How did you fall in love.......with classical music?

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: How did you fall in love.......with classical music?

Postby piqaboo » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:46 pm

Chorale music. All those voices doing all those fine things.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:44 pm

Originally posted by DavidS:

I've been compared to a dog howling when he hears music...
I just visualized that. LOL :D
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby analog » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:57 pm

Originally posted by ai4i:
WVCG (Wonderful Voice of Coral Gables) had a good day signal but dropped by 13dB at night. What years are we talking about? I would guesstimate the early sixties.
Right on, ai4i... I was class of '64 and a rather accomplished nerd. I preferred WVCG's classical stuff to the rock&roll. We'd be talkng '62 to '64 timeframe, before everybody had an FM set. That old Buick radio sounded darn good! Real high fidelity home systems were rare then, too. I eventually built a 7199/6BQ5 amp that served me well through the seventies.

I guess WQAM's Rick Shaw is still playing 60's R&R around Miami, but it's been filtered by time. I find his taste in it quite appealing today.

I lived in Miami Springs where WVCG's nighttime drop in power wasn't noticeable.

Sounds like we have some nostalgia in common. :)
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:17 am

Trumpetmaster,

"Bugs Bunny Cartoons"

Yup, me too. There was an early Warner Bros. cartoon that had a caveman (voice by Jack Benny sound-alike??) and a magpie (big black bird). Every time the bird came on screen they started playing the overture from "Fingal's cave" and I was absolutely captivated from a very early age.

It was probably 20 years until I realized the few notes played actually belong to Mendelssohn's Hebridean overture and there was a lot of other music surrounding those few notes.

Something similar happened when I heard notes from the Greig’s anvil chorus from “Hall of the Mountain King” I loved that part but then found out there was lots of other notes around that

I didn't really get into all classical until my late 30's early 40's.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:50 am

[hijack]
this is what I see when I link to the board this am:
Re: How did you fall in love.......with...
(Haggis@wk)
And I keep thinking... he's a very nice man, but, uhm, I didnt.....
[/hijack]
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:26 pm

Originally posted by Haggis@wk:
Trumpetmaster,

"Bugs Bunny Cartoons"

Something similar happened when I heard notes from the Greig’s anvil chorus from “Hall of the Mountain King” I loved that part but then found out there was lots of other notes around that

Just for the record - Grieg's "Hall of the Mountain King" Chorus is NOT to be confused with "The Anvil Chorus" from Verdi's "Il Trovatore"!
They are both GREAT!
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:24 am

I never heard the "hall of the mountain king" with chorus....
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:17 am

Originally posted by bignaf:
I never heard the "hall of the mountain king" with chorus....
Yes, the incidental music to Ibsen' play "Peer Gynt" is mainly instrumental, apart from "Solveg's song" and "Ingrid's Lament".
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:39 pm

I have a phenomenal recording of "Peer Gynt". conducted by Sir Thomas Beecham, complete with all of the Norwegian singing.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby bignaf » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:19 am

but no chorus in the hall of mountain king-dude, right?
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:42 am

Originally posted by bignaf:
but no chorus in the hall of mountain king-dude, right?
No, there is a chorus in "In the Hall of the Mountain King".
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby wm12324 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:51 am

On a Whim I went to the University Symphony, and saw Puccini's-Madame butterfuly! By the end I was hooked..........
WSH
wm12324
Section Player

Postby DavidS » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:26 am

Originally posted by wm12324:
On a Whim I went to the University Symphony, and saw Puccini's-Madame butterfuly! By the end I was hooked..........
I video recorded a performance of La Boheme on Mezzo (cable tv channel).
If ever I want a good cry - that's what I play!
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:50 am

Originally posted by Haggis@wk:
Trumpetmaster,

"Bugs Bunny Cartoons"

Yup, me too. There was an early Warner Bros. cartoon that had a caveman (voice by Jack Benny sound-alike??) and a magpie (big black bird). Every time the bird came on screen they started playing the overture from "Fingal's cave" and I was absolutely captivated from a very early age.

It was probably 20 years until I realized the few notes played actually belong to Mendelssohn's Hebridean overture and there was a lot of other music surrounding those few notes.

Haggis,
Yup.... I was addicted to them and it's
hard to believe how much classical music
is in the toons!!!
Love em all!!
Regards,
TM :)
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby bignaf » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:22 pm

bump
post in this thread if you haven't yet! that's a command! :!:
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:10 pm

thanks bignaf!

It's interesting to see everyone's story on how they fell in love with classical. :D
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:36 pm

I dug up this thread because Pumpkin has been watching our DVD of Animals are Beautiful People, and has said how much he likes the music. For those that don't know - it's chock full of classical. Course, they don't list the music in the credits and I've only found some guesses online. Thought one of y'all might know. Particularly, what's the music they play for the sidewinder snake? anyway, he had liked some stuff from Bugs Bunny (I have an video - What's Opera Doc, that he's watched), but I think this is really peaking his interest. This from the kid who would rather listen to Van Halen than 'kid music' - his dad's influence. He also likes some tracks from Medieval Baebes (my influence, though dad likes 'em too), and the Imperial March from Star Wars. Kid's got a diverse taste in music for being only 4.
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:01 pm

I don't know how or why I actually came to like classical music so much, but it was at an early age. I was in early middle school and I used to listen to the radio as I was falling asleep. There was a station that I usually loathed called WWSW in Pittsburgh PA. They usually played "Grandma Music" which I defined as Lawrence Welk-type stuff...quasi classical elevator music crap (sorry if I offend anyone)

Anyway...each night around 9:00PM the station had "The Golden Hour" when they would play "real" classical music. Something about it just relaxed, yet awakened me. The intro music was from the Planets...Jupiter, I believe. For years, before I had more fully explored a lot of the clasical music, I would have flashbacks upon hearing a previously unremembered peice, of laying in bed with the wonderful melodies and sounds filling my head as I drifted off to sleep. Some of them sometimes hit me like a revelation...a once heard but long lost memory of a song or passage of a symphony. I would catapult back to feelings, smells and emotions of my early time here on the planet.

So, I guess the message is to introduce your kids to classical music early. You never know what chord it might strike with them later in life.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby neville a henry » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:08 pm

my journey started about the age of seven, with only had one radio station,most of the time it was classical music played. my first buy , Mantovani at the age of eighteen, i ended up having maybe fifteen,then usual excerps from operas,symphonys ballets,overtours etcs. my first big buy was Beethovens fifth symphony, then a friend said to me you must get the eroika. he died in an a /a crash twenty seven years ago. reading ,going to concerts in europe, usa and the caribbean made me collecting almost six hundred. now i am an home conductor .
neville a henry
Section Player

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:58 am

welcome neville a henry to the BBB!!!
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes