Phantom of the Opera

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Phantom of the Opera

Postby Crystal » Mon Nov 19, 2001 2:07 pm

I just met some new friends and they have pretty much invited me to everything they enjoy doing. That's not a problem because they're really nice and fun, but they've invited me to the Phantom of the Opera, in February in St. Louis, MO. I'm really excited because I've heard nothing by praise for the whole musical, but I've never seen it before. I heard some of the music (mostly at Beethoven.com :)) and really enjoy it. I'm afraid I must admit all I know about the actual play part is that some guy with a mask on his face plays the organ and falls in love with this woman. That's it. Would someone tell me a little more about it without ruining the story, and give me any tips you think would be helpful for watching it. I think we'll actually be at an opera house. I've seen some operettas, musicals and plays, but usually in a theater and once in a castle; never in an opera house.<BR>We also get to dress up for the whole thing: guys wearing suits and tuxes; girls wearing satin, velvet, and lace. Call me weird or childish, but I really love doing that. I guess that's why I enjoy operettas, and musicals, but for reasons I've never been able to explain, I hate ballet. It's nothing against the dancers, but I just can't stay awake through it all. I would appreciate any answers to this.
"I think I think, therefore, I think I am."
Crystal
5th Chair

Location: Pick one: Missouri, Mississippi, Germany, California

Re: Phantom of the Opera

Postby audiogirl » Mon Nov 19, 2001 4:18 pm

My suggestion: Read a synopsis of the story, and listen to the soundtrack before you go to the show. It's much easier to follow if you know the plot and are familiar with the words to the songs. <P>This show is indeed coming to the Fabulous Fox theatre in St. Louis in February. It's the ideal place to see this show. <P>Have fun!<P> :)<p>[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: audiogirl ]
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby Crystal » Tue Nov 20, 2001 11:54 am

Thanks a lot audiogirl, but can you give me an idea where to find a synopsis? My friend said she'd let be borrow her Phantom CD, so I could be familiar with the words and such.<P>Speaking of the Fabulous Fox, I didn't know that's what it's called, but it certainly inspires confidence in a wonderful evening if it's as nice as you say. Thanks.
Crystal
5th Chair

Postby audiogirl » Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:02 pm

<A HREF="http://www.thephantomoftheopera.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.thephantomoftheopera.com/</A>
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby audiogirl » Tue Nov 20, 2001 4:15 pm

P.S. The Fox is not just nice. It's very old-fashioned, a little bit spooky---and it has its very own "chandelier." A "Phantom" fan would really appreciate it.
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby Crystal » Wed Nov 21, 2001 12:08 pm

I really appreciate that link. :D Now I'm really excited about going! I'll probably have to get another job to pay for the ticket, though! :eek: But that's ok. That link even showed the Fox Theater. It's going to be a really great show! Thanks a lot!
Crystal
5th Chair

Postby Szereck » Wed Dec 05, 2001 1:11 pm

I'm not one that is too fond of Opera but I can say that I did enjoy seeing Phantom several years ago... :( <P>Szereck
Szereck
5th Chair

Postby niccolo_paganini » Tue Jan 01, 2002 9:01 pm

Gaston Leroux
niccolo_paganini
4th Chair

Postby rdbdivadiva » Thu Jan 17, 2002 1:22 pm

The Phantom of The Opera is a 'Musical' NOT an opera :cool:
rdbdivadiva
Section Player

Postby cheerfulmouse » Wed Feb 20, 2002 3:40 am

sitting here reading board and saying phantom is not an opera, then you came up with it sooo pleased. First time I do a post :eek:
where there is life there is hope.
cheerfulmouse
Section Player

Postby Crystal » Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:42 pm

OK, everyone. I've been away from Beethoven for WAY too long :(, but now I don't have speakers, so I guess I'll just have to talk to everyone and hum my own music ;) <P>By the way,Phantom of the Opera is NOT an opera, it is a musical with some opera singing in the plays within the musical. That sounds a bit confusing, but I don't remember the technical words for it. <P>Oh well, Phantom was so great! I couldn't possibly put into words how much I enjoyed the whole thing. Maybe I have a sinister streak, but my favorite part of it was the Phantom of the Opera's lair and how they made the stage look so much like water and floating candles and everything. <P>Speaking of sinister, the Phantom's theme is my favorite. I just love all those minor chords and keys. I mean, "Music of the Night" is still quite beautiful, but I like minor chords, what can I say. :roll: <P>Thanks to all who gave me websites and ideas for better enjoyment.<p>[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: Flutegirl ]
Crystal
5th Chair

Postby James C. Fretz » Sun May 12, 2002 6:48 am

Phantom is a powerful piece of theater, and I have only recently obtained the recording. A very close friend of mine has performed the role, as well as that of Joe Gillis in "Sunset Boulevard", both in the UK and US. He tells me that Phantom is his favorite role. I can readily understand why.
James C. Fretz
Section Player

Return to Culture Connections