Expresso Kamuchea

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Expresso Kamuchea

Postby tan » Mon May 14, 2012 7:52 pm

before our story can really begin, let me introduce the penguins: as of now there are Mom our morning cleaner, she is still a bit afraid of westerners but does a good job until it comes to bathrooms there she becomes absolutely hopeless. So Serreise, our evening cleaner and kitchen help has do redo the job. Needless to say she is underwhelmed by that but at least the bathrooms are clean.
Then there is John, my ‘nephew...
He is a young- and brilliant chef from England- out of all places...
We met in senmon on that famous day when vivi got so drunk with her tourists in a Phnog village... now that must have been a baaad batch of rice wine! Vivi narrowly missed a waterbuffalo in the middle of the road, but true Parisienne that she is, sailed her Camry around it at the last second,
Meanwhile John, fresh in town and already hopelessly in love with Cambodia parked his rented motorbike carefully in the line of bikes that habitually garnish the entrance of our bars...
So vivi sailed right into that bike, with the predictable chain reaction. Mot , Vivi’s boyfriend meanwhile was busy cooking a snake curry- for Vivi and me because he had been too drunk to kill that damn pit viper that came into the bar, so i had to kill it. Vivi took one look at the curry, and ran to the bathroom to throw up. So John and I shared the curry while Mot repaired the bike and now John will work off and on for a year with me to get ready for his own restaurant probably in battambamg. Poor john the last weeks must have taken quite a bit out of him, but his enthusiasm seems undiminished, ahh youth.
We declared him my nephew, makes both our lives easier nobody would ever get it that we are friends and just cook together in a repressive and family oriented society as this one. (Him being my nephew makes our lives much more easy and. I’m extremely popular in the circles of women with daughters of marriage age. :lol:
tan
don't judge book by the movie
tan
3rd Chair

Postby tan » Tue May 15, 2012 3:07 am

This is soo Phnom Penh: this just came in from a friend on my facebook

So I found out from my upstairs neighbour that I was on my balcony last night when he got home at 1AM and I was asking him about the skunks. I swear I am not losing my mind. I think I will hide my keys tonight. I wasn't even drunk.
Unlike · · 2 hours ago near Phnom Penh ·
You and 2 others like this.
=
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
it's so good to be in the world of the living again!!!
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue May 15, 2012 8:41 am

Good to see you back and posting! Your updates on all things Cambodia have been missed.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby tan » Tue May 15, 2012 11:54 am

dearv Shapley, and good to be back:
this being one of those nights: full house and everybody their own language and not much more- and i did fire serreise- explaIin LATER, and john n me had to cook and translate at thee same TIME.... but yeah, it is good to have vivi in town tomorrow we'll have a good gossip session...
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu May 17, 2012 10:48 am

Welcome "home" tan...nice to see you posting.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby tan » Fri May 18, 2012 7:49 pm

Sometimes it is good to be old... kinda hard to jail grandma. Just got back from pp, where i had to sort my visa overstay (ouch! expensive and if they had wanted they could have deported me- just for a day and i would not have minded Bangkok) but still. They let me get away with a fine and - or so they say on Monday i can pick up my passport. Let’s hope so, this being Cambodia and all. :oops:
After that ordeal i did go out and party- it was so good to see my friends.
Next week a day in snooky, where i bought some kitchen stuff from Pim and Wilma that I have to pick up. More travel, but at least i can fill you in on the latest thereabouts
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby tan » Sun May 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Of course cambo ain’t paradise- you all know that by now. A few days ago John asked me how does one become a war Photographer... well i answered one does not become one- one either is or is not. (????)
Let’s face it he does take great pictures.
then yesterday, when the busses were empty and nothing doing, we closed down the place for lunch- we have some stuff to do today and tomorrow in pp and snooky, so what the...
We went for lunch at the lazy Mekong daze, facing the river and the bridge. Palm trees, nice breeze ‘n all that.
And then: right before our eyes: somebody committed suicide by jumping off the bridge to land on one of the pillar’s pontoons that are yet not flooded. ( kinda ruins the appetite).
We did go to the bridge and i said, ok John, find out for yourself: get a boat go there and take pics and see how that feels (at least nobody will be shooting at him and let’s see if he tosses his cookies)
Meanwhile nobody can get to the body... the water is still way low trying to loop the poor sod in- it does not work. Then john shows up in a boat: cold as ice photographing the whole thing. (Could have been al rockoff or Shawn Flynn for all i know) me up on the bridge i already made friends with the police- told them i was pp post (sorry Ross Dunkley). let me spare you- and myself the grizzly details. of the whole thing. it was bad.
Well the kid did the job- all the way to the morgue... Let me spare u the pics- they are good but not something one should see on good ol’ Beethoven. ( but they ARE good).
When he came back he was –yet again- not the worse for wear: how was it i asked. Well weird: it wasn’t me that took the pics, hesaid...
..Aaaw we might lose a brilliant chef. Food for thought i said: now imagine they are shooting sat you while you do this.....- he seemed unimpressed.
And he does get along with a certain famous war photographer who i happen to know...
( His mom’s gonna kill me, John’s that is,.)
PS: RIP Horst Faas
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby tan » Thu May 24, 2012 3:06 am

well, it has been a rocky week with tears and a lot of laughter also:
later more but for now: john and me decided to do something about publicity. For free, and the expat way..( actually it is getting a bit out of hand) : and please do remember khmer 440 is NOT for the faint heated, but this one is fun:[url][/url]http://www.khmer440.com/chat_forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23443 :lol: :lol: :lol:
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu May 24, 2012 2:38 pm

Hmm....I will have to try the roast penguin.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby tan » Fri May 25, 2012 2:36 am

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 3584_n.jpg

today's good morning cambodia photo

and
a wee bit of rain last night:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 2587_n.jpg
Giant I'll have penguin schnitzel i think.. :lol: .
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Fri May 25, 2012 1:56 pm

I can't find penguin brats at Safeway...
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby tan » Fri May 25, 2012 6:05 pm

same problem in cambodia- all the penguins are at angfkor wat and it's hot and they do not keep too wel... :lol:
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby tan » Sat May 26, 2012 2:47 am

we took a wildish ride on the bamboo bridge today:

http://external.ak.fbcdn.net/safe_image ... _629_t.jpg

:mrgreen:
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby tan » Sat May 26, 2012 2:55 am

we took a fun ride on the bamboo bridge todaty
http://external.ak.fbcdn.net/safe_image ... _629_t.jpg
:mrgreen:
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby tan » Sun May 27, 2012 1:36 am

tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby tan » Sun May 27, 2012 2:58 am

hun's nephew was playing with his (badminton)court last night. nice guy btw never mind that... we can play badminton whenever we want- i do not John does. so he went to play: the gang in my place sat in happy expectation,with joihn thinking he would make meat of those little guys: of course: we all knew- he came back wiped out by those fellows.... :idea: hihihi- so now we know why the kr won: determination. a good time was had by all. :mrgreen: poor john after all we put himk through- this was the first time he looked truly shattered...
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby tan » Sun May 27, 2012 3:16 am

Trashcan Cambo style- kinda defies the purpose, but we all agreed: let's give them points for trying!

Image :lol: :shock: :shock: :lol:
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby tan » Sun May 27, 2012 3:50 am

'In the Cambodia daily a while back HE (his Exclency Hun Sen) told the country to drink more beer to support the new beer company. I wonder who has shares in it.
dv8inpp
A Moment of Clarity

wow we expats must be the greatest patriots of cambo!!! :mrgreen:
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby tan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:22 am

[/url]sorry guys, it got a bitbusy here, with the ban on alkohol in cambo, due to the elections! hihihi, enjoy the article.
PS one has to love this town.

[urlhttp://www.phnompenhpost.com/images/stories/news/national/2012/120604/120604_04.jpg][/url]..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby tan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:49 am

[url][http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3441950094873&set=a.1113368321784.2017276.1454210970&type=1&ref=nf/url]
8 am: Joe and Dennis observing the election rules at the penguins... :shock:
tan
tan
3rd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections