Veterans Day

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Veterans Day

Postby piqaboo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:53 pm

I dont understand why campuses would ban ROTC.
In theory, their students are in the process of exploring options and are adults making adult choices.
Why remove the option from those to be explored?
No one has to enroll/enlist, anymore than anyone has to take the class "history of handmade lace in the netherlands".
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:16 am

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:02 pm

Happy Veterans' Day to you all!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:07 am

Remember, this is Pearl Harbor Day.

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:32 pm

Out of 17 flags I saw today only 4 of them were at half staff, including my own and anoher flag in front of a neighbor's home. The bank teller looked at me in what can only be described as "ignorance" when I mentioned the date and the fact their flag was all the was up. The only dates she's aware of are the ones where she's off!!
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:00 am

Haggis@wk wrote:Out of 17 flags I saw today only 4 of them were at half staff, including my own and anoher flag in front of a neighbor's home. The bank teller looked at me in what can only be described as "ignorance" when I mentioned the date and the fact their flag was all the was up. The only dates she's aware of are the ones where she's off!!

That is VERY SAD and angers me.

12/7 is the same as 9/11
We were attacked by a foreign enemy on our soil.
I am not saying people should be scholars, BUT how can you NOT KNOW what happened on 12/7 and how it thrust our country into WWII.

We say "Never Forget" for 9/11

The same motto goes for 12/7 as well.

Can we send these people to after school detention where they are forced to learn SOME basics about our OWN Countries history.

end of rant................
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:44 am

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news ... diers?lite

"Standing beside one marker, Stone says its occupant isn't unknown to him. He is "100 percent" sure this is the grave of Earl Leroy Morrison, who was killed on the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor."

This angers me on so many levels that I can't even begin to describe how I feel. I've spent my adult life certain that if I fell in combat that my country would do whatever it could to find me and return me to my family. To now learn that we actually can identify many of our "unknowns" and haven't because of bureaucracy strikes at the base of a fundamental belief I hold.

http://www.stripes.com/news/lawmakers-g ... s-1.233342

I remember GCR and his scouts putting leis on the graves and one line from the NBC report pulls at my heart like no other:

"...it's easy to spot the graves marked "Unknown." They're the ones where no relatives bring flowers"

Every fallen Solider, Sailor, Airman, Marine, Guardsman deserves to be known if for no other reason than for the family to know where he is. I am going to go mutter some obscenities and then call my Congressman who was himself a POW dduring Vietnam. Our Fallen deserves better.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:59 pm

I remember GCR and his scouts putting leis on the graves and one line from the NBC report pulls at my heart like no other:

"...it's easy to spot the graves marked "Unknown." They're the ones where no relatives bring flowers"

Well, the scouts put an American flag and at least one lei on every grave. If the weather has been good there will be more flowers available for additional leis. Most of the leis are made by high school students a day or two before. It's quite a sight to see: more than 50,000 flags and leis blanketing the grounds.

I've seen some of the unknown graves. It's quite disturbing. There is one for the USS Oklahoma with the remains of seven individuals. It's incomprehensible that they don't know who is missing, and after all these years still can't match them up. To be fair, it's a small lab doing the ID work. They also have unknowns from WW2 , Korea, and Viet Nam to deal with. Its a lot of deaths.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:41 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote: Its a lot of deaths.

But they apparently have everything inplace to do those identifications, at least on the WWII internees. That someone won't pull the trigger and just get it done is terrible. They have the tools, the ability and even the money and yet.....
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:01 pm

I'm a bit surprised that there are any unknowns from Viet Nam. At one time there was a 'Nam fallen at the tombs of the unknowns at Arlington cemetery, but they figured out who he was and returned him to his family. Older bodies may have more issues with DNA testing, since their relatives' DNA is getting more and more diluted as the generations pass.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Previous

Return to The Debate Team