Wagner Again

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Wagner Again

Postby BenODen » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:28 pm

Ya know Serenity, you may have hit on something. I think part of the problem is that I try to communicate my thought patterns as opposed to making a finite point... Hmm, that will take some thought... I certainly do plenty of editing to even the confusing ones... Just not be the right edits, maybe!

Oh, I just realized I left off a couple composers off my composer list! Vivaldi and Tchaikovsky. I mean really, forgetting about those!? Four Seasons and the Nutcracker are certainly favorites of mine, but I don't know enough other Vivaldi and Tchaikovsky off the top of my head to know if I really should have put them up on par with Beethoven... I guess for favorite I look for uniformity; or rather a variety of things that I really like by a composer. Uniformity of variety, oi vey. Oxymoron alert!

This Hijacking was brought to you by the letter V and the letter T.

-Benito

<small>[ 06-02-2003, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Benito Of Denver ]</small>
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:09 am

OT, such fruitism will get you put on notice with the board's monitors! Besides, a buckeye is much more than a nut - it's a tree, and even a whole forest!
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Bones » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:50 am

Is Ohio still around?
"I try to think, but nothing happens!" - Curly Howard
Bones
3rd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:47 am

Hi Barfle, nevertheless, it all starts wid' nuttin' but a nut! :p
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby lliam » Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:58 pm

Originally posted by barfle:
OT, such fruitism will get you put on notice with the board's monitors! Besides, a buckeye is much more than a nut - it's a tree, and even a whole forest!
-----------------------------

Which was it at the Gater Bowl in 1978 when Clemson middle guard Charlie Bauman snagged an OSU pass which ruined the Buckeye's last minute frantic bid for victory? In case you have forgotten, Woody bopped Charlie in the choppers right there in front of the entire bowl crowd - not to speak of millions of other people who were watching television!
====================
;) ;) ;)
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:08 am

bones, Ohio is round on both ends! Not to mention hi in the middle.

OT, which came first, the nut or the tree?

And lliam, that stunt cost Mr. Hayes his job.

HO'HO'HO!HO'HO'HO!HO'HO'HO! upside down is OH, OH, OHiO (H)
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby lliam » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:41 am

Originally posted by barfle:

lliam, that stunt cost Mr. Hayes his job.

HO'HO'HO!HO'HO'HO!HO'HO'HO! upside down is OH, OH, OHiO (H)
==================================
Just whistle while you work
And cheerfully together we can tidy up the place.
So hum a merry tune, it won't take long,
When there's a song, to help you set the pace.

Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho, It's home from work we go.
Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho,
It's home from work we go.
:)
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:11 pm

The nut, of course! (have to support my own logic, you know). :p
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:16 pm

Selma:

RE:<<Yeah. We have lots of folks FROM Ohio, Indiana, Texas, Misery.>>

I've got another truckload picked out to send over to you, so make some room!

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:01 pm

What's a buckeye? Is it like a bucktooth?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:17 pm

Serenity, LMREO!!!

Better watch out for Barfle... :eek:
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby barfle » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:13 am

And here he comes!!!

Serenity, a buckeye is the slang term for a horse chestnut, which is mainly a tree, but also bears a nut that runs around one to two inches in diameter, is generally dark brown but has a light tan spot on it, somewhat resembling the eyeball of a deer. OK, so it takes some imagination. So does Richard Strauss. I have no idea if anybody ever eats them, since I moved from Ohio before my earliest memories.

A kind of interesting aside - My wife and I were strolling around a park in Florence, Italy while we were on vacation several years ago, and I noticed several buckeyes on the pathway. I'm not knowledgeable enough to say if they were of the same species, but they sure looked the same. If so, I also don't know if they were native to Europe or North America, either.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:40 pm

A hoarse chestnut? Did the wittle nut yell too much?
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby dkm32 » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:47 pm

Jim-m-m-m-m-m!!!!!!

Well, you'll get what you deserve... ;) ;) ;)

Hee-hee-hee!!!

<small>[ 06-05-2003, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: dkm32 ]</small>
Donna
aka: Josef Strauss Nut
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:39 am

OT, it just got what it deserved for trying to sing too freakin' loud!
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby lliam » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:11 pm

When we were kids, We called em Conkers in the UK.

What is/are Conkers?
=======================

Conkers, the small brown objects, are the seeds of the horse chestnut. Conkers, the pastime, is a game of skill and sublimated violence for two players. Each player is equipped with a conker, through which a hole has been drilled to allow a piece of string to be threaded. The string is knotted to prevent the conker coming off, and the game may commence.

Whoever goes first may be decided by coin toss or priority. For example, the owner of a 'sixer' (ie, the victor in six previous games) will have priority over the owner of a mere 'two-er'.

The receiver holds up the hand, dangling the conker on the end of its string. The other player then attempts to hit the dangling conker as hard as he can with his own conker by swinging it overarm. If he hits, he gets another go. If he misses, play switches and the receiver gets a crack at his opponent. This continues until one or other of the conkers is so damaged that it falls off the string. The winner can then add the loser's conker value to the victory count of their conker, turning the above mentioned sixer into an eighter.

There are many arcane rules of conkers to do with glancing blows, hits on the string, specific techniques and so on, but they are very variable, and so are beyond the scope of this entry.

Going Conkering
==================

Conkers are typically harvested in early autumn. The usual method is to find a good conker tree in a park or by a road and then stand under it throwing sticks up into the branches hoping this will dislodge the ripe fruit. Since the fruit is contained within green pods covered in sharp spines, there is a frisson of danger to this activity which most likely explains some of its appeal. It's often better to find conkers on the ground, as the ones on the tree probably won't be ready. It is worth noting that early in the autumn of 2001, Norwich City Council decided that this activity was too dangerous, and took steps to prevent children collecting conkers from several trees in the city by cutting them all down - this actually made the BBC Radio 4 main morning news show Today.

How to Win...

There are those who mutter darkly about methods of treatment for conkers which are guaranteed to turn even the weediest, most brittle loser into an all-challengers champion twelver. Such methods usually involve things as a week soaking in vinegar, several hours of slow steady baking in a low oven, leaving them in the drying cupboard for a year or two in a cloth bag, or other more obscure chemical treatments such as the application of nail varnish.

:cool:
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby BenODen » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:18 pm

Hey! Wow! That's what Ford and Zaphod were talking about in Hitch Hikers Guide! (Oh, hey, wait! Why did Zaphod know Ford as Ford if that was his assumed earth name!? Ohno! A glitch!)

Sounds like a hard game because you may do as much damage to your own conker by strking. Also sounds difficult! Do tell, what of your childhood days of Conkering, lliam!?

-Benito
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:20 pm

Suggestion for a reinforced conker: Try one of those vacuum marinating jars and surfboard epoxy. It's really strong stuff and the vacuum jar ought to get it into the structure of the nutshell.

As an additional note, are they called "Conkers" because they go "Konk" when they fall off the string? Or is there an actual reason?

I'm pretty sure Monty Python grew up playing this game.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:15 pm

Thanks Barfle. I should have looked in the dictionary earlier:
[buck(male deer), and eye(from the appearance of the seed]...1) any one of the several species of American trees and shrubs of the genus Aesculus, including the horse chestnut; as, the Ohio or fetid buckey, Aesculus glabra; 2)a native or inhabitant of Ohio [Colloq].

I thought it was a "localism", kind of like an Indiana Hoosier (Hoosier Daddy?).

I think the trees you saw in Italy may have been imported (maybe by retired Ohioans(?)). Maybe they play 'conkers' there too?

Thanks Iliam, I'll try playing the game tonight with my party buddies...Oh wait...what does an Aesculus look like? Is there any other substitute for a "deer eye"?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:51 pm

Perhaps you could get barfle to send you some buckeyes. They are basically worthless nuts and are not the local currency of Ohioans because they grow on trees.

Barfle, could you send me a couple? I lived in Ohio for a year in 1970 and remember the buckeye, but never had any for souvenirs.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes