How did you fall in love.......with classical music?

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby Catmando » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:05 pm

I apologize if there was a prior post with this type of question. I looked back a bit at prior posts and didn't find anything.

The question to anyone who wishes to tell their own story is: How did you fall in love with classical music? What's your story?

I'd be very interested in knowing how everyone came to love classical. It would also be great to hear from some fellow Canucks, if you're out there?! :)

Well, here's how I fell in love with classical. It started about 3 years ago, when I became really into Stanley Kubrick's movies. The manner in which he used music and sound in his movies, I thought, was magnificent and brilliant. From A Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining, Barry Lyndon and Eyes Wide Shut, the music was a huge part of my enjoyment of his films, and I still enjoy his films tremendously to this day.

I started buying the soundtracks to Kubrick's films, starting with Clockwork, Eyes Wide Shut and 2001. I was really into Wendy Carlos' version of excerpts of Beethoven's 9th Symphony. I enjoyed it so much, that I went out and bought the Nikolaus Harnoncourt & Chamber Orchestra of Europe box set recording of all 9 Beethoven Symphonies........and the rest is history!! I've been a fan of classical ever since and I listen to it almost exclusively.

Look forward to hearing some of your stories!

Ray
Catmando
1st Chair

Re: How did you fall in love.......with classical music?

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:17 pm

At the age of 13, listening to Nutcracker Suite on a set of 78's that belonged to my grandmother. Still have what's left of 'em.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby analog » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:06 pm

Mine's dull but here it is......

Once upon a time Mom & Dad took sister and me to a children's concert in the old Miami Auditorium. I will always remember the sensation when that live music started - that violin sound was sheer pleasure; as if i were standing in an ambrosia waterfall. They played a couple of marches, and 'the worried drummer', and i don't know what else and the time seemed to just fly by. Thereafter I was mesmerized by live music and never failed to attend a school band concert.

When I got into high school I saved my money and bought a stereo record player. My first album was Arthur Fiedler's "Marches in Hi Fi". Subsequent Fiedler albums showed me there was a whole world of symphonic music out there. I found Miami's AM classical station, WVCG, (FM was still a novelty) and just never stopped listening. My '49 Buick had a really good radio with push-pull 6V6's. I put Jensen 6X9 speakers front and rear and got to the point I could recognize several of the popular symphony orchestras by their sound.

I found music to be good for the psyche at those dramatic times in life. Mozart's Requiem got Sister and me through the letdown after Mom's funeral. Rachmaninoff piano #2 (Rocky II) saw me through the devastation of a divorce. "Marriage of Figaro" made a fine wedding march. That "Bells of St Genevieve CD twice floated me through those long hospital nights after heart attacks.

But I never learned anything about music. Now I'm almost 60 and it's about time. To that end I've just picked up a book, "Young Person's Guide to Music", which appears elementary enough for me. Now I'll understand some of the words you folks use.

Sorry to go on so about me - but your subject struck a chord.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby russia » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:36 pm

cartoons
russia
Section Player

Postby russia » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:41 pm

cartoon's
russia
Section Player

Postby OperaTenor » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:31 am

Hi Russia, welcome to the Pit! :)
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:32 am

Cartoons, the Lone Ranger, and Lawrence Welk (which is what the cartoons and Lone Ranger were better than.)
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Essence of Yorrick » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:29 am

I fell in love with classical music a long time ago. I was in the fifth grade and our music teacher (an old hag that liked to pull hair but could play the piano beautifully) put on a recording of Schubert's Unfinished Symphony. She told us a bit about this long dead composer and the music did the rest. I walked out of that class a changed man (boy) and gratefully haven't recovered yet. I left my life and home in west Texas and have been living in Europe for the past 33 years. I consider myself a real world traveler and firmly believe that Europe, as a whole, offers more in the way of classical music and performances. I've been to Berlin, Paris, Prague, Amsterdam and Moscow (to name just a few)and the popularity of this sort of music hasn't seemed to have changed much.
My tastes in music have changed as the years of enjoyment passed. Whereas I was first attracted to symphonies and pieces requiring complete orchestra, it evolved through solo works and even into opera. I think it is safe to say the more I hear, the more I love.
I hope this tidbit of information has helped you in your quest for the driving forces behind classical music buffs.
Greetings from Holland, Thom Swennes
Essence of Yorrick
Section Player

Postby barfle » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:41 am

I had some 78s of Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty when I was a kid, but never really considered classical music to be very interesting until I was in my mid 20s.

I was working for a company that made high end and professional audio gear, and some of the engineers there were definitely audiophiles, and we would go to their houses at lunch and have them show off their gear. One day, one of the demos was Switched on Bach. Definitely not sleepy, definitely interesting. I got my own copy (in quad, BTW), and just thought it was about as cool as sound could get. Then I started wondering what it sounded like played traditionally, so I bought another record, thought that was pretty cool, and sounded good on my audio gear. Then I started hearing about other pieces that were great demos, like 1812 Overture, Holst's The Planets, Respighi's Pines of Rome, Beethoven's 9th, and it got completely out of control.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:16 pm

In my case it grew on me and was an inseparable part of my life starting from earliest childhood. My parents used to listen to music on the radio and discuss what they heard, and took me to operas and ballets at Sadlers Wells, and concerts at the Albert Hall - also "Fantasia".
We used to go to the local park on Saturday afternoons in the summer to hear performances given by (police, fire brigade etc.) bands or small orchestras.
At school we had music lessons, I took violin classes at one stage, and friends of mine studied other instruments. In all of my social circles - youth clubs, mates at school and college - listening to classical music on records or the radio, attending concerts etc. was something we did regularly and took for granted.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby navneeth » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:22 pm

I don't know! :confused:
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:52 pm

Radio in the 40s.
Lone Ranger (William Tell, Les Preludes, Fingal's Cave)
Green Hornet (Flight of the Bumblebee, Firebird, Ilya Mourometz, Accursed Hunter, Il Guarany)

These seeds came to fruition much later.

The tipping point was a very popular pop contribution called Midnight Sleighride. A smarter-than-the-average-bear DJ let his audience know it came from Lieutenant Kije. My neighbor had once borrowed it from the library and played it for me. The music left little impression, but the name stuck. I went to the libe to check it out and found hundreds of albums (78s). I checked them all out over the course of my high school days.

Welcome to the fragende Hollander.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:17 pm

Originally posted by shostakovich:
a very popular pop contribution called Midnight Sleighride. A smarter-than-the-average-bear DJ let his audience know it came from Lieutenant Kije. My neighbor had once borrowed it from the library and played it for me. The music left little impression, but the name stuck. I went to the libe to check it out and found hundreds of albums (78s). I checked them all out over the course of my high school days.
I have a Christmas album by Ferrante and Teicher titled Snowbound. On it, there is a piece called "Happy Sleigh Ride," which, I later discovered via serendipity, was from Lt. Kije.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:59 pm

She was with me in high school, and I developed an evelasting crush on her.
alternatively, we had some casettes with recordings from LP's of a few classics: Beethoven's odd number symphonies and the 6th (last movt. was missing), Peter & the Wolf, Unfinished, and Bach harpsichord concerti (didn't like these). the sound quality (and playback means) was awful, but that's how i was first exposed. I was an especially big fan of the 9th.
I let it stay at that level of involvement until I suddenly became intensely interested in music (mostly pop) at age 13, but while exploring pop, my mother started buying classical CD's (loads of them), and I immediately realized their superioity. so I became a fanatically zealous classical music fan (this is redundant, "fan" is short for fanatic).

<small>[ 03-19-2006, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: bignaf ]</small>
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:38 pm

russia and Essence,

Welcome to the B.comBB!

Leonard Bernstein's Young People's Concerts

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Junebug » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:30 am

Ballet School for 13 years-we were lucky enough to have a pianist who played classical music for us to dance to.
June
JuneBug
Junebug
5th Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:14 am

I guess I should say that I met classical music watching Leonard Bernstein's concert series, but It was the soundtrack to the move Rollerball (The first one, with James Caan) that really brought us together. It was the first time I recall hearing Bach's Toccata in D Minor performed on the organ. It was also the first time I had heard Albinoni's Adagio. It was (and is) an excellent classical music album.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:08 pm

My parents played both classical music and “beautiful music” when I was growing up. I can remember the full body revulsion I felt when a familiar pop tune was rendered in 101 strings, so I pretty much tuned out anything that had violins in my teen years. Of course I still liked classic cartoon music and I went to a few young people’s orchestras, more because I was fascinated with the orchestra and the orchestra house than the music. There was a time as a youngster where I gave up popular music for Lent and I started listening to talk radio. The local classical station was in between the two talk stations on the dial. So as I was tuning between them, I would hear some classical music, but this station was fully into atonal tunes (late 70’s) so there was nothing to pull me in there.

Tunes my older sisters played on the radio by Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath resonated more with me and I started liking heavy metal music and stuck with it pretty much as my favorite music thought my 20s and early 30’s. Metal died an ignoble death in popular culture, but I kept my head banging for much longer in private. :) I still respected other brands of rock and listened to classic rock stations when metal went off the air.

By the time I was in my mid thirties, I was really growing intellectually and spiritually and I was becoming less and less satisfied with metal. My tape library got played less and less and when I did dive into it, I came away saying “What was I thinking?” I also got a new job about that time and wanted some background sound to make the tedious parts of the day go faster. I could never listen to rock and do focused work because it would distract me. I thought that maybe if I played some classical music in the background, I could work without distraction. So I googled classical web stations and b.com was the second on the list, but the first one to work reliably for me. I liked the hosts and the “top 40” approach to classical where the tunes were familiar from my childhood or from usage as background music in films or commercials. I started listening every day at work. Then I found the forums and the hook was set. So I can truly say the b.com and all you folks on the forum have made me fall in love with classical. Thanks.

I still dip into the heavy metal waters, but I only listen to those bands who use intellectually stimulating forms of composition. For me now, it’s about the composition more than anything else in both classical and rock. I’m always asking, “How do they combine the notes and the rhythm to get that sound?”

<small>[ 03-21-2006, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: BigJon@Work ]</small>
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:05 pm

I still have a copy of Thick as a Brick lying around, which I enjoy from time to time. I'm actually fascinated that my son and many of his friends are starting to enjoy the rock music of my youth, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Mott the Hoople, Uriah Heep, etc.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:09 pm

Bugs Bunny Cartoons

:)
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Next

Return to Musical Notes