My Weather Today

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: My Weather Today

Postby Shapley » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:25 pm

Glad to hear you are okay.

Our news, too, has a habit of selecting toothless spokesperson when they visit certain areas. I've been in some of the communities and know that there literate, clean cut people living there, but they never seem to interview them. Maybe they have the good sense not to speak to the media, or maybe they're all at work, and the ones they interview are typical of the people that wander the streets during the day...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:08 pm

The news in my paper was alarming. I'm glad the Haggises are o.k., though it seems to have been a fairly close call.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:19 am

Haggis@wk wrote:As a humerous aside, I noticed that most TV stations, when portraying the South, seem to find the dumest cracker around to interview. I noticed yesterday that the interviewers were looking for the trademarked "Dallas Wimmen" big hair blondes, mostly well dressed and well spoken seem to be the pattern of the day, GCB, if you will :lol:

First - Glad you and your family are all OK!

Second - The TV Stations do that here in the North as well..... they ALWAYS find people who are "DUMB AS A STUMP" (forgive me dear Lord for being judgemental)
and interview them.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:45 am

I hope Hurricane Sandy, or post-tropical cyclone Sandy, or low-pressure-area Sandy or whatever she's being called today has left our Beethoven.com friends unscathed.

My best wishes for you all!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby DavidS » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:01 pm

Shapley wrote:I hope Hurricane Sandy, or post-tropical cyclone Sandy, or low-pressure-area Sandy or whatever she's being called today has left our Beethoven.com friends unscathed.

My best wishes for you all!

I second that.
The tsunami scare in Hawaii following the BC earthquake seems to have calmed down.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:19 pm

I think I heard in passing about the tsunami, and only after the warning had been lifted. Didn't mean to slight GCR and others on the Islands.

The news of the tsunami warning seems to have disappeared under all the Sandy news here in the Midwest.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:16 am

We are OK.
Not alot of rain but the wind was terrible.

We are about 1/2 mile north of the evacuation zone. Did not get any water in our street, but
We lost power Monday at about 3:30PM. Transformer blew... and we are still without power.
Fortunately our house did not sustain any damage but a tree fell on the house right next to us.
Numerous LARGE trees fell and the local streets are blocked

I was able to drive around the area yesterday. The national guard has roads blocked to the south shore as it was devastated by the surge.

I made it to work today and able to communicate to you from here.
90% of Long Island lost power.

7-10 days is what the power company is estimating. they just said that is "best case scenario" and it could be longer.

The important thing is all my family is safe, anything can be replaced. It is just an inconvenience now for us. That is NOT a complaint
as people have lost everything.

TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:44 am

Glad to hear you are well. Our prayers are with those who suffered damage or loss due to the storm.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:07 pm

6 inches of water in the basement, one downer pine tree that we hope we can save, and 51 hours without power. We escaped relatively unscathed, I would say. We call it "camping" when the power is out like that. Cook on the grill. Read by candlelight or flashlight. Keep warm with a propane powered portable fireplace. Not much different than being in an RV.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:23 am

BigJon wrote:6 inches of water in the basement, one downer pine tree that we hope we can save, and 51 hours without power. We escaped relatively unscathed, I would say. We call it "camping" when the power is out like that. Cook on the grill. Read by candlelight or flashlight. Keep warm with a propane powered portable fireplace. Not much different than being in an RV.

glad you are all OK!

we are still without power since Monday at 3:30PM.
I have 2 propane tanks and we cook on the BBQ.
we have LOTS of candles and flashlights so there is no problem there.
Heat.. extra blankets. we were in the upper 30's to low 40's last night.

:-)
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:39 am

we got power back yesterday late morning.
ours was an inconvenience.
my thoughts and prayers go out to the families who lost loved ones, homes, and are displaced
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:57 am

Glad you guys got out relatively unscathed. Most of my friends and family in the NYC/NJ area have power back and have suffered no more than inconveniences. One friend who lives in the Bronx, after spending as much time getting to and from work as he did AT work on Wed, rode his bike into work the next day - 1.5 hours, but worth it to him... I am so not in good enough shape to do something like that. We got a little panicy up here - couldn't believe the wind and rain we got 4-500 miles away, but very little damage. Half a tree fell on my parent's house, but only slight damage to the roof and gutters, so they're not too worried. They closed the schools Tuesday - made the decision Monday evening, and we woke up to almost nothing. A few roads closed for downed trees/power lines, only about 20,000 in the county lost power, not a big deal. Kids enjoyed their 'hurricane day'. That is, until Pumpkin started itching - went to dr - he actually got chicken pox!! He had missed the second shot and dr said sometimes there are 'wild-type' chicken pox that will affect a few kids - he had had another case the week before. No one else in the family seems to have gotten it, but I've pretty much been home since. So felt like I was in a similar situation to friends who had kids home all week as schools were closed! Today, while my dad is working the election, my mom is watching Pumpkin on his last day home. But I'm only really getting two full work days, as the kids have a 1/2 day Thursday, and are off Friday (and Monday, but my parents will be watching them then). Very lucky it hasn't been too busy at work for me...
Much colder over the weekend - got our first snow on Sunday - not much more than a dusting, but the kids were excited and played outside a little in the morning while it was still sticking - at least to the deck. Happy that it will warm up over the weekend as the only effect of Sandy at our house was a ton of leaves in our backyard. Usually the leaves stay in our forest or blow into the yard behind ours, but Sandy was blowing from the opposite of prevailing winds... Again, kids are looking forward to have a decent leaf pile to jump in for once!
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:04 am

I'm glad you all fared well enough, other than the minor inconveniences. I recall the ice storm of a few years ago when we went a week without power. We stayed on night in the house, and then had to move out. Fortunately, we had friends with an empty house they let us use in their absence. The motels and hotels were all full.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:34 am

We lost power for about 18 hours, but it seems we lose power when it's foggy. Or rainy. Or clear. Or cold. Or warm. The weather wasn't all that bad during the storm itself. All of our trees seem OK. We had one branch come down, and a couple that broke but didn't fall - those will take someone with ropes to cut off sometime, so that's the only financial issues from Sandy.

We had a visitor from Australia making a stop on his way to London. He couldn't get out for two days, but eventually he made it across the pond.

Whew!
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:40 pm

Glad you're doing well. I wasn't sure how far south the storm extended.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:57 am

It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature....

OMG... They predicted snow north and west of NYC. I am on Long Island.
We got 4 inches of snow.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those who lost so much and are without power.

BTW - There was a report on the radio here.... LIPA (they suck) that LIPA was not
allowing the out of area workers to perform work UNTIL a LIPA person came to the location.
The management teams threatened to fire any worker who did not listen.
There were a number of firings as the out of area workers did not care as there were
elderly, people with infants in the cold, so they fixed the lines that were down without LIPA there.

There was a crew clearing a tree from our governors driveway. they were sent away without clearing the tree
and the senior emergency person sent in a "county" crew.....When the governor heard this.... the senior
emergency person was fired.

This is just STUPIDITY.

There are also stories that the poles that are down are the telephone companies.
LIPA left the location (instead of putting in a pole and wiring up the power lines)
to report the downed pole to the phone company.....

This is just CRAZY.....

60K additional outages here due to the storm last night.

We are blessed that we did not lose power again....
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:00 am

11 degrees this morning.... -5 wind chill.... brrrrr
old man winter has returned... :mrgreen:
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:36 am

We were expecting cold in the teens or single digits, but it looks as if we stayed in the 20s. Zero wind, the flags were hanging with nary a ripple.

Keep warm!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:57 pm

The thermometer on my deck read 9.0 this morning. Pretty chilly!
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:05 am

7 degrees this morning. good grief....

they predict a warm up to the 30's next week.... :mrgreen:

I'm ready now...
Trumpetmaster
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections