Harry Potter SPOILERS

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Harry Potter SPOILERS

Postby EricMichaels » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:01 am

There's been a lot of great discussion here, so I won't add too much. I just want to say that I really enjoyed the book and I think it did a fine job setting up Book 7.

I think Snape isn't as evil as he seems, and that there's more to Dubmledore's death (real or not) than meets the eye.

Soon after the book's release, Entertainment Weekly did a nice two-page spread of speculation and analysis. They mentioned that while Harry and friends were cleaning out the Order's HQ in Book 5, they came across a locket that they couldn't open...

The waiting will drive me crazy. At least the Goblet of Fire movie looks awesome.
EricMichaels
4th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:06 am

Hey Eric!

How's life treating you these days?
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:30 am

Hi Eric!

I think D is dead, and Snape did it at D's previous request. D wanted to save Malfoy from 'going to the dark side' completely, for some reason.

I also think Harry's dad was something of a bully during his school days.

<small>[ 08-29-2005, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: piqaboo ]</small>
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:45 am

Hi Eric - what's up?

<Spoiler cover post>
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby EricMichaels » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:32 am

Hi OT and piq,

Life is good. Trying to keep busy. LOTS of corporate narration work, a couple of video games coming up in the next year, and those children's books should be out very soon (see the thread under Musical Notes).

...and patiently waiting for Book 7.
EricMichaels
4th Chair

Postby rynbaskets » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:52 pm

I have a lot to say here. I take it that most people who post here are adults. You have to remember this is supposed to be a children's book, even though the targets are older children. I just cannot accept children's books suggesting that someone who trusted another completely was betrayed and killed mercilessly. If this is what we are going to find out in the last installment, I am not sure if I could support HP series any more. Sorry people, I have become a lot more conservative after I became a mom.
That said, here are my interpretation.
1. Dumbledore is not dead. Somehow he and Snape agreed that this would happen. Remember they were seen by Hagrid arguing in the forest?
2. Do you think accomplished wizard like Dumbledore did not realize the locket was not real the minute he had it in his hand, when even Harry noticed it right away as soon as he picked it up? I agree with others that the locket at the Black house was THE Horcrux.
3. RAB is, I think, Regulus Black.
4. The time turners are all broken. I read it somewhere in the book. (Sorry I cannot remember where.)
5. I agree that Neville would probably finish or help finish Bellatrix.
6. The reason why Harry is safe at the Dursleys is that even though she is mean to Harry, Petunia is still a blood relative to Harry's mom who died to save him and somehow the magic of Love protects Harry while he is there as a child. It was explaind to Harry by Dumbledore in the book five. Remember, wizards become adults when they turn 17 and Harry's B-Day is July 31.
7. Dumbledore knew that the Defence Against Dark Arts teacher position was jinxed and no one can have it more than a year. (Explained in this book.) So why did he place Snape in this position? I think he had a plan.
8. I do not think Harry is one of the Horcruxes. Dumbledore assumes the snake, Nagini (?), is one of them and says it is not really a good idea to make a living creature as a Horcrux because living things must die one day. So Voldemort will not have another living Horcrux.

I am curious to see what others think of my theory.
rynbaskets
Section Player

Postby rynbaskets » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:06 pm

A few more things. I think Snape would die in the next book. I just think so. I think the Room of Requirement has one of the Horcruxes although I am not sure how Voldemort could sneak it into Hogwarts. That room had a lots of stuff people wanted to hide. And it is huge.
JK Rowlings never leaves small details untouched, like the way she used the broken cabinet that was mentioned in book five as a way to sneak into Hogwarts in this book. You really need to remember the small detail.
rynbaskets
Section Player

Postby piqaboo » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:19 pm

locket - I agree.
Children's books, betrayal, etc etc etc..... I am not so optimistic, but therewe have it.
pre-agreement between S& D, I agree, differing only in that D is really morte. Otherwise, why did his portrait show up in the headmasters office? S not a 'bad guy', just hates Harry's dad, who as noted before,seems to have been a bit of a bully in school. Q - why did D care so much about Draco, and keeping him soul-whole & safe?
Other statements - dang it, now I have to go back and read all the darn things!
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Andy Warton » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:37 pm

Originally posted by rynbaskets:
You have to remember this is supposed to be a children's book, even though the targets are older children. I just cannot accept children's books suggesting that someone who trusted another completely was betrayed and killed mercilessly.
Absolutely. :) I just don't think that J.K.Rowling would feel comfortable sending that message out there, making so many readers feel so let down.

If this is what we are going to find out in the last installment, I am not sure if I could support HP series any more.
You're well within your rights, and I kinda agree with you. :)

Dumbledore is not dead. Somehow he and Snape agreed that this would happen.

Right again! :)

Do you think accomplished wizard like Dumbledore did not realize the locket was not real the minute he had it in his hand, when even Harry noticed it right away as soon as he picked it up? I agree with others that the locket at the Black house was THE Horcrux.

Corrrrect! :)
I agree that Neville would probably finish or help finish Bellatrix.

Why do you say that?

I do not think Harry is one of the Horcruxes. Dumbledore assumes the snake, Nagini (?), is one of them and says it is not really a good idea to make a living creature as a Horcrux because living things must die one day. So Voldemort will not have another living Horcrux.
I think so too; I just think that would be too predictable.
Where your own intelligence fails, a god will inspire you.
- Athene, The Odyssey
Andy Warton
4th Chair

Postby rynbaskets » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:42 pm

Thanks, Andy. About Neville, I just wonder why JK keeps on having him battle the Death Eaters when he is not really good with hexing and jinxing. His heart is there, to avenge his poor parents, and somehow, I think she would have a place for him. No other particular reason. Just like I think Snape would die for no reason at all.
I am glad you think the same way as I do about this being a children's book.
rynbaskets
Section Player

Postby piqaboo » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:44 pm

Neville .... what class was it that he got talked into taking in this last book? The one his grandmother failed? I think he'll turn out to have a real strength that he simply hasnt grown into yet. Perhaps he's the one in the prophecy,and Harry has been a decoy all along! ;)
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby rynbaskets » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:52 pm

Neville was talked into taking Charms class by Prof. Flitwick. His real strength is Herbology.
rynbaskets
Section Player

Postby mmichaelson » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:01 pm

I think Neville will have a part in Bellatrix's downfall/death. It may be accidental, but JKR wouldn't have spent this much time showcasing Neville if there wasn't something else there.

Ditto for Ginny - she's spent a lot of time talking about how strong Ginny is magically. There is more there too.

BTW - Dumbledore's portrait has appeared, but has not yet 'come alive'
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby rynbaskets » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:15 pm

Dumbledore's portrait was in slumber. I am not really sure whether he is dead or alive. I hope he is alive but the headmaster's room was transferred to Prof. McGonagall (spell?) immediately. So I am not sure. I guess as strong as Dumbledore is, he could make it happen. Or if he resigns the position, the room would probably transfers to the next person.
rynbaskets
Section Player

Postby piqaboo » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:41 pm

I think Ginny is going to pair up with Harry in some crucial way. The magical "power of love" keeps getting emphasized, and Harry just renounced his truelove. That is not a state of affairs that will be left alone. First Fleur and Bill, then whatsername & the werewolf, etc.

I kept wondering... once Hermione and Harry knew they had the lovepotion chocolates from the other watsername, why didnt they give the chocs to someone of their own choosing, to embarrass heck out of both the someone and the youngfemale in question? I couldnt have resisted the temptation,personally. But to whom to give them........ <hmmmmmm>
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:14 am

Anyone going to see the movie today?

We have tickets for Sunday.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby treebeau » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:27 am

My (lately silent) amiga Saxy told me she has tickets for 7pm tonight.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Andy Warton » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:14 pm

It's my birthday today, so I'll probably be going to see it at some point in the next 72 hours.
Where your own intelligence fails, a god will inspire you.
- Athene, The Odyssey
Andy Warton
4th Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:18 pm

Happy Birthday!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Jane » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:35 pm

Ooooh, I got to see the new movie. I rather enjoyed it. I still like the books better overall. It's all the details that make them great. But I thought they did a good job considering all they had to cut out because of time constraints.
“This suspense is terrible. I hope it will last.” -O. Wilde
Jane
4th Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections