Interesting musical passages

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Interesting musical passages

Postby treebeau » Thu Nov 16, 2000 10:43 am

Greetings,<P>I'd like to read some of your examples of interesting passages of music. Let me start the ball rolling by describing one that I enjoy.<P>I have listened to the Piano Concerto No. 1 by Tchaikovsky since I was very young. The beginning of the piece is unmistakable. The orchestra introduces the theme while the pianist plays these huge chords in sets of three. A pianist friend of mine recently opened my eyes to something that I had not realized before. After that theme is complete the roles reverse. The pianist plays the theme and the orchestra plays the sets of chords. I have this music committed to memory after many, many years, and never recognized this role reversal, which I now find very interesting.<P>So, how 'bout it? Please contribute what you find interesting.<P>Anyone ?<BR><p>[This message has been edited by treebeau (edited 11-27-2000).]
treebeau
2nd Chair

Re: Interesting musical passages

Postby shostakovich » Tue Nov 28, 2000 2:19 am

It seems that's the kind of thing that a listener needs a performer to point out. I had a similar revelation in the last(?) variation in Saint-Saens's Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso.
shostakovich
1st Chair

Return to Musical Notes