Last to Post

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Last to Post

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Wed May 23, 2012 7:17 pm

I may be the last to post.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Re: Last to Post

Postby dai bread » Wed May 23, 2012 8:43 pm

No way. I've got a time zone advantage.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby monkeymd2b » Thu May 24, 2012 12:36 am

This is pretty funny...I'll have to see tomorrow who truly was the last to post. Though to be fair, it was never specified what the end point is for this. Like last to post before tonight, the current lunar cycle, the end of the world. LOL!
Simple words to live by...

When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them on the head.
monkeymd2b
4th Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu May 24, 2012 2:34 pm

Well, of course I meant the last to post before this board disappears. I think three days passed and I was to only one to post. Sooner or later Beethoven Radio will come to the conclusion maintaining this board for four or five posters is more trouble than it's worth.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Thu May 24, 2012 7:01 pm

From my experience with a website I'm involved with, I think it likely that the bulletin board doesn't take much maintenance at all unless it's hacked. Next time that happens, I expect the board will be closed, but until then I think they'll leave it running.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri May 25, 2012 6:00 am

Giant Communist Robot wrote:Well, of course I meant the last to post before this board disappears. I think three days passed and I was to only one to post. Sooner or later Beethoven Radio will come to the conclusion maintaining this board for four or five posters is more trouble than it's worth.

I hope you are wrong.....
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Fri May 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Just when I felt this board was unused a flurry of posts arrive.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue May 29, 2012 6:23 am

Giant Communist Robot wrote:Just when I felt this board was unused a flurry of posts arrive.

you awoke the sleeping giants... :mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue May 29, 2012 10:27 am

Sorry. I've been rather busy lately, and internet access has been spotty. I hope the board is around to let me catch up later.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:51 am

Busy plus a few weeks where I couldn't sign in for some reason. Got it fixed now... This will be my most hectic of the summer months, but at the moment it's not too bad...
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:33 pm

:mrgreen:
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby dai bread » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:16 pm

Famous last words?
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:49 am

dai bread wrote:Famous last words?

you beat me.... 8) :mrgreen:
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:19 am

Just back from vacation. We left for Barcelona on May 18th, and took a cruise out of there on the Norwegian Spirit beginning May 22nd. We enjoyed stops in Toulon, France; Livorno (Pisa), Italy; Civatavecchia, Italy; Naples, Italy; Mykonos, Greece; Istanbul, Turkey; Izmir (Ephesus), Turkey; Heraklion, Crete, Greece; and Venice, Italy. From Venice, we traveled by rail to Rome, where we spent a day and half before flying home.

We passed over Greenland on the way home, with clear skies providing a beautiful view of that expansive piece of icy real estate. It was something to see. I've flown over or near it in the past, but always at night or when it was overcast. This was my first chance to actually see it, albeit from 38,000 feet.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:17 pm

I sometimes wonder whether or not there'll be a bulletin board when I stop in to check it.

Fortunately, there are still a few of us die-hards around. I wonder how the radio station is doing.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:07 pm

I hope they're thriving. Goodness knows, they deserve to.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:41 am

first to post today... 8)

oops... wrong thread... :lol: :mrgreen:
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:03 pm

I wonder how the radio station is doing.

When I was a boy I used to see the flyers for record clubs--classical music was always the largest category, and the rock and roll I was interested in was either absent or represented by about five albums. Times have changed. Interest in classical music has shrunk to a niche. A specialized format for radio. Not an area of growth. Nevertheless, there's revenue available.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:35 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:When I was a boy I used to see the flyers for record clubs--classical music was always the largest category, and the rock and roll I was interested in was either absent or represented by about five albums. Times have changed. Interest in classical music has shrunk to a niche. A specialized format for radio. Not an area of growth. Nevertheless, there's revenue available.

I was in the Columbia Record Club for years. There was actually a separate 'club' for classical music, although you could always order from the jazz, rock, soul, or pop music listings. The preference you specified when you joined the club determined which flyer was sent. Being in the Classical Club, my flyer usually included about a dozen pages (working from memory) of classical, four or so of jazz and blues, and about two each of pop, rock, and soul. I always assumed the other 'clubs' had a similar ratio for their interests, but I could not say for sure.

In my own area, classical music clubs and symphony societies were the best way to find classical music recordings, since music stores, or stores that carried music (we had no actual music stores in my immediate area), had smaller selections of classical music, if they carried any at all.

When I joined the club, you had your choice of reel-to-reel tapes, LPs, Cassettes, or 8-tracks (showing my age here). Actually, I don't recall 8-tracks being an option in the classical club, but there fore the pop and rock clubs. Reel-to-reel tapes dissappeared from the listing, and then 8-tracks. CDs were added. Laser disks may have been an ordering option at one time, but I don't think they were ever available as an automatic selection. At one point, I recieved notice that there discontinuing the LPs,and that I had to choose cassettes or CDs. I ignored the order, such that they no longer sent me a selection automatically, which was nice. I had long since met my obligated purchase, so I enjoyed having the selections available, but I hated having to send in the card to tell them not to send me the 'selection of the month'. Not specifying the format ended that annoyance.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:21 pm

I belonged to the World Record Club at one stage, many years ago, and got some real gems from them, notably Solti's recording of "The Ring of the Niebelungen" for Decca. But there came a dry patch when I didn't fancy ordering anything. They complained, and told me if I didn't buy something my membership would lapse. I thought about it, then tallied up my records and realised I could listen non-stop for a couple of months at least, and let them cancel.

Even then, they were moving into the pop field, using the term broadly.

It wasn't always like that. Once upon a time, classical music was a common part of an entertainer's repertoire. Comedians would write skits set to it. The British weather forecast as an opera, for instance. To the tune of "La Donna e Mobile" "Biscay and Finnisterre/The outlook is sinisterre/Somewhere (I forget) and Lundy/Clear up by Monday." Brilliant! But commercial interests gradually dominated. When that sketch aired, everone knew "La Donna e Mobile" because it was played on the radio regularly. Not any more.
dai bread
1st Chair

Next

Return to Culture Connections