Handel.

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Handel.

Postby lliam » Sat Nov 18, 2000 6:48 am

Though German by birth, composer George Fredrich Handel later naturalized British. He was almost an exact contemporary of J.S.Bach. While both composers wrote many choral works, Handel wrote for the theatre as well as the church. His compositions also admit a greater range of influence.
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Re: Handel.

Postby Musicag » Sat Nov 18, 2000 8:15 am

Yes. The two are contemporary composers. They were born in the same year, 1685. When I think of Handel, the expression "grandioso" pops up.
Musicag
5th Chair

Postby jrs » Sat Nov 18, 2000 10:37 am

Finally someone brought Handel up! I love his style of baroque. It sounds fiery to me, flammable with spontaneity. His deft use of polyphony piques me with an enjoyable sense of subtle madness that frees me briefly from the predictable and mundane constraints of everyday logical thinking. Consequently, I find myself exercising strange and uncanny cerebral muscles that otherwise would have lain asleep deep within me. Can you recommend some secular works of his I might enjoy? I already have concerti grossi op #6.
jrs
5th Chair

Postby serge urtizberea » Sun Nov 19, 2000 5:57 am

Handel was Beethoven's favorite composer, the one he looked up most to. I seem to recall reading that B. had an autographed or nicely-mounted score of Handel's (not sure which score) that he treasured his whole life.<P>p.s. how exactly do you pronounce Handel? Is it "handle" or "hendle"? I've been told it's the latter.
serge urtizberea
4th Chair

Postby lliam » Sun Nov 19, 2000 10:28 am

I never tire of playing Handel's Messiah I have had that particular collection some years ago.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jrs:<BR><B>Finally someone brought Handel up! I love his style of baroque. It sounds fiery to me, flammable with spontaneity. His deft use of polyphony piques me with an enjoyable sense of subtle madness that frees me briefly from the predictable and mundane constraints of everyday logical thinking. Consequently, I find myself exercising strange and uncanny cerebral muscles that otherwise would have lain asleep deep within me. Can you recommend some secular works of his I might enjoy? I already have concerti grossi op #6.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Sun Nov 19, 2000 10:30 am

Handel.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by serge urtizberea:<BR><B>Handel was Beethoven's favorite composer, the one he looked up most to. I seem to recall reading that B. had an autographed or nicely-mounted score of Handel's (not sure which score) that he treasured his whole life.<P>p.s. how exactly do you pronounce Handel? Is it "handle" or "hendle"? I've been told it's the latter.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Return to Musical Notes