My Weather Today

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: My Weather Today

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:38 pm

Three days in the middle of last week - woke up to temps around 6-8 degrees, and only got up to 13. Back into the 20's over the weekend, then total warm-up - our 3 inches of snow (Sat-sun) totally melted, and yesterday we got a record high of 64 (second record high this month - got to 69 on the 13th). Today, woke to 29 with 16 degree windchill - winds 25-30mph gusting over 40mph. We're still about 20 inches behind average snowfall, but on track for more than last year's disappointing 57 inches. Pumpkin has a sledding b'day party to attend next weekend, so we're hoping for more snow! Weather's just really volitile this winter... But at least we've gotten enough snow that the kids have been sledding a few times, built several snowmen, etc. Pumpkin's even helping to shovel (Bella says she will, but after about 3-4 shovel-ful's she's done).
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:18 am

OK... Our luck seems to have run out....
It was good while is lasted!!!!

We are forecasted to get 12-18 inches of snow out by me on Eastern Long Island.....
I am at work now and will probably leave early.....
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby DavidS » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:23 am

http://www.weathercity.com/il/tel_aviv/
There but for the love of God...
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:15 pm

We about 20 inches. the next town over to our east got 30.
was up at 5:30 am shoveling . did it in phases... dug out by the afternoon.
snow drifts were 3-4 feet.

I'm ready for summer! :mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:36 pm

We just got back from San Francisco. The weather there was very nice, lows in the upper 40s, highs in the mid to upper 60s, though that could vary from one end of the street to the other.

On Saturday, we bicycled across the Golden Gate Bridge, through Sausalito, to the Old Mill State Park at Mill Valley, and around to Tiburon, where we caught the ferry back to Fisherman's Wharf. It was a good day spent bicycling, and left us rather sore, but all in all a good day. The weather was perfect for that exercise, though we went through several evolutions of jacket on, jacket off, sweater and jacket on, sweater and jacket off, etc.

We helped ring in the Chinese New Year in Chinatown on Sunday, though we arrived too late for much of the celebration.

Sunday had the highs very near 70, and Monday the same. We left early Monday afternoon, and arrived home around midnight, to 37 degree weather under beautiful clear skies.

All in all, a good weekend.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:40 am

we are forecast to get another 2-5 inches tonight through tomorrow morning...
Old Man Winter has opened the door and welcomed himself in this winters season :mrgreen:
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:03 am

Nemo only left us 15 inches of snow. Started out wet and heavy on Friday (15th) - husband and Pumpkin did about 1/2 the driveway - we had over 6 inches at 4pm. It had just started snowing an hour before I left for work, so no problems on the commute in. Got a call at 12:15 that Bella was sick - took me almost an hour to gather my things and get to her - an extra 20 min driving. Snow just hadn't let up and roads were slushy - everyone taking their time. Woke up Sat am to light fluffy snow - total about 15 inches. Neighbor came over with snow blower and got the heavy stuff husband hadn't done the day before - Pumpkin and I were able to get the light stuff. Went to the library at 11am - just wet roads with occasional slush. so we got off easy... Just got another 4-5 inches over this weekend - so I think we're up to about 57 inches on the year - which is about what we got last year. I'm figuring we won't make our average 100, but likely will make it to 75 inches.

Today got up to rain today so Pumpkin's snowman house of horrors will be mostly melted by the afternoon...
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:08 am

got my dates wrong - sentence above should be:
Started out wet and heavy on Friday (8th) -
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:59 pm

82 degrees and rain in Honolulu.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:49 am

26 degrees, wind blowing..... snow/rain in forecast for this coming weekend.....

:mrgreen:
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:29 am

For the third or fourth time this winter - big storm headed to New England, and we're just going to get the edge of it. Rain/snow mix tomorrow - maybe an inch. At this rate, Boston is going to have had more snow on the year than Rochester! crazy!
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:03 pm

Flash flood warnings in Honolulu. 80 degrees.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:07 pm

We enjoyed an ice storm yesterday. I say 'enjoyed' because the ice on the trees is quite beautiful, and there was little damage associated with this storm (in my area, at least).

We shut down the shop and went home early yesterday afternoon, because the driving was becoming treacherous in some places. I had no difficulty going home, as the weather in that direction was lagging behind the rest of the region. It started icing about an hour before nightfall at my house, and continued until about 9 PM.

The weather warmed overnight, such that much of the ice that had been deposited had melted by the time I left for work.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Spring is sprung!

Well, usually. The weather in deecee is weirder than usual. It's been 80 this year, but on Monday it was 33 in my back yard. Probably in the mid 70s today, but a cold front is expected tonight.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:08 am

Not only in deecee:
In London there was talk of a White Passover/Easter; there was a danger of Israel Independence Day (last week) picnics & barbecues being washed/frozen out.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Fri May 31, 2013 12:41 pm

This spring seems to have been more of a rollercoaster of temps than usual. A week ago it barely hit 60 and today we may break the record of 91! I think it should be mid-June before we get above 85 - done that maybe 4 times this month already... Oh well. Likely get the sprinkler out this afternoon. Pumpkin is off with my parents to Gettysburg for a work day tomorrow. They'll be repairing fences and painting gravestones (to preserve) in temps up to 90... Don't know if I should hope they do or don't get a t-storm... We'll be back around 80 Sunday and cooler at the beginning of the week, so I think we'll make it.
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:02 pm

Last year we had the drought. This year, a lingering Winter and lots of flooding. Typical of Missouri weather, which is to say there is nothing typical about Missouri weather.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby DavidS » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:38 pm

Any updates on the Mississippi & Ohio River floods?
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:07 am

The Ohio reportedly isn't as threatening as the Mississippi this year, which is good news for those south of Cairo, Il. Up here in Cape Girardeau, MO and Thebes, IL the Mississippi continues to rise about 2' per day, but that is supposed to taper off quickly, barring any more heavy rains up north. The current crest at Cape Girardeau is expected to be about 45 feet, which is nearly 3 feet below the last flood, and about 13 feet above flood stage. That will not threaten us at our location. Our office floor is about 48 ft, and the 'old shop' (the lowest production facility) is about 46 feet at the floor.

There shouldn't be any levees blown up because of the comparitively low levels on the Ohio River. The Mississippi River below Cairo, IL can handle significantly more water flow than here just above Cairo. When the Ohio is high, it impedes the flow and increases the flooding Above Cairo. This year, even though the Mississippi is seeing roughly the same levels North of us as we had a few years ago, the threat here is significantly reduced.

But, of course, one big storm could change all that..

I see Europe is suffering a lot of flooding this year, as well. We have friends who traveld to Prague, and I see Prague and the Czech Republic seem to be among the hardest hit there. I've no doubt our friends are fine, but I'm afraid they're probably having a soggy trip.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:22 pm

There was weather in Honolulu today. Although tomorrow will be largely indistinguishable from today, it will consume large portions of the local news broadcasts.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections