Culture

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Culture

Postby barfle » Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:43 am

I have friends who think that Tolkien is an excellent writer. Other than that, they generally have good taste.<P>I read "The Hobbit" when I was in my twenties and I agree with Brodie: it just goes on and on and then it stops. I saw LOTR, and it just seemed to be a retelling of the same story. Maybe some authors only have one story that they write several times.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby tancred » Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:58 pm

Tolkien did not write the script! Blaming him for your dislike of the film can hardly be blamed on him. ;)
"What, the flames already?"<BR>The last words of Voltaire, a life-long atheist.
tancred
4th Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:03 pm

Hey, tanc, I gave him a second chance. It sure seemed like the same story to me: A journey through a magical place with lots of new monsters to defeat at every turn.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby priya978 » Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:55 pm

Isn't it strange.<BR>Sorry I'm an examiner/analyzer.<BR>Isn't it strange how the subjects change. I.E. this was about if you listen to a certain kind of music then are you supposed to act a certain way? but now it's changed to Tolkien. :D
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby Brodie » Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:28 pm

If I may just ask...What exactly is your point?<P><BR>-Brodie
Brodie
4th Chair

Postby priya978 » Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:36 pm

Nothing. A lot of my friends tell me that I never get to the point. (Or that it takes a long time, and that I go on about stuff that doesn't even matter, like now.)
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby Brodie » Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:13 pm

Whatever bblows your skirt up I guess...<P><BR>-Brodie<P>P.S. Has anyone else noticed the huge increase of Angel fans all of a sudden?
Brodie
4th Chair

Postby EricMichaels » Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:37 am

Angel fans? As in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer spinoff on Sunday nights? :D
EricMichaels
4th Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:10 am

Brodie, I lived in Orange County, California (Cities of Orange and Anaheim) since 1959, and I got used to the Angels losing the big ones. I noted that their biggest tradition was the "halo choke," that often showed up in either the 8th or 9th inning.<P>Now that I'm on the opposite side of the country, they win the world series. It's clearly my fault.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Brodie » Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:00 pm

Same with my Raiders. Every year I say I don't care if they win or lose. Then they start winning I have a little faith in them and it all goes to hell.<P>Same with everything else I have faith in it always ends up sucking...oh well...I have like bad voodoo or something...<P><BR>-Brodie<BR>P.S. I mean seriously...up until liek the sixth game no one cared....after that everyone was "I Told you the Angels were going to win. They're my team." Its very sad.
Brodie
4th Chair

Postby TuneGirl » Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:53 pm

Hey Guys, don't forget the biggest blunder of all time in Beantown....I'm talking Bill Buckner's missed grounder at first base lost the series for the Red Sox! I had to switch back into New York mode and celebrate the Mets that year.<P>Tunegirl
TuneGirl
5th Chair

Postby Brodie » Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:40 pm

I remember that. My friend over in Boston the next day was so pissed. He said that he ended up smashin his remote and scratching up his floor. <P>But lets not forget the worst call in all time history. When the Raiders went up against I believe the Ravens at a shot at the superbowl and the referee made that bonehead call......oh boy when that happened I had the opputunity to take the life of a fellow human being about oh lets just say 27 times. :mad: KILL THE REF!!!<P><BR>-Brodie
Brodie
4th Chair

Postby TuneGirl » Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:55 am

Hey Brodie, <BR>I'm thinking of taking my niece to see the Nutcracker in Boston. Haven't seen it myself since my NYC days. Any chance your friend in Boston would know if the Boston version is good? Saw it in RI awhile back and it was pretty disappointing....
TuneGirl
5th Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:12 pm

Tunegirl, I can't vouch for what's going on in Boston, but I've seen the Nutcracker performed by everyone from ABT to the Orange County Ballet Company (lots of little girls in tutus). <P>I've always enjoyed it, but I'm a sap for just about anything Christmas (well, maybe not the cold weather). I don't know how old your neice is, but if she's not sophisticated enough to know the really good from the pretty good, take her. The music is magical (it's Tchaikovsky, after all) and the story is appealing to children of all ages (even this 55 year old child). :D
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Brodie » Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:35 pm

Hey TuneGirl...<P>If you want a performance what you should do is check out the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. They put on one hell of a performance and for all the times I've seen them not a bad price (though in some venues it can get a little pricey) for the show. You do get a blend of cultures though. They bring out the metal heads as well as the siphistos but its a great concert overall. In fact I think they're near Boston towards the end of December or so. You should check them out.<P><BR>-Brodie
Brodie
4th Chair

Previous

Return to Culture Connections