Healthy economy equals quiet bulletin board

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Healthy economy equals quiet bulletin board

Postby dai bread » Thu May 17, 2012 6:51 pm

I think they're right.

It's always the same- the pundits at home say their currency is strengthening. They never say the other currency is weakening. If I was a European supplying outside Europe, I'd quote in anything but Euros at present.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue May 22, 2012 2:17 pm

Existing Home Sales show improvement. Both quantity and price are up about ten percent over last year. Lawrence Yun, NAR Chief Economist, says the housing recovery is underway.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Wed May 23, 2012 1:26 pm

From today's FHFA Housing Price Index:

“Consistent with other housing market indicators, the FHFA HPI showed stronger house prices
in the first quarter, most notably in March,” said FHFA Principal Economist Andrew Leventis.
“Increased affordability and a somewhat smaller inventory of homes for sale are positively
impacting house prices.”

If I could characterize this, I'd say things are firming up but not likely to gain any traction. Uncertainty in Europe will put things on hold, and a jobless recovery is dubious at best. The economy needs to move away from marginal industries and towards more robust if we want to avoid large job losses with every hiccup. Any day now Obama will announce victory over all economic problems.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Wed May 23, 2012 8:47 pm

What do you think the chances are of Germany walking away from the Euro? Their taxpayers were fed up long ago with having to bail out a large chunk of Europe, and that chunk is growing, if sensation-seeking "news" media are to be believed.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu May 24, 2012 2:29 pm

dai bread wrote:What do you think the chances are of Germany walking away from the Euro? Their taxpayers were fed up long ago with having to bail out a large chunk of Europe, and that chunk is growing, if sensation-seeking "news" media are to be believed.

I'm flattered you asked my opinion. Here's an idea no one seems to be discussing. Currently, the European Stability Mechanism serves as a firewall to limit financial contagion. I don't think there's any way of knowing how effective it will be in case of a default. The ECB's solution has been to ask for voluntary haircuts on Greek bonds. Many of those bonds have been purchased by hedge funds. The funds are refusing the haircut because they are covered by credit default swaps that will be triggered if the cuts become involuntary. Either way they win. The question, really, is can the ESM prevent harm outside of Greece.

AFAIK, within Germany the Free Democratic Party and the Christian Social Union (both minor parties) are the only opposition to the ESM. In the near term Germany has benefited from the European Monetary Union, but it looks like an unsustainable situation. Political solutions will have to be found. Media aside, the best way to judge what's happening is to watch the elections.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Thu May 24, 2012 7:11 pm

A strong anti-austerity feeling is coming through. Understandably, the public don't see why they should suffer because of a crisis caused by investment bankers, who used to be called, with perjorative undertones, money-lenders.

In this country, right-wing zealots and opportunists are screaming for austerity and the sale of State assets, despite the fact that Government indebtedness is less than 40% of GDP and the rest is private-sector borrowing. There are a lot of influential people looking to make money out of the current financial crisis, and it would not surprise me if the whole thing was engineered for that purpose. Especially seeing the bankers who caused the strife are still in business.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Fri May 25, 2012 1:52 pm

In this country, right-wing zealots and opportunists are screaming

When the screaming starts, thinking stops. Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue May 29, 2012 10:34 am

We right wing zealots always call for austerity in government. It's sort a philosophical thing.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Tue May 29, 2012 8:34 pm

Sorry, Shap. It's what comes of living in a tolerably prosperous economy. We don't need austerity on the European pattern, but some people are screaming for it anyway. We need good stewardship, and, apart from some notable exceptions, not all in welfare, we get it.

In welfare, "Working for Families" amounts to a subsidy to employers so that they can keep wages low. People on $100 000 p.a. can get it if they have enough children. 6, I think, is the requirement.

In other matters, the Govt. insists on selling off revenue-producing assets and spending the proceeds on non-revenue-producing items. Nothing is said about how the revenue will be replaced. We are supposed to believe that Govt. spending will be reduced.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Wed May 30, 2012 3:24 pm

We need good stewardship

I like Keynes idea where the government runs a surplus, preferably by means of spending cuts, during times of economic growth; then run a deficit through spending increases during recessions. Looking at the GDP identity one can see that running a surplus through higher taxes removes money from the economy, whereas spending cuts simply don't add to it. Consequently the economy can continue to grow at it's natural rate. During a recession the spending adds to the GDP--and the best way to do this is through temporary entitlements because the government can crowd out and cannot efficiently allocate.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Wed May 30, 2012 5:16 pm

For the GDP figures coming out tomorrow I expect about 40% of the increase to be due to government spending.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu May 31, 2012 2:31 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:For the GDP figures coming out tomorrow I expect about 40% of the increase to be due to government spending.

I don't know what I was thinking. I know government spending occurs in cycles and Q1 is always the low point.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:23 pm

Jobless Claims and Manufacturing continue to deteriorate. New Fed forecasts are revised downwards. Worrisome.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:14 am

Giant Communist Robot wrote:Jobless Claims and Manufacturing continue to deteriorate. New Fed forecasts are revised downwards. Worrisome.

yes... very worrisome

jobless rate keeps going up here on Long Island
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:06 pm

Trumpetmaster wrote: jobless rate keeps going up here on Long Island

Blacks Take It on the Chin in New York

“The New York Times is reporting that more than half of all black New Yorkers are now unemployed, and that they remain unemployed for a year on average after losing their jobs. . . . Numerous businesses have reported payroll increases, and important professional industries like law and accounting are beginning to recover. Blacks, however, have been largely left out of this recovery—including college-educated blacks, who in many cases have been forced to settle for jobs well below their qualifications.”

They told me if I voted for John McCain we’d see an economic catastrophe for African-Americans. And they were right!

Did I hear that Long Islanders are actually considering becoming a state??
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:49 pm

I continue to notice that no one wants to blame the higher minimum wage, whose increase coincided with the beginning of the recession, and which, in my opinion, will continue to delay hiring until inflation catches up with it.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:58 am

Well, if the title of this thread holds any water, the economy must be robust.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:15 am

Euro-Zone youth unemployment hs now ticked back up to its euro-era record-high of 22.6% (18-year highs). … Italy was the hardest hit, back above 35% with its largest rise in youth joblessness in 5 months, Ireland rose back above 30% for its biggest rise in 11 months as France jumped to two-year highs and Spain and Greece are practically deadlocked with ~53% of their younger-generation out of work – new all-time records.

This is where our future is headed right now if we don’t make some sharp turns, and soon. By all means, federal government: Please keep on with our monstrously unsustainable habit of spending money we don’t have on programs we don’t need — it’s not like our country’s prosperity or my children's generation level of opportunity are at stake, or anything.

Sigh
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:17 am

these transfer payments consume 100% of federal tax revenues, leaving nothing at all to pay for any of the actually legitimate functions of government, nothing, everything else in the U.S. Government is paid for with borrowed money
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:26 pm

In order to make up the shortfall of $1.3 trillion (the difference between spending and revenue in 2011), taxing only the top 1%, you would need to raise their taxes an average of about $800,000 each. Given that fewer than a third of the top 1% have incomes over $1,000,000, that might be a bit difficult...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team