And Now For the News...

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: And Now For the News...

Postby Shapley » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:30 am

Trumpetmaster wrote:The extremists burning our flag.
The pastor who burned the Quran.

I, myself, am not harmed when either a book or a flag are burned. Many of my fellows 'on the right' argued for a flag burning amendment to restrict the court-approved right to do so in protest. I was not one of them. I could sit and watch a Bible, whether Catholic or King James or whatever, be burned without feeling the need to do harm to the burner, his Church or community center, or his nation's embassy. I do not understand those who see this sybolism as overly destructive. I would not trample on a flag or burn one in protest. Nor would I trample on one's holy book or burn it in protest. Our courts, however, have upheld the right to do so.

I find it fascinating that 'the left', whose position it was that there existed a right to burn flags and denounced those that called for an amendment to prohibit it, now denounces those who made the ridiculous film and are calling for its removal from YouTube and Google. A few short years ago we were largely united in supporting the rights of cartoonists to publish their cartoons lampooning the Prophet Muhammed, and denouncing Iran for putting a bounty on Salman Rushdie's head. Today, there seems to be a willingness to denounce the producers of this film and a willingness to hand them over to the mob for justice. How have we sunk so far? It's not about the film, it's about freedom.

I bought a Bible once and, realizing that I did not like its 'modern language' translation, simply tossed it in the trash. I suppose that made me a terrorist in some peoples' minds, but I thought that was a fitting place for it.

Why can't we all just get along? I don't know. I suppose it's in our nature not to do so. The History of Man is a History of War. We build monuments to those who die in battle, and we heap honour upon those who return from them. "With your shield, or on it" was the admonition to the Spartans. It was an admonition to stand firm in the face of adversity - to not back down even to the point of death. I suppose, then, it must depend upon what one means be 'getting along'. If 'getting along' means respecting your neighbor's rights to exercise his freedoms as long as they don't encroach upon your own, excepting within mutually-agreed upon limitations, then getting along is fine. If, on the other hand, 'getting along' means accepting the encroachments of your neighbors upon your ground, even to the point of enslavement and theft, then I must argue against 'getting along' in favour of 'standing your ground'.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:57 am

A few short years ago we were largely united in supporting the rights of cartoonists to publish their cartoons lampooning the Prophet Muhammed

Go back and re-read the history. Not one newspaper in the U.S. has ever published the cartoons, they were too afraid to. It's all right to burn a bible or denounce Christ; his supporters probably won't behead you.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:27 pm

Not one newspaper in the U.S. has ever published the cartoons, they were too afraid to

Is this true? Liberals can be brave when their principles are threatened, as in the civil rights movement of the 60's. I feel the failure to publish is more consistent with a belief that religions of others warrant some respect. They simply would be embarrassed. I could say they have become the stooges of Islam, but what I see is differing motives with the same result.

It's all right to burn a bible or denounce Christ; his supporters probably won't behead you.

Members of the religious right have murdered doctors who perform abortions.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:36 am

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:38 am

Go back and re-read the history. Not one newspaper in the U.S. has ever published the cartoons, they were too afraid to.

True, but they did pay lip service to the freedom to publish them, even if they lacked the cohones to do so themselves.

Many, including our local paper, did publish a cartoon of a Republican Elephant crucified under Mr. Santorum's name a while back. Apparenlty, blaspheme is okay as long as it won't get you killed.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:39 am

As the saying goes: It ain't the hill they wanted to die for...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Having made a cursory examination of Islam, I found that there are several teachings in the Koran (by whatever spelling you prefer) that tell its followers to not pick fights, but if the other side starts one, to "fight like Allah" and destroy them. In the 1600 years or so since the Koran was written, there's been plenty of opportunity for Muslims to feel offended by just about any culture you care to name.

To put it another way, they were not brought up like you and I were. The idea of freedom and/or liberty is foreign to them. Submission to authority is how to get to "heaven."
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:49 am

As the Wall Street Journal pointed out, Hillary attended a performance of The Book of Mormon on Broadway and did not condemn it. Thus, while we're now telling Islamists that we do not support efforts to denigrate anyone's religion, what we really mean is that we do not support any the religion of anyone who might kill us for it. Mormons and Catholics aren't going to burn our embassies down if you make fun of them, so it's okay for the Secretary of State to laugh at a musical that lampoons the one and for the President to tell the other that their infallible Pope is wrong on contraception...

BTW, Hillary and Mr. Obama are now appearing in public service ads on Pakistani television apologizing for the film (which may not even exist, and which they obviously haven't seen) which is advertised on the trailer that supposedly caused the brouhaha.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:50 pm

A sad day for the Texas State Fair folks and Texans in general. A 52-foot-tall metal-and-fabric cowboy that's an icon of the State Fair of Texas burned down this morning. Big Tex's 75-gallon hat, 50-pound belt buckle and slow drawl have been greeting state fair visitors since 1952. This year's fair, which closes Sunday, had been celebrating Big Tex's 60th birthday.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:51 am

This year's fair, which closes Sunday, had been celebrating Big Tex's 60th birthday.

He shouldn't have tried to blow out the candles...

But, he went out in a blaze of glory, a fitting end for a cowboy, no?
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:35 pm

Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:47 am

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:54 am

A horse is a horse, of course, of course.
Unless, of course, he is the main course...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:02 am

In the end, horsemeat is just meat. We Americans are squeamish about eating them, though I've never understood the reason for that. I've eaten horsemeat in France, or so I was told, and did not find it unpalatable.

It's always fascinated me that it is often considered to be immoral or inhumane to eat horsemeat, but not immoral or inhuman to turn the horsemeat into glue or dog food. While I can understand a certain respect being extended to horses by those who have ridden them into battle or who have grown up in their company, such people make up only a small percentage of the population.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:06 am

Picula ad Caval

This traditional Italian recipe will serve 6

2¼ pounds ground horse meat
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2-½ ounces ground cured lard (or pancetta)
2 onions, minced
1 glass dry white wine (though some Italian chefs prefer broth)
6 ripe tomatoes, blanched, peeled, seeded, chopped, and drained
2 bell peppers, ribbed and seeded, then diced
2 Tbsp. minced fresh herbs (basil, sage, and rosemary in proportions to taste)
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat the oil, lard, and onion in a skillet. Sauté until the onion has become golden but don't let it get really brown. Add the horse meat and brown it, stirring frequently. When it has browned, sprinkle in the glass of wine and reduce the heat to a bare simmer. Cover it, and let it cook for at least an hour. Mix in the chopped tomatoes and diced peppers, and continue cooking for another half hour.

Ten minutes before removing the dish from the stove, sprinkle the minced herbs over everything. Serve it hot with salt and pepper to taste.

Pastissada

Another traditional Italian recipe from the Verona area.

2 pounds horse meat
2 ounces lard or porkback fat
2-3 carrots, cut into slivers
2 sticks celery, diced
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves
a dozen coriander seeds
1 bay leaf
1 clove garlic
1 bottle Italian red wine
flour, enough to brown the meat with
¼ cup olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. butter kneaded into enough flour to make a small ball
paprika to taste

Slather the meat with the lard and slivers of carrots. Dice the other vegetables and put them, with the meat and spices (except the paprika) in a bowl. Pour the wine over everything, then cover and marinate in the refrigerator for three days, turning the meat occasionally.

Pat the meat dry with paper towel (keep the vegetables and the marinade), flour it, and brown it in the oil over a brisk flame. Add the vegetables. When they've cooked for a few minutes, pour the marinade over the meat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about three hours. Once the meat is done, remove it to a platter saving the sauce that has been formed with the marinade.

Return the sauce to the fire, thicken it with the butter-flour ball, and season it to taste with paprika. Pour the sauce over the meat, and serve with a good traditional side dish.

Filet Mignon (Filly Mignon?)

This simple French classic serves 4.

4 four-ounce filets of horse
4 slices bacon
salt and pepper to taste

Prepare exactly as for a filet mignon. Wrap outside of filet with uncooked bacon slice and secure with toothpicks. Broil to taste.

Sauerbraten (Sour Roast)

Practically a German sacrament

2-½ lbs. horse meat roast
4 strips bacon (optional)
soup vegetables: carrot, celery, leek (optional), parsley root (optional), onion (optional)
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 pint red wine (optional)
1 garlic clove
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp. juniper berries
3 allspice corns and/or cloves
3 peppercorns
1 thyme branch
¼ cup pork lard
1 Tbsp. flour (optional)
½ cup raisins
salt
pepper
maple syrup (to taste)

Vigorously rub the roast with the bacon. Clean and wash the vegetables and cut them into pieces. Bring the vinegar to boil with some water or stock, then let it cool down a bit and add the meat, garlic, spices, and the vegetables. Let it marinade in a closed bowl for several days (but at least 24 hours) in a cool place.

Remove the horse meat from the marinade and roast it in the lard. Then slowly add the marinade, together with the vegetables and the spices. Braise it in the oven for 2 to 2½ hours at 350 degrees. Remove the bay leaves, the cloves and the juniper berries from the gravy. Strain the gravy, and perhaps thicken it with some flour. Add the raisins and season it with salt, pepper, and maple syrup. Serves 4.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:38 pm

I don't know that I've ever had horse meat offered to me, but I don't see any reason to not try it.

I remember sometime in the 1990s someone in California had a petition to outlaw the production of horse meat for human consumption. The arguments were along the lines that recreational animals shouldn't be used as a human food source. No health reason, no humane reason, they just couldn't fathom eating Dobbin. It made no sense to me, but what really ticked me off is that the Libertarian Party of California actually supported the measure (with "Save the horses!" being their only supporting argument).

That prompted a letter from me to LPOC headquarters, but I didn't hear back from them. And I stopped paying dues.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:48 am

[quote="barfle"]I don't know that I've ever had horse meat offered to me, but I don't see any reason to not try it.quote]

There was a report a few weeks ago that Taco Bell used horse meat in their product....
If this is true... AND you ate Taco Bell, you may have already tried horse meat...
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:45 am

I tried to point out to some of the 'save the horses' advocates here that, even if you bury the dead horse it will still be eaten by something. They did not appreciate it. Somehow, in some way, they have it in their mind that the consumption of horse flesh is immoral, though they can never seem to justify that with any sensible argument.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Previous

Return to The Debate Team