OperaTenor

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: OperaTenor

Postby treebeau » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:46 am

Ditto!<BR>Get well soon.<P>Regards,<BR>Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:39 pm

Hi All,<P>After having a good cry after reading all of your posts since yesterday, I want to thank you all again for everything you've done for me.<P>As for me, I've come to the conclusion there are "good" doctors (interested in taking care of the patient) and "evil" doctors (interested in getting the patient out of the hospital asap to keep costs down in the interest of the insurance company). The "evil" ones are currently cutting my pain meds and are threatening to turn me out of here in a day or two. I have yet to see the "good" forces today to counter the "evil" ones. As a result, I'm experiencing a bit more pain than I should, and am complaining vociferously about it. Really makes me yearn for single-payor health care. :(
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby shostakovich » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:00 pm

I'm guessing, but it seems you are getting pain meds orally (the ones that zonk and constipate?) instead of continuously [epidural (sp?)] as civilized doctors prescribe.<P>Befriend your fellow patients and the staff. Document your treatment. I hope things get better for you on their own, but -----. Good luck. <BR>Shos<P>PS: Do you have a walkman by your bedside?
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby TJRDN » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:28 pm

OT,so good so to see you back online! Hang in there. Take things one day at a time and be comforted by the thought that many care about you.
TJRDN
4th Chair

Postby EJA » Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:58 pm

Jim, glad to see you're back. Sorry to hear that you're in pain. I had pelvic surgery about exactly six months ago. I have one word for you: oxycodone. At least, that's what worked for me. And I'll keep praying for you. ;)
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby dai bread » Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:50 pm

Modern medicine is wonderful. Welocome back! :) :)
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:31 pm

modern medicine as opposed to non-modern medicine? :D I mean non-modern medicine involved putting leaches on the skin etc.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby dkm32 » Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:34 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bignaf:<BR><STRONG>I mean non-modern medicine involved putting leaches on the skin etc.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ah, hate to break it to ya, bignaf, but they still use leeches today in modern medicine...rather effectively, I might add.<P>Glad to see you're back OT! I can now retire my reporter's cap!
Donna
aka: Josef Strauss Nut
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby bignaf » Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:45 pm

donna,<BR>when? where? how? why?<BR>to suck blood?
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby priya978 » Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:44 pm

Strange (and digusting), but true Big. :roll:
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby EJA » Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:38 pm

One use I know of is in nerve transplant surgery. The leaches keep the nerve tissue alive while it is being moved. Apparently, no artificial means has been developed that is as effective.
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby audiogirl » Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:12 pm

Hi OperaTenor. Welcome back. I hope you got the card. :)
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby dai bread » Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:36 pm

Leeches are used in reconstructive surgery when there are not enough functioning blood vessels to carry away the fluid that seeps from damaged tissue. They do a wonderful job apparently. :)<P>Forgot to mention such un-modern medicine as mercury purgatives, bleeding, and amputation by saw in 30 seconds or so, without anaesthetic.<p>[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: dai bread ]
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby dkm32 » Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:44 pm

Bignaf: Just so your don't go getting gangrene, they still use maggots to clean out dead flesh!<P>Ah, what a loverly topic!<P>How ya feeling, OT????
Donna
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby bignaf » Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:56 pm

this thread gives me an apetite.<BR>hey, bartender, a cup of human blood please. on the rocks.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby monkeymd2b » Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:16 am

OT, just to let you know, my fellow med students and I are being taught that we should try to reduce pain as much as possible but on a scale of 1-10, we can only realistically get our patients down to a 3...all things being relative of course. In other words, if you're in pain and you want to good stuff, lie and tell them you're at a 8 or a 9. And if they still deny you, ask for a new doctor. No one, besides those who are addicted to pain killers, should have to sit in pain because some evil doctor decides you've had enough pain relief. Of course certain drugs are better for certain types of pain (dull vs sharp, acute vs chronic, 1st pain vs 2nd pain). I could tell you more but I'm tired and tomorrow's Fat Tuesday and I plan on being drunk by 8 am. Need my rest.
Simple words to live by...

When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them on the head.
monkeymd2b
4th Chair

Postby owlice » Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:39 am

Is there an update on OT?
owlice
4th Chair

Postby dkm32 » Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:59 pm

I've been leaving the health updates to Jim being that he now has access to BBB. However, if there is no update by Monday, I'll try to get a hold of him. "Try" because he should be out of Mercy Hospital and cloistered :eek: in re-hab.
Donna
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby dkm32 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:30 pm

Jim is out of Mercy Hospital. And, after a bit of sleuthing, I have found where Jim is! He can run, but he can't hide. Actually, he probably can hide better than he can run!!! <P>I didn't know there were so many places named "Cloister..." in San Diego. I wasn't able to talk to him as he was out to the doctors and won't be back until this evening. Twixt today and tomorrow I will try and check with Jim himself. <P>In the mean time...<P>Cloisters Of Misson Hills<BR>3680 Reynard Way<BR>San Diego, CA<BR>phone: 619.297.4484
Donna
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby dkm32 » Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:15 pm

OT: Update<P>First the phone number directly to his room is 619.297.4286. Address of the Cloisters Of Mission Hills is the same as previous posting.<P>He says he is doing well. With his right shoulder being dislocated, right arm broken, left knee having surgery and the other leg banged up, he pretty much only has one arm to get around with. His pelvis feels pretty good after the surgery, but the physical therapy makes it very sore. His knee is very sore after the surgery. <P>He says as soon as he can, he'll be back to the bulletin boards. He just hasn't had the opportunity since moving.
Donna
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections