Live Music

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Live Music

Postby priya978 » Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:29 pm

I went to a chamber music concert a few days ago.
Program

Brahms
Quintet in G major (if my memory serves me)
1st Movement- Allegro con brio

Bach
Brandenburg Concerto No. 6

Holst
St. Paul's Suite

Brahms wasn't great. The first violin was WAY too skinny, and banal. She sounded EXTREMELY like she was trying to learn to piece still. And since the first violin sounded like that nobody was together.

The Bach was just Bach.

The Holst was great! A "toe-tapper." It really came alive.

I went because my ex-band teacher was playing (viola) and her daughter (2nd violin.)
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:32 am

This Saturday at St. Gregory the Great Catholic church, Poway, Ca, I'm singing with the San Diego Choral Arts Ensemble. This is part of the whole group that's touring Europe this summer, and we'll be performing most of the works we're taking over there. $10 donation and it starts at 7pm, and will run about two hours. It should be good!
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:57 pm

Is that the church on Twin Peaks, next to the school district offices?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:00 pm

It's at 11451 Blue Cypress, west of Pomerado and south of Scripps Poway Pkwy. Wanna go? I know someone who could comp you a couple of tickets.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:12 pm

In Scripps ranch somewhere? Sure, sounds like fun.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:53 pm

Will it be you & Gil?
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:47 pm

gotta ask him - he often begs off vocal stuff.

However, perhaps I can scrounge up a daughter.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:07 pm

Just let me know how many.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:05 pm

OT - Gil said he'd go - haven't caught Melissa yet. Probably just me and Gil
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Thalberg » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:56 pm

Two weeks ago, New York City, Carnegie Hall. Steinway's 150th Anniversary celebration concert. Gary Graffman opened with Scriabin's 'Prelude and Nocturne for the Left Hand Alone.' Yundi Li up next with Chopin's second Scherzo and Liszt's 'Rigoletto Paraphrase.' 11-year-old Kit Armstrong played Mozart's sonata K. 333, and a Debussy prelude. (Incidentally, he performed more musically than several of the adults that night). Then, my favorites, the Eroica Trio played Brahms' trio in B major. There were some others, but I can't remember. It was a phenomenal concert! I'm still stunned by the Brahms.
"Opera is where a guy gets stabbed in the back, and instead of dying, he sings."
( Robert Benchley )
Thalberg
4th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:11 pm

Hi Selma, there'll be tickets marked "Selma & Gil" at the table where the tickets are taken for you. See you there!
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:57 am

I got a last-minute invitation to attend a Russian concert my voice teacher was performing in. A friend and I were the only people in attendance to whom English was not a second language It was emcee'd in Russian, and the program was printed in Cyrillic (sp). It was anything from poetry set to music, folk, pop, to classical. I found the Russian pop music to be lounge lizard-quality horrible, but the rest was at least interesting, with a couple of astounding virtuoso performances of Chopin pieces, and one of Mozart and Rachmaninov (Moz and Rach are guesses based on style). I'm going to try to get a copy of the program and post it, if anyone can translate.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:42 am

Went to OT's concert on Saturday, enjoyed it immensely. The music was lovely, the group has a really nice balance. The basses and altos are solid, the tenors extremely nice, the sopranos need a little more work. There were two soloists; one good baritone, and the director himself did "Amazing Grace". He has a marvelous rich tenor and did an impressive job. I've always loved that hymn, and I was just blown away.

There was one persistant problem with the sopranos. They weren't cleanly on pitch, but there was no one flat voice. This cleared itself up on the last two songs, which were sung without sheet music, and the improvement was really noticeable. It's that fine difference between "almost right" and "right". Somebody(ies) can't hear the rest of the ensemble when her voice is reflecting from her sheet music.

The happiest face was on one of the sopranos. A blond lady with glasses, rather tall, toward the back of the section. She was clearly enjoying every minute of the music and it was a joy to watch her. :)

I enjoyed the second set of selections most, as they were all familiar. Except for the words in "Redet mit einander", which I learned as "Speak with One Another"; however, as the director explained, they're planning to do the Salzburg festival, something should be in German.

St Gregory is an amazing space. The pews are wood, the floor is stone, the walls are glass, concrete, and stone. Not a soft surface anywhere and the resulting resonance is marvelous. There was no echo that I could hear, even when they were warming up without an audience in place. Just fantastic.

It was a good concert, and we left smiling.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:23 am

Hi Selma, my director and I thank you for the review. The sopranos, however, didn't take it too graciously (after all, what do you expect from a bunch of divas ;)

<small>[ 07-02-2003, 05:24 AM: Message edited by: operatenor ]</small>
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:29 am

A little update for the upcoming San Diego Opera season: I just found out we'll be performing the same production of Turandot as we did in the 1996/7 season. The sets and costumes were designed by artist David Hockney, who is known for his use of vivid colors, and this production is no exception. Under the lights, it is transformed into a world of the most vivid blue and red I have ever seen. It is absolutely spell-binding!

:cool:
  :cool: :cool:
    :cool:

Check out the 2003/4 season here.

<small>[ 07-02-2003, 05:33 AM: Message edited by: operatenor ]</small>
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:46 am

The sopranos have my sympathy, OT. They are the most exposed part, and always get criticized most. Who understands the physics of the thing? I only know that a smaller frequency error in the soprano range is perceptible; to sound as good as the rest of a mixed group, the sopranos must be more accurate than the altos, much more accurate than the tenors, and hugely more accurate than the basses.

There is also the factor that I'm a soprano myself and know the part for the second set of the music. The inside of my head wanted a particular note from the sopranos, and a general sound mix from the rest of the choir.

I still think the problem is somebody(ies) response to her own voice reflected from the music. I've known this to happen lots of times; the ensemble cleans up immensely when you go to watching the director and don't have music in front of you.

The band uses an electronic tuner so the kids can tune their instruments before performances. Is such a device usable for ear training for singers? Would it work? That's a random question that just fell into my head, right now while I was typing.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:46 pm

I don't believe a strobe or electronic tuner would work with the voice. There are too many variances from person to person for the tuner to monitor accurately. Jennifer would probably be better qualified to give an intelligent answer, though.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby priya978 » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:50 pm

Since you mentioned it OT, i was wondering when I could get (at least) two tickets for the production?

How much would the concert at the Trinity Church cost? I would like to go but transportation might be a problem since such sort notice. (I have to be book a year in advanced. :D ;) )

<small>[ 07-02-2003, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: eugene a. ]</small>
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:48 am

Hi E,

I assume you're talking about the big T in the first paragraph? Decent seats will be in the $100.00 range, and I believe you can get them through the SDO website.

As for the concert at Trinity, it's a free will donation, so it's a cheap concert. If it works out you can go, let me know.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby priya978 » Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:55 am

Hey OT!
I think I'm going get the 95$ ones. Side Dress Circle DC-3, or at least I'm hoping. (My mom's a little stingy when it comes to her money. :)
priya978
3rd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes