OperaTenor

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: OperaTenor

Postby dkm32 » Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:53 pm

For those who would like to send cards to OT...hang in there a bit. It didn't seem to be clear whether OT would be at Mercy Hospital just for the surgery, then returned to Palomar. Palomar is very close to home for him. <P>Here's the info for Mercy Hospital:<BR>Scripps Mercy Hospital <BR>4077 5th Ave, <BR>San Diego, CA 92103 <BR>Phone: (619) 294-8111<P>I'll be checking tomorrow (Surgery status and location). And, I will let everyone know.
Donna
aka: Josef Strauss Nut
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby priya978 » Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:00 pm

Guess I should send him my wishes.<BR> <BR>BEST WISHES OT!!!!! :D <P>(I mean not send him, write them, then you can tell him.) :D
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby dkm32 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:05 pm

Update on OT:<P>He hasn't been transfered to Mercy Hospital yet. He's still at Palomar Hospital. He'll be there for at least 2 more days.<P>He has developed a fever and the source is unknown. They took blood and will send it down to San Diego to have the white blood cells isolated and markers put on them. He will then be injected with the cells. The Hospital folks will than trace them to find out where the infection is.<P>He says he fells about the same, just the fever gets bad at times.<P>He said to say thanks to everyone for the flowers, cards, prayers and good wishes.<P>Just as a side note, if anyone tried to get a hold of him: When I called it took about 6-8 transfers to find him. The Cardiac Unit had lost power. All the patients were moved around to make room for the Cardiac patients.<P>I'll get another update on friday and post it.
Donna
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby TJRDN » Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:33 pm

Please also send him my regards. I haven't been posting much lately so I just found out about this unfortunate situation. I'd very much like to mail a card once he has been transfered. I hope that tech gets the boot also. If I were a family member and heard of this,that guy would be flat on his a#%.
TJRDN
4th Chair

Postby dkm32 » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:07 pm

I just talked to Jim. His fever is down and he is awaiting the transport to move him to Mercy Hospital. Once there, it sounds like he'll be staying put until he is through inpatient rehab...which means a couple of months. <P>He's bored! laying flat on his back staring at the ceiling. He does have a TV, but just how much of that one can take is debatable.<P>For those who want to send card/flowers: I told Jim there are quite a few people who waiting to find out where he's going to be before sendiing anything. Once Jim is a Mercy, I'm sure it will be safe to send stuff. <P>I'll check his local on Monday.<P>Have a good weekend, all!
Donna
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:18 pm

Hi Donna. Is there any up-date on where to send cards or on Jim's condition or on the impending operation? Thanks.<BR>Shos<P>PS: Hope YOU are well.<p>[ 02-18-2003: Message edited by: shostakovich ]
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:26 pm

Just spoke to OT on the phone. He's scheduled for pelvic repair tomorrow, is in room 728 at Mercy Hospital; address previously posted. <P>He seems in pretty good spirits, said he appreciated cards, phone calls, and is looking to get a computer hooked up so he can get back on line. Hospital rooms are pretty boring. He expects to be at Mercy through the postoperative recovery.<P>He said that his bike is dead. Slain. Tragically slaughtered. Perhaps somebody more musical than I am could write it a requiem?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby TJRDN » Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:36 pm

I'll try to mail a get well card out in the next few days. It would be great if he could connected online again. Anything that helps speed his recovery is a good thing.
TJRDN
4th Chair

Postby gwleitner » Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:45 pm

I visited Jim/OT today at Mercy Hospital. He asked me to thank all you BeeBB'ers for your prayers, greetings and good wishes. He is scheduled to have his pelvis realigned and fastened with stainless steel pins tomorrow pm by a top orthopedic surgeon. Saw pictures he has of his motorcycle (parts) including the crumpled frame designed by BMW to absorb crash energy. This, the armor and helmet he was wearing and the luck of the fall all helped save him from much worse. He is in good spirits and the tenor voice is just as loud as ever. As reported, a couple months of rehab are planned. With the help of some friends on standby now, he should be back online (i.e., not the IV) in a few days.<BR>Regard, Roadie<P>[ 02-18-2003: Message edited by: Roadie ]<p>[ 02-19-2003: Message edited by: Roadie ]
gwleitner
Section Player

Postby dkm32 » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:02 pm

I'm sorry this is so late for you East Coasters. I tried to talk to Jim earlier, but he was in getting an MRI. So, on to the latest...<P>He came through surgery very well. He says he's in very little pain...in fact, he is surprised how little. They put a plate and 4 screws in his shoulder; two plates, a big pin and a bunch of screws into his pelvis. He says he'll have lots of fun at airports now! :eek: <P>The surgeon told Jim that the surgery was one of his biggest challenges!<P>Today he sat up on the edge of his bed for the first time, but it will be some time before he's walking. He'll be at Mercy Hospital for about 10 more days, then move to a skilled nursing center for a couple of weeks, then home.<P>He said to thank eveyone for all the cards, flowers, prayers, and good thoughts. They mean a lot to him and have helped quite a bit.<P>For anyone local, or anyone with an unlimited phone budget, his direct line is 619.849.4382.
Donna
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby owlice » Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:14 pm

Any update on OT?
owlice
4th Chair

Postby dkm32 » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:22 pm

OperaTenor Update...<P>Jim had surgery on his left knee to repair the ligaments. He says it's the most painful thing he has had to go through and if I had called yesterday he probably wouldn't have been able to talk. <P>The doctor saids that he expects 100% recovery, but it will be 8 weeks or more before his pelvis will be able to take a load.<P>In a couple of days he will be cloistered :roll: This will be for rehab.<P>AND, in a couple of days he should be getting a computer so he can re-join the world!
Donna
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:03 pm

Hi All,<BR>Thanks so much for all of the cards, flowers, visits and support. I've finally got access to a computer and can now get on line! We have a couple of improvements to make on this system, so at first I won't be posting much.<P>Donna's got the latest on my condition, so no stories from me just yet.<P>Thanks again everyone and lots of love!<P>Jim
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby shostakovich » Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:26 pm

Good to see you posting again, Jim. That "100% recovery" is the best news yet. Hang in there. If you got my second card, feel free to take me up on the offer.<BR>Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby owlice » Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:43 pm

<B>Wahoo!</B><P>OT, it's great to see you posting again. Might an address for The Cloisters be available? Or have you had enough from us? :)
owlice
4th Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:54 pm

hi OT! great to "see" you!
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby priya978 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:45 am

It wasn't the same without you OT!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:04 am

Welcome back! <P>Heal quickly and completely.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BenMurphy6 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:28 am

glad you're back, ot.
BenMurphy6
3rd Chair

Postby Bones » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:33 am

Welcome back OT. It's good to see you back online.
"I try to think, but nothing happens!" - Curly Howard
Bones
3rd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections