all will be happy in YANKKEELAND!

How's that Haggis! 8)
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:28 pm

Not to mention the introduction to Fat Ivor's.

A gustatory experience best shared with agreeable dining companions and beer!!!

Needless to say, a like invitation is extended if your travels ever take you near the great state of Texas; Tex-Mex, barbeque and ribs that beg to be eaten. Thank God I’m a carnivore!!!!

AS USUAL.......
the Yanks will STOMP the Dead Sox today and all will be happy in YANKKEELAND!

How's that Haggis!

My mother, a die hard Atlanta Braves fan till she passed away in 2003, use to refer to players that left Atlanta to play for the Yankees in the past tense as if they had died. Every other Atlanta player was always “little ol’” as in that “little ol’ chipper Jones.”

She had a sweatshirt that said “My two favourite baseball teams are the Braves and whoever is playing the Yankees” :lol:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team