Holiday Music

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Holiday Music

Postby ReedMan » Wed Nov 29, 2000 3:21 pm

Any recommendations on what CD's to play during the holiday season ?
ReedMan
4th Chair

Re: Holiday Music

Postby Nicole Marie » Wed Nov 29, 2000 3:38 pm

If you like Choral selections try "On Christmas Night" on the BMG label #75605 570562. The CD is performed by the Choir of Trinity College, Cambridge, I enjoy it very much.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Re: Holiday Music

Postby shostakovich » Thu Nov 30, 2000 5:39 pm

If you are looking for classical Christmasy music, other than Messiah, here are a few suggestions: Corelli's Christmas Concerto, Menotti's Amahl and the Night Visitors, Vaughan Williams's Hodie Cantata, Barber's Dies Natale. Some of them might be hard to find. There's also a name to check out: John Rutter. I think he's still active. I have no information on him, but what little I've heard is impressive ------ particularly for a guy who's still alive. Happy listening, and Merry Christmas.
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:40 pm

Okay, time to revive this topic.

I'm fed up with the Jazzy Christmas music, Celebrities butchering the classics, and I've had all I can stands, and I can't stands no more of the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas music.

Can anyone recommend some good, classical Christmas CD's for the holiday season? I've looked up the one Nicole Recommended in 2000, and I'll consider it. Any others?

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:29 pm

:headphones: Here are a few of my favorite Christmas CD's:

Phillips 416 287-2 John Williams & BP. "We wish you a Merry Christmas"
Telarc CD80446 Dream Season, The Christmas Harp
RCA 6429-2RG Robert Shaw Chorale & Orchestra "A Festival of Carols"
Windham Hill 01934 11178-2 Celtic Christmas

There is something here for everyone :santa: :headphones:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:52 am

I have a pretty darn good record of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir doing mainly popular songs, but I gotta tell you, their version of The First Noel will raise the hair on the back of your neck.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby audiogirl » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:40 am

I picked up a bargain bin CD a gazillion years ago called "Carols for Christmas." It's so old that I have since lost the CD case. Some men's chorus performs Bruckner's Ave Maria, and it is hair-raising. It also features a HUGE pipe-organ accompanied version of A Mighty Fortress. Other chill-inspiring performances were a capella versions of In the Bleak Midwinter and Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming. Definitely worth the 4-5 bucks.
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby trombonepirate » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:13 pm

Great idea for a post as I've already had my fill of what plays on the airwaves. My favorites are brass quintets (gee I wonder why). The Canadian Brass have a couple of good albums as do the Dallas Brass. I also really like the Boston Pops/Fielder albums. In terms of singing a friend of mine got an album from an ex-boyfriend that's pretty good but I can't remember exactly the title. It's published by Tantara Records and I think it's a men's choir singing.
Froeliche Weinachten
TBP
"Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them."
--Richard Strauss
trombonepirate
4th Chair

Return to Musical Notes