Election Year 2012

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Election Year 2012

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:22 am

From the accompanying release:

Democrats said their costly plan ($1.2 trillion, including interest) would “save or create” up to 4 million jobs and bring the unemployment rate down to about 6% today. The unemployment rate has not fallen below 8% at any point in the last 36 months. Furthermore, the official unemployment rate does not actually count unemployed people who have given up looking for work.

The above chart shows the “labor force participation rate.” This statistic represents the share of working-age Americans who are either employed or unemployed but looking for work. It is not a pretty picture. Only 63.7% of working-age Americans are currently in the workforce – the lowest in almost 29 years!

To put it another way, 36.3% of working-age Americans do not have a job and are not even looking.

After 3 years of failure, it’s time to try something that will work. Let’s ramp up energy production. Let’s cut away government red tape that slows down job creation. And let’s design new tax code that is simpler, flatter, and fairer. Let’s pass the Jobs Through Growth Act, and create jobs by growing the economy – not the government.

I think it’s smart of them to focus on total-employment numbers, rather than the headline “unemployment” rate. But I’m predicting little interest in these numbers from the mainstream press, who seem uninterested in anything that doesn’t fit the Obama-recovery narrative.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: Election Year 2012

Postby jamiebk » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:15 am

Glad to see you are quoting a truly "unbiased" source. The market and economic reports do not support this.
"Republicans Worst Nightmare" = economic recovery before the election....
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:02 pm

The new America
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:08 pm

I believe my guy came in third.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:35 pm

THAT ’70S SHOW: Everything Old Is New Again:

A new Star Wars movie.

Odd-even gas rationing.

Iran is threatening us, and it’s open season on Americans in the Middle East.

The United States has a president who solves all our problems by making them worse.

What’s next, disco?
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:52 pm

There is no "great communicator" on the horizon to get us out of this tailspin. I predict 4 more years of malaise and decay.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Return to The Debate Team