Concerts

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Concerts

Postby Brodie » Mon Aug 12, 2002 4:59 pm

I'm sorry I just can't stand the sight of something with only 21 posts. So I thought i would atleast try to help it out. Hey if nothing else atleast it wil make it to 22 right?<P>So here's my question. Who are your favorite composers, conducters, artists, maestros, to see live?<P><BR>-Brodie
Brodie
4th Chair

Re: Concerts

Postby BenMurphy6 » Mon Aug 12, 2002 10:34 pm

last summer i saw gil shaham perform the brahms double concerto at a free (!!) concert up in idaho. that was great; he is a great virtuoso and a lot of fun to watch...it's clear that he has a great time performing. <BR>other than that, i really enjoy the conductor of the greensboro (nc) symphony orchestra, stuart malinas. no one particularly famous, but he has a wonderful, easy stage demeanor and i have thoroughly enjoyed all of his interpretations. by the way, if anyone is in the greensboro area this fall i believe their opening night concert is featuring beethoven's third. should be great!<P>hmm, let's see..who else have i seen live...no one, i guess. i don't get out much :(
BenMurphy6
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:11 am

Brodie, when you ask the question that way, a lot of extra pieces come into play. During a live performance, there's a lot more going on than just the music. Anne-Sophie Mutter is a very talented violinist, but her on-stage persona turns many people off because it distracts from the music. I've had the chance to see her perform once, and thought she was fascinating. <P>I really enjoy Thomas Hampson's singing (baritone), particularly the works of Copland. <P>When the Pacific Symphony Orchestra was searching for a new Conductor/Music Director, they had a guy named Vakhtang Jordania try out, and he was a lot of fun to watch, in addition to getting a lot of music out of the orchestra. I don't know what he's up to these days, but I'd like to see him again.<P>Jim
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Brodie » Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:22 pm

I realize that. But come on. I'm not just talking about the music. I think stage persence is sometimes, even more important than the music. I saw, I believe a violinist by the name of......I think Isaac Stern, when I was really young, and just the way he played it was awesome. The way he would just hold it, play it, move with it, it was all just so friggin' cool. I hear George Clinton, when he's conducting, is a real treat as well.<P>I believe I asked the question, who was good to see in concert, or something of that nature so I stick to that, and not just the music.<P>On the plus side, this post has reached 25. Yippie.<P><BR>-Brodie
Brodie
4th Chair

Postby Brodie » Sat Aug 31, 2002 10:57 am

I saw it again. After all this time he performed again. Barry Belmont, thats the ol' bugger's name. I heard it, I finally did. His symphony of guitars. Oh and how it was a treat, about half as many people were able to play (due to space) though so only about a dozen guitarists but I got to see him play his 12 string. Ah I practiclly melted, it was beauty, saddness, tragedy, and huge all at the same time. Oh it was gorgeous. Al the notes and sounds interweaving rhythm up to wazoo. Oh and the last singing bit, that was new. It was great....Oh how it was great.....<P><BR>-Brodie
Brodie
4th Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:32 am

We saw the Virginia Symphony under Joann Faletta last Saturday in Williamsburg. It was supposed to be "under the stars" but as is typical of Williamsburg on Labor Day weekend, it rained like crazy, so they moved it to a hotel ballroom.<P>They played several Beethoven pieces, including the 7th Symphony. Maestro Faletta really gets into the music - she's a lot of fun to watch. The acoustics of the venue left a bit to be desired, the double basses were real boomy, which is a real shame since they have some good flavor to add to the piece. Also, the lighting was pretty awful. Back stage they have cool white fluorescent lights, which were left on even though there were lights on the music stands and the house was dark. They had spotlights in the ceiling, but as far as I could tell, were not used.<P>But the Symphony seems quite competent. There were a few miscues, but not so much that I felt there was any serious problem.<P>But it would have been great to have experienced the outdoor venue.<P>Oh, I forgot to add that I won the tickets from Beethoven.com.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby EJA » Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:43 am

How could Anne-Sophie Mutter's on-stage persona turn anyone off? It might be different if she weren't a great violinist. I've analyzed this carefully, and with as much un-bias as I am capable (which isn't much, admittedly), but I think she is in the category of Heifetz and Perlman. The fact that she looks smashing doesn't subtract from that. It does probably make life harder for Hillary Hahn and Midori, though.
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:56 am

Ethan, I figure you asked me that question, so I'll just pass on my opinions, which are worth what you paid for them.<P>She's quite animated on stage. She gestures a lot, shrugs her shoulders, leans and sways, almost like she's trying to do the surfer stomp to the violin concerto she's playing. Some folks find that disturbing and distracting, I find it very interesting.<P>You may have noticed that I often use the phrase "fun to watch." She fits in that category, and she's one hell of a musician, too. I saw her once doing a violin concerto, which was the second piece played that evening. She also had a seat in the second violins for the symphony after the intermission. It seems like she really loves to play music, and I really loved being in her presence.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby priya978 » Sun Oct 13, 2002 10:58 pm

My favorite composers are(gee I'm getting tires of saying this) Beethoven,and Stravinsky (I was just playing the French Horn melody from his firebird finale)<BR>My favorite conductor:Leonard Bernstein-PURE GENIUS (that's all that I can say)<BR>My favorite performer I can't name any less than two:Athur Rubenstien (Despite the fact that he's not alive) and on a more lively note Itzhak Perlman-Paganin's 24 caprices recording-he could've adhered more closely to the details of the caprices ( ie dynamics,etc.)-but still the most talented living virtuouso EVER!!!!!!
priya978
3rd Chair

Return to Culture Connections