Your collection

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Your collection

Postby hornplayer » Sun Jul 22, 2001 12:25 am

Well, since weve determined how we all organize our CDs, how many do all of you have? My collection is 99% classical, and of classical music I am up to just over 100 CDs, although Ill admit that many of those came in packs of 10. Id also like to take this moment to say that I bought the first release (1963) of Beethovens Symphonies by the Berlin Philharmonic and Herbert von Karajan, and its swell!<P>Also, visit my website, its not done yet but go there anyway. <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/gundam/sirthomasmore2/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.angelfire.com/gundam/sirthomasmore2/</A><p>[This message has been edited by hornplayer (edited 07-23-2001).]
Elitism and Supply-Side Economics
hornplayer
4th Chair

Re: Your collection

Postby serge urtizberea » Sun Jul 22, 2001 1:00 pm

My collection numbers around 70 cds, although I have listened to (and owned) much more than that over the years. Among them, one is that debut cd by Bond, another is the Canadian cast recording of Phantom, another is the second Adam Sandler comedy cd (won a '96 Grammy, it did), and I have both of Britney's albums, so they really don't qualify as part of my classical collection. Mind you, I used to own a number of cheaper classical recordings and "best of" albums a few years back. Those I have sold or gotten rid of. I've become far more fickle about what I want to add to the collection.
serge urtizberea
4th Chair

Postby Luis » Sun Jul 22, 2001 2:34 pm

I own about 200 CDs, which I think is pretty much considering that there isn't too much time since I started listening CM and that the prices here are much higher than in the US or Europe. 1/4 are from Beethoven but my 2 favorite CDs are definitely Mahler's 2nd by Bernstein (DG) and Mahler's 8th by Abbado (DG). <P>So, Ben G and Flowerboy, if you liked M2 you'll love M8. This is Mahler's summit of his symphonic ideal and it was also his own favorite symphony. He once said something like <I> compared to this one my other works are no more than 'preludes'. </I>And also <I> Imagine that the Universe bursts into song. We hear no longer human voices, but those of planets and suns which revolve. </I><BR>In my opinion, it also contains the sweetest moments of all Mahler's symphonies and the 2 most overwhelming finales you will ever hear!!<P>Abbado's is far from being the undisputed 'best' M8 though I love the way it is sung and the sound detail of all the orchestra except from the organ.<P>Other good recordings (though I've only heard the first one) are: <BR><A HREF="http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=816130976/pagename=/RP/CDN/CLASS/muzealbum.html/itemid=1345951" TARGET=_blank> Chailly/Concertgebouw, Decca </A> (Listen all the Windows Media Samples and buy it NOW!!!)<BR>Davis/Bayerischen RSO, RCA<BR>Ozawa/Boston SO, Philips<BR>Bertini/Kohlner RSO, EMI<P>Sorry, I know I went a bit off topic, but I can't help my Mahlerist militance!!<p>[This message has been edited by Luis (edited 07-22-2001).]
Luis
4th Chair

Postby Necromantic Fantasy » Sun Jul 22, 2001 3:21 pm

I own all of Beethoven's music and to be perfectly honest, this is all of the classical music I'll ever really need.<BR>Suffice to say, that I do own many other composer's works, but this serves chiefly to function as an appetizer for working up my appetite to listen to Beethoven even more.<BR>The formal simplicity of Mozart makes me crave Beethoven all the more and so on...<P>Of course, I do like to hear what's being done trying to build on Beethoven's sound. (i.e. Sergei Prokofiev, Mendellsohn, and others)And I try to look for something that I feel that the Grand Master Beethoven would have been or would be proud of.<P>------------------<BR>"Life is just a Candle; and a Dream, must give it Flame."
"Life is just a Candle; and a Dream, must give it Flame."
Necromantic Fantasy
Section Player

Postby Necromantic Fantasy » Sun Jul 22, 2001 3:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hornplayer:<BR><B>Id also like to take this moment to say that I bought the first release (1963) of Beethovens Symphonies by the Berlin Philharmonic and Herbert von Karajan, and its swell!<BR></B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I totally agree!!! Especially with regards to the 1st and the 9th.<BR>I'm currently tyring to get the 1970's Beethoven/Karajan Symphonies Series.<BR><P>------------------<BR>"Life is just a Candle; and a Dream, must give it Flame."
"Life is just a Candle; and a Dream, must give it Flame."
Necromantic Fantasy
Section Player

Postby Musicag » Mon Jul 23, 2001 12:11 pm

I have about 1400 CDs, 99.9% classical.<P>My cherished box set is the complete 200-CD Great Pianists of 20th Century which I paid for $2.11/CD shipping included.
Musicag
5th Chair

Postby serge urtizberea » Mon Jul 23, 2001 1:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Musicag:<BR><B>I have about 1400 CDs, 99.9% classical.<P>My cherished box set is the complete 200-CD Great Pianists of 20th Century which I paid for $2.11/CD shipping included. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Where did you get such a great deal on that GP collection?! Here, each disc is $33 plus tax! If I could get the whole thing for $420, I'd definitely go for it. It's a fantastic deal.
serge urtizberea
4th Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Jul 23, 2001 8:32 pm

I haven't counted up my CDs yet, but I'd guess it's in the vicinity of 150. I just got done cataloging my 45s into a database and it ended up being about 225. I have a few classical 45s. One is an absolutely adorable set of Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite.

And then there's the LPs. I'm running around 1500. About half are pop, maybe a third classical (does Tomita count as classical?) and the rest a mixture of old radio shows, comedy, and Christmas.

My wife says the corner of the house where my den is located is beginning to sink into the ground because there's so much stuff in there. I will only admit to needing more storage space!

:roll:
Last edited by barfle on Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Musicag » Tue Jul 24, 2001 6:30 am

serge,<P>Before Christmas 2000 I was alerted to this set at this super bargain price at online site Berkshire. I jumped on it right away. This particular sale lasted about one week before all sets were grabbed. Slightly later I noticed two other online site had even better sales on this same set. You guessed it. These're gone quickly also. I do 90% of my CD shopping online now because I can get the best deal. For the GPTTC set I did not pay tax because of that. Berkshire is one of the sites that carry many obscure labels that's where my interest is.<P>Regards,<BR>Musicag
Musicag
5th Chair

Postby Bob the Composer » Tue Jul 24, 2001 8:10 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hornplayer:<BR><B>Well, since weve determined how we all organize our CDs, how many do all of you have? My collection is 99% classical, and of classical music I am up to just over 100 CDs, although Ill admit that many of those came in packs of 10. Id also like to take this moment to say that I bought the first release (1963) of Beethovens Symphonies by the Berlin Philharmonic and Herbert von Karajan, and its swell!<P>Also, visit my website, its not done yet but go there anyway. <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/gundam/sirthomasmore2/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.angelfire.com/gundam/sirthomasmore2/</A><P>[This message has been edited by hornplayer (edited 07-23-2001).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I have 169+ CDs, and my dad has over 300 more.<P>Bob<P>------------------<BR><BR>I am not a number, I am a free man!
Thus saith the frog-man: "reteP reteP"
Bob the Composer
4th Chair

Postby BenG » Wed Jul 25, 2001 4:23 pm

Thanks for the tip about M's 8th, Luis. I must say that I find passages from M's 2nd suddenly appearing in my brain out of the blue. It is beautiful and profound stuff and I will give the (Bernstein) recording you recommended a solid 10. Mahler is the kind of composer that demands a lot of listening investment but he pays off with repeated and generous dividends. I will go to Amazon.com and look for the 8th.<P>I own about 200 CDs. 100 of those are classical--the rest are mostly old jazz. I've picked up a lot of good leads on the Beethoven boards from Luis, Shos and others. I also listen to the radio occasionally and if I hear something I like that is new to me I'll remember the piece and buy it. I've picked up some good recordings that way.<P>Happy listening,<BR>Ben<P>P.S. I like Sibelius a lot, but for some reason his 1st symphony had eluded me. I'm listening to it now and it's marvelous. Does anyone know anything about his 3rd symphony? What's the scoop on that??
BenG
4th Chair

Postby shostakovich » Wed Jul 25, 2001 9:13 pm

Hi Musicag. You've got an impressive CD collection! Your mention of Berkshire as a source must be Berkshire Record Outlet. They are located in Lee, MA, about an hour and a half from the Hartford area. I take a trip up there about twice a year. I love to browse. Sure enough, they have many good buys at $1.99 - $5.99 Prices go up to $15.00, but I don't call them good buys. They do most of their business on-line, but, as I said, I love to browse.<P>Hi BenG. Good to hear from you again, and especially about Sibelius, I have some strange affinity for his music. Syms 1 & 2 are true Romantic works. Sym 3 is his most Classical. The 2nd movement has a most beautiful melody. It's well worth getting. As an oddity, there was a TV series called Bordertown. It opened and closed with a country-and-western (per)version of the opening of the first movement. It grew on me. The program didn't. <BR>Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Musicag » Thu Jul 26, 2001 10:15 am

Hi shos,<P>That's the place. I started collecting CDs since 1988. In my somewhat small collection I have some sets that I treasure. I had many bargain-hits also. As my CD-library grows it seems that it's getting harder and harder to find the CDs I'm interested in for less than full price. Example: Rach 3 by Gilels or Berman. Liszt Transcendant Studies by Berezovsky, etc. Know any place with good selection with inexpensive price?
Musicag
5th Chair

Postby Luis » Thu Jul 26, 2001 10:25 am

Ben, <P>WAIT! Don’t go to Amazon, they only have Abbado’s version, and Chailly’s one it is said to be much better. From my part I’ve only listened the sound samples of this last one but it really impressed me. It’s also cheaper than Abbado’s. (2cds for only 15 bucks)<P>You could find Chailly’s <A HREF="http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=816130976/pagename=/RP/CDN/CLASS/muzealbum.html/itemid=1345951" TARGET=_blank> Here </A> and also on <A HREF="http://www.towerrecords.com" TARGET=_blank>www.towerrecords.com</A><P>PS: <BR>Glad you liked M2 so much! <p>[This message has been edited by Luis (edited 07-26-2001).]
Luis
4th Chair

Postby ReedMan » Thu Jul 26, 2001 1:32 pm

I have found my local Barnes & Noble store to be great for special orders. When I hear something on the radio that sounds like a keeper, I can order at the local store at a reasonable price and help the local economy.<P>I now have over 400 CD's, about 2/3 classical and the rest jazz. The desire to add to this collection is still there, only now it's maybe once a month instead of once a week.<P>Still get a thrill tearing the shrinkwrap off a new disc for a listen...
ReedMan
4th Chair

What's in your Classical Collection?

Postby Catmando » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:27 pm

What's in your collection? Thought I'd share with you my current collection. I wanted to keep it simple for now as to how I listed it, so I didn't put which orchestras, conductors, soloists, etc. :roll:

Ray's Classical Collection

BACH
Brandenburg Concertos 1-6
Cello Suites 1-6
Concerto in F major, BWV 1057
Triple Concerto BWV 1044

BEETHOVEN
12 Variations on "Se vuol ballare" from Mozart's "The Marriage of Figaro"
Christus am Olberge
Coriolan Overture
Creatures of Prometheus Overture
Diabelli Variations 1-33
Egmont Overture
Fidelio
Fur Elise
Leonore Overtures 1-3
Mass in C major
Missa Solemnis
Piano Concertos 1-5
Piano Sonatas 1-32
Piano Trios
Romance for Violin & Orchestra # 1
Romance for Violin & Orchestra # 2
Rondo WoO 41
Ruins of Athens Overture
Six German Dances WoO 42
String Quartets 1-16
Symphonies 1-9
Triple Concerto
Violin Concerto
Violin Sonatas 1-10

BRUCKNER
Symphonies 1-9

DVORAK
American Suite
Carnival Overture
Czech Suite
In Nature's Realm Overture
My Home Overture
Othello Overture
Scherzo capriccioso
Symphonic Poem - "Wild Dove"
Symphonies 1-9

HANDEL
Messiah

BERLIOZ
Roman Carnival
Symphonie Fantastique

VIVALDI
Concerto in A major RV 159
Four Seasons Concerto
Bassoon Concerto RV 501 "La Notte"
Oboe & String Orchestra Concerto in A minor

MOZART
Best of compilation
Violin Concerto # 3

BRAHMS
Academic Festival Overture
Double Concerto
Five Songs, Op. 105
Haydn Variations (St. Anthony)
Horn Trio
Piano Concertos 1-2
Schicksalslied (Song of Destiny)
Symphonies 1-4
Tragic Overture
Two Songs, Op. 91
Violin Concerto

MAHLER
Symphonies 1-9
Symphony # 10 - Adagio

ANTOINE DE L'HOYER
Concerto for guitare & strings
3 Guitar duos

AARON BROCK
Toccata

JOAQUIN RODRIGO
Concerto de Aranjuez
Fantasie pour un gentille homme

TCHAIKOVSKY
Best of compilation

CHOPIN
Ballades 1-4
Scherzos 1-4

WENDY (WALTER) CARLOS
A Clockwork Orange - Complete Original Score
Switched on Bach I
Switched on Bach II
Switched on Brandenburgs
Tales of Heaven & Hell
The Shining & Tron - Complete Original Score
Well-Tempered Synthesizer

SOUNDTRACKS
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
Eyes Wide Shut
Frankenstein (1994 film)
The Omen

MICHAEL OLDFIELD
Tubular Bells

VARIETY COMPILATIONS
Classic Inspirations
Classics by Candlelight
Classics for Meditation
Classics for Relaxation
Moonlight Classics
Quiet Moods
Rainy Day Classics
Sunday Morning Classics
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:22 pm

My record collection has probably grown by a hundred or so since I wrote that message above. I now have about half of the Angel's Sonic Series of 12" 45 RPM records. I probably have about that many more CDs as well. I didn't have any DVDs at the time, so that's running around a hundred as well.

I recall someone posting a database program that would read your CDs and fill in the details in its database so you could locate a selection easily, and you could also manually enter analog recordings as well.

Damned shame I never got around to getting it, and now I have no idea what it was.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:37 pm

Most of the media players will compile a catalogue for you, barfle. You just have to play the CD while connected to the www.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:30 am

Catmando wrote:12 Variations on "Se vuol ballare" from Mozart's "The Marriage of Figaro"

That's somthing new to me. I requested the original last week, and it was aired in the 4 o clock slot. May be I'll make a request for Beethoven's version.

Nice collection by the way.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:57 am

Thanks Nav. I am trying to "fast" from buying CD's now until Christmas time. Oh well, we'll see how that goes.

In the meantime, I have alot of music to enjoy already with not enough hours in the day to listen. :)
Catmando
1st Chair

Next

Return to Musical Notes