GLADIATOR

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: GLADIATOR

Postby JasonK » Tue Jan 02, 2001 4:44 pm

Ohh very true, who ever said being bad was a male trait alone? We have something here now that we can sink our proverbial teeth into...some of the most devious individuals are female...no offense intended to anyone, it is actually a subtle form of compliment.<BR>Dangerous Liasons, good, very good....how about Elizabeth...in both Shakespeare in Love and her name sake movie...would not want to cross her....asked if I am man or mouse...the mirror squeaked and away I ran.
JasonK
4th Chair

Postby Peter » Tue Jan 02, 2001 7:14 pm

dman & JasonK, thanks for what has turned into an hilarious thread. In no way connected with classical music, but extremely funny nevertheless. Guys, testosteronally-blessed you may be, but as a macho moral crusader myself, I must warn you that females possess an even deadlier hormone, designed to affect earthmen the way that Kryptonite affects Superman - oestrogen. It is their secret weapon. Underestimate it, & you may walk funny for the rest of your lives (ouch!) Image
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Wed Jan 03, 2001 11:25 am

Amen Peter!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby JasonK » Wed Jan 03, 2001 11:44 am

Well, I am back in the Secret Lair:<P>Peter,<P>There is some legitamite method to our madness, allow me to retort kind sir,<P>Thanks for the vote of confidence and I am glad you think it is funny. I am a huge advocate of laughter....yet I would like to point out that steriodial cinema often incorporates classical music into its' production. <P>Die Hard used Ode to Joy at a significant Climax.<P>Glory used Carmina Burana at its Crescendo.<P>The Lone Ranger's hallmark is the William Tell Overature.<P>Caddyshack used 1812 overture at its ending.<P>and I believe John Hughes films liberally used Handel's Hallelujeh whenever Anthony Michael Hall scored with either Kelly LeBrock or Molly Ringwald.....<P>This radio station often play sountracks from Gladiator, Braveheart and Star Wars.<P>All classical references enbedded in contemporary hits....so you see, we are taking the path less traveled here, but none the less true to the art form and keeping it in the family....albeit this conversation may be more akin to "Uncle Gus" in the family, you know the one, the guy who refers to the classics as "that stuff written by those guys in wigs"<P>
JasonK
4th Chair

Postby JasonK » Wed Jan 03, 2001 12:03 pm

Peter,<P>As to your warning concerning woman....where were you in my college days with that advice ohh sage? I could have used you then my friend. I know well the ire of women....she put me in my place well enough to not be able to move out of it for 4 years...and that was 2 years more than we went out!!! To my manly detriment, I have always been attracted to a "Benedict and Beatrice" relationship from Much Ado About Nothing. They have not lasted, but they have been fun!!! You have got to appreciate someone with wit enough to give as much as they can get.....woman, how so much like an angel in concept, how so devilish in practice...
JasonK
4th Chair

Postby JasonK » Wed Jan 03, 2001 3:16 pm

Getting back to the dastardly movies we so love...Dangerous Liaisons was pretty devious...men and women after my own heart!! Valmont was more calculating than an abacus.<P>Have you ever seen Cruel Intentions? It is a modern day DI. Sarah Michelle Gellar was a Glen Close for the shopping mall crowd..it is thinly vailed disguise, but none the less delicously intriguing...Sebastian in that movie is my hero.....male and female villians to please everyone!!! We can all find a sense of duplicity here at Beethoven. Is that not lovely?
JasonK
4th Chair

Postby Peter » Wed Jan 03, 2001 8:40 pm

JasonK, young man, had you sought my advice when you needed guidance, I should surely have given it, but I neither heard your prayers, nor saw your tears (plus, I can`t be EVERYwhere at once). Women are complex creatures to be sure; remember, they are not just for Christmas, they are for life. Mine is called Clare, and she DARETH to LAUGH at me whilst I WRITE!! "Silence, woman!" I should demand, but dare not lest she.....er.....hits me......it wouldn`t be the first time.......i probably deserve it.........sorry, dear.......(mumble).........<P>Ahem, even with my exceptional hearing, I cannot listen to American radio, being, as I am, some 3000 miles out of range, but the station linked with this site sounds groovy. One day, I should like to sample its wares!
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby JasonK » Thu Jan 04, 2001 9:49 am

Yeah, Clare, Silence, Woman!!!! Image I am learning from the sage here...Now tell me, oh wise sage, does Clare actually heed your admonishment? If she is like any of the woman I know in America, she is now laughing all the louder now!!! Harumphhh!!! How dare they mock our heartache at the hands of their wicked coven of sisters in romance ..... anyway, I will survive the slings and arrows of love Peter, and be obstinate and foolish enough to charge headlong into it once more, I am sure. At age 30, I have not given the female gender their last laugh yet...more to come...and most likely at my expense!!!!<P>Sorry to mention all those American movies, but I lost track that you were so very far away....however, steriodal cinema in the States liberally uses Classical music at vital points in film. Probably because no other genre stirs the soul quite as well.<P>Perhaps one day we can go to my favorite Pub, the Rose and Crown for a pint and discuss the virtues of steroidal film, the classics, life in the UK, and the art of women....Dman and Nicole and Stew, you guys, are more than invited to come along, however Nicole, you must promise not to laugh when we are extoll our philosphy on the female condition......In the end, I fear this may be one battle we can not win....Silence Clare!!! Fun saying that Image
JasonK
4th Chair

Postby Peter » Thu Jan 04, 2001 3:41 pm

I admonish Clare all the time, & she NEVER answers back, HA! (If only I were brave enough to do it when she`s in the same room as me) Image<P>That`s a corker, sunshine! Down the old Rose `n` Crown it is for a knees-up. Bring the trouble and strife. We`ll have half a best and a game of 301, then it`s up the apples and pears for a singalong on the joanna. Some of the geezers are a bit mutton jeff, but we`ll let `em know if anyone wants a barney. We don`t want someone getting on the dog, and calling plod! I don`t want to be in the nick, when I could be enjoying a ruby murray with that bird with the gorgeous boat, at home. Forget it, me old sparrow. That would put my goat up, and I`d be in a right two and eight. I mean, use your loaf.<P>Who said the Queen`s English is dead? Image
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby JasonK » Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:03 pm

Right....now govenor, how bout we catch Arsenal while we are at it....football is such good sport.
JasonK
4th Chair

Postby JasonK » Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:10 pm

Oh yeah, almost forgot....Silence Clare!!!!<P>hehehehe
JasonK
4th Chair

Postby dman » Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:58 pm

Jasonk, first you are speaking way over my head. You must have 3 or 4 doctorates. Your use of the English language ie remarkable, but it does make my head spin. Please tone it down for those of us who are not as verbose. You forget, Americans have short attention spans...what was I saying? Oh crap! My hamburger dripped ketchup on my keyboard...oh yeah, and then you get that UK lingo, and you completely lose me. My heads a marley. Witty reparte yes, but please consider your audience. <P>I give all homage and praise to JasonK. I have finally discovered someone who can use the English language correctly!
dman
5th Chair

Postby JasonK » Thu Jan 04, 2001 5:04 pm

Dman, <P>I think that homage rightfully belongs to Peter...he is just giving you a sample of the lingo in the UK, basically saying that he enjoys the conversation and wants to go out for a beer, so he can enlighten me on the ways of women.....one language, but two totally different ways of saying it.<P>I wish I could take credit, but the credit it Peter's. I have only master monosyllabic repartee.<P>Remember, this is steriodial cinema...home of stuff that bloweds up real good!!!!
JasonK
4th Chair

Postby JasonK » Thu Jan 04, 2001 5:06 pm

Peter is also asking us to play darts and go out for dinner....you guys game?
JasonK
4th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Jan 04, 2001 5:10 pm

If I can come to dinner with you guys, I'll even give the hidden secrets of women! But I do Merlot not beer...is that O.K.?
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby dman » Thu Jan 04, 2001 5:12 pm

Yeah, but it would be a long trip. We should probably play a game of basketball too just to see who is the biggest stud.
dman
5th Chair

Postby JasonK » Thu Jan 04, 2001 5:23 pm

Something tells me we are all equal opportunity drinkers here....and you definitely have to be in the mix, cuz regarding women, dare I say you are probably the only one with a clue...Men are the masters of all they see, I just can't see that far....so order gladly...Merlot is a fine choice...always been good to me....one wine California does well.....if you like Merlot, bet you are a Shiraz fan as well.
JasonK
4th Chair

Postby JasonK » Thu Jan 04, 2001 5:26 pm

Couldn't play Basketball if my life depended on it...3 left feet.....so guess you win dinner, my man, with Peter and Nicole in the UK, regards to Chelsea for me....
JasonK
4th Chair

Postby JasonK » Thu Jan 04, 2001 5:28 pm

ohhh forgot again!!!! <P>SILENCE CLARE!!!!<P>just takin one for the team Peter, her slap can't reach across the pond...hehehehe
JasonK
4th Chair

Postby Peter » Thu Jan 04, 2001 5:56 pm

Gulp!! Nicole Marie is offering to tell the hidden secrets of women. My mother always warned me: "Beware of women who offer you their hidden secrets." Image<P><BR>dMAN, basketball? HA! Over here, we play that, but we call it netball, and it`s very popular with the ladies, HA! No, to sort out the men from the boys, I suggest a game of cricket. It`s kind of like your baseball, only with finesse, HA! Just like our rugby is kind of like your football, but without the Dynasty shoulderpads, HA!<P>On a more serious note, I eat `Bullworkers` for breakfast. Is their enough iron in my diet? Image
Peter
3rd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes