Virtual Biergarten

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Virtual Biergarten

Postby Shapley » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:47 pm

Vilkommen!

I decided it's time to sit back and quaff a few cool ones Well, Okay, warm ones, since it's German beer. The weekend is coming, Christmas is on the way, and there's not going to be a lot of rest for the next three weeks, so now's the time. Does anyone have any thoughts on those American-German beers that are out there? You know the ones. They have German-sounding names and German-looking labels, but they're brewed in New Jersey or somewhere. I've been tempted to try them, but haven't done so yet.

Do they measure up?

V/R
Shapley or, Shapely, as I seem doomed to be branded here on the BBB!

Now where did I put that darned accordian????

<small>[ 12-03-2004, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Shapley ]</small>
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Re: Virtual Biergarten

Postby mmichaelson » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:58 pm

lol. I have never found the match of the beer brewed privately in Munich. <sigh> I LOVED the Hoffbrau House's beer. Is there a similar-tasting beer that can be found here in the states?

Like Shap. . .I'm curious. . .but have never actually sampled here. . .
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:33 pm

Originally posted by Shapley:
Vilkommen!

I decided it's time to sit back and quaff a few cool ones Well, Okay, warm ones, since it's German beer.
Not in the part of Germany where I was stationed! They understood the value of a cold brewski in the Eifel Mountains (far west, up close to Belgium). Now the English, that's another kettle of... well, tepid beer.

Now about those American brews with Germanic names, I would place Budweiser only marginally above... well, not very much.

If I'm drinking a beer with a German name, I'll pick Bitburger every time. Of course, I was stationed fairly close to Bitburg, so it was readily available at the time I was acquiring a taste for the suds. It's not all that hard to find in the US - I've seen it in supermarkets in California, and there's a big wine and beer warehouse store that carries it in Virginia.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:38 pm

I like ale, IPA (India Pale Ale... not IsoPropyl Alcohol), lagers and the bocks ocassionally. Never had an authentic German beer; I like the Octoberfestbiers here but how close do they come to the ones in Germany?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:41 pm

Beer - So much more than just a breakfast drink.

24 hours in a day. 24 beers in a case ... coincidence?

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her. What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? - W.C. Fields

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

And God said: Let there be vodka! And He saw that it was good. Then God said: Let there be light! And then He said: Whoa - too much light.

As a rule, I don't drink -- as a habit, I do!

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

Beer - The reason I wake up every afternoon.

Beer contains Vitamin Pee.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Beer: Now THERE'S a temporary solution.

Don't drink and drive. You might hit a bump and spill your beer.

Dough, the stuff, that buys my beer, Ray, the guy that tends the bar, Me, the guy, who drinks my beer, Far, the distance to the bar, So, I think I'll have a beer, La, Laa lAA lAh LaH LAA LAAAH! Tea, no thanks I want a beer, which brings us back to Dough Dough Dough!

Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime.

I don't drink anymore. Of course, I don't drink any less, either.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra

I have a drink to celebrate the little things. Like Tuesdays - we only have one of those a week!

I killed a six-pack just to watch it die.

I swear to drunk I'm not God!

I'd rather have a beer than win father of the year - Homer Simpson

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy. -Tom Waits

If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye

If you ever reach total enlightenment while you're drinking a beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose. - Jack Handy

I'm not an alcoholic I'm a drunk cause i dont go to meetings...

Love makes the world go 'round? So what? Beer makes it go 'round twice as fast.

Many people die of thirst - but the Irish are born with one.

Once during prohibition, I was forced to live on nothing but food and water. - W.C. Fields

One more and I'll be under the host - Dorothy Parker

Remember I before E, except in Budweiser.

Scotch - Because one doesn't solve the world's problems over white wine.

Scotch. Even the Irish will drink it...

Some people have six pack abdomens. I have a keg.

The best days to drink beer are days that end in the letter, "Y".

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind. - Humphrey Bogart

There are 5 signs that you are drunk. The first one is loss of memory, but I can't remember the rest.

There are only two times when I drink beer, when I'm alone and when I'm with someone else.

There's too much blood in my alcohol system

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated but not be able to say it.

To some it's half empty, To some it's half full. To me it's time for a beer run!

To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support Group

What's on the mind when sober, is on the tongue when not. - Josh Seidel

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. - Henny Youngman

Whiskey was invented so the Irish wouldn't rule the world.

Why is American beer served cold? So you can tell it from urine. - David Moulton

Without question the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but a wheel does not go as well with pizza. - Dave Barry

Work is the curse of the drinking classes. - Oscar Wilde

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. - Frank Zappa

You know you are getting old, when happy hour is a nap.

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on. - Dean Martin

How do I go through a six-pack? drink two, spill two, give two away.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:45 pm

Barfle,

Not having been to Germany, I'll have to take your word for it. I had German beer when I was in Africa, and it was served warm. Come to think of it, everything I drank in Africa was served warm. Even ice water was served warm.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:07 pm

Most countries server beer warm. I think it's better that way. When I lived in Ireland, there was nothing like a warm Guinness! (Go to the Guinness factory if you are ever there... one hell of a ride!)

I'm also a big fan of Sagres from Portugal. (Watch out for the Sagres it's 5.4% alcohol. Most American beers are much lower then that.) Super Bock is great too. It's a bit lighter then the Sagres.

But all time fav's have to be a good Heinie and Rolling Rock.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:26 pm

Beer. Eck. Never cared for it. Suitable only for boiling shrimp in.

Gimme a cup of strong tea, suitably cream-and-sugared with Baileys? Yum. Besides, it's cold in here.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:33 pm

Bock is lighter than Sagres? Wow, I gotta try that one! Is it heavier than a Double Bock? You should play Carl Orff Tavern songs with all this talk of beer....

Nice post Shapley!

P.S. Nicole, you need a mini Nativity Scene within Cam-View.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:39 pm

Can you sip "beverages" on Friday afternoon or evening if you are on the air? Hosts would look so much more "laid back, warm and homey" with a brewski or mixed drink discretely displayed on the StudioCam. Whaddya think? Suggestion box on the Helping Hand thread?

;)
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby RC » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:52 pm

STELLAAAA!!! STELLA!
Stella artois...give it a shot, it's my current favorite.

AND, an advantage to belgian beer - you don't feel quite so inclined to don lederhausen (sp?).

I've also tried white beer from Belgium which is different - not sure I liked it though.
A man is the sum of his actions, of what he has done, of what he can do, Nothing else.
Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi
RC
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:14 pm

Serenity,

RE:Can you sip "beverages" on Friday afternoon or evening if you are on the air? Hosts would look so much more "laid back, warm and homey" with a brewski or mixed drink discretely displayed on the StudioCam. Whaddya think? Suggestion box on the Helping Hand thread?

Great idea. Hawaiian Shirt Friday, Blue Hawaiian with the little paper umbrella margarita's are acceptable substitutes, dark shades. Beethoven.com does Casual Friday! :cool:

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:15 pm

We haven't heard from Haggis, yet.

Haggis? Haggis? Get off the floor and say something, Mon!

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby RC » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:19 pm

He started right off with Stolly's and we haven't seen him since. (bump, trip). OH! Hey Haggis!
A man is the sum of his actions, of what he has done, of what he can do, Nothing else.
Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi
RC
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:41 pm

I'd love to have a beer on Friday afternoons on air. But I think the FCC would have something to say about that. FCC fines and beer don't go to well together.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:46 pm

Everything goes better with beer!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:55 pm

Yeah that's what I think too but for some reason the FCC says it's a no, no. What do they know!? (They seem to have proven "not much" so far this year.)

I'm out of here in 7min! Then yes, I'm going to have a real beer with the husband. I'll have one for all of you! No drinking and driving (Or typing for that matter. You can get into trouble. Ask Haggis!) Be good ya'll and have a great weekend.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:58 pm

Have a great weekend Nicole!
Maybe you can have a "commercial" soda on display but "laced".

<small>[ 12-03-2004, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Serenity ]</small>
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:24 pm

The FCC has rules about radio show hosts drinking while on the air?? OOOOOOOh thats wayyyyy out there!

Dos Equis Amber. Amber something or another from new orleans. Tecate is ok too.
Had some good beer in teh Czech Republic, liked it better than most of the German beers I had, dont remember what a single one of them was called tho....

hic !
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:24 am

Two men were adrift in a lifeboat following a dramatic escape from a burning freight vessel. While rummaging through the boat's provisions, one of the men stumbled across an old lamp. Secretly hoping that a Genie would appear, he rubbed the lamp vigorously. To the amazement of the castaways, one did come forth. This particular Genie, however, stated that she could only deliver one wish, not the standard three.
Without giving much thought to the matter the man blurted out, "Make the entire ocean into beer!"

Immediately the Genie clapped her hands with a deafening crash, and the entire sea turned into the finest brew ever sampled by mortals. Simultaneously, the Genie vanished to her freedom.

Only the gentle lapping of beer on the hull broke the stillness as the two men considered their circumstances. The other man looked disgustedly at the one whose wish had been granted. After a long, tension-filled moment, he spoke: "Nice going! Now we're going to have to pee in the boat."
Serenity
1st Chair

Next

Return to Musical Notes