Projects

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Projects

Postby barfle » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:36 pm

Originally posted by the tenor's alto:
ps - i like the various titles. Most amusing
I try.

<small>[ 12-02-2005, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: barfle ]</small>
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:49 pm

Originally posted by barfle:
The ability to post new pictures is yet another project I have yet to complete. Where does the high-voiced man of the house post his from, and what does it take to get them there?
http://www.photobucket.com
It couldn't be easier.

<small>[ 12-05-2005, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: BigJon@Work ]</small>
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:08 pm

Hi Barfle,

I use 100 Megs Webhosting(it may be called something different these days, lik 200 Megs....). I pay for it, and it has all kinds of features for building a website. I checked out photobucket, and for posting photos only, it looks like a great way to go.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby barfle » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:24 pm

The new website with Verizon is up, although it has the wrong stuff on it (another long story).

I'll be taking some pictures and putting them up so I can illustrate my stories a bit better than with 26 letters, 10 digits and 30 punctuation marks. Hopefully this week, although it is one of them weeks where us federial wurkers gotta git sumpin' offn our desks.

Hate it when that happens. :(
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:30 pm

Referring back to
this post.

The miter sled is complete and it is an AWESOME thing to be able to replicate mitered pieces with no effort. All 80 pieces of sycamore and cherry have been cut and the frames have all been glued up.

I made the outer frames just a little small on purpose so that the inner frames can be shaved down to a perfect fit. I thought that would be easier than trying to cut the outer frames to an exact fit. One or two light passes through an edge joiner and the fit should be just right.

All that's left is cleaning up the glued joints, sanding, staining, finishing, and assembly of the frames, glass, and backing. I'm in a good place to be finished before the big day.

Since I am far ahead I decided to make some wine cork trivets out of some short pieces of wood (chance to use my mitering sled some more :) ) Made enough for six trivets in a remarkably short time and FIVE of them have been glued up already.

Awesome fun in the workshop!!

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:15 pm

Lessee, current list of projects:

· Add a shelf in walk-in storage closet and close off end of shelves so expensive stuff isn’t falling off and the shelves don’t catch your head as you walk in. Add media storage racks.

· Add a shelf to top of existing garage shelves and turn shelf unit 90 degrees to make room for new shelf/workbench. Build shelf/workbench.

· Rip out the 2 shelves in garage cubby and replace with 3 shelves that are deeper. Also construct bins to hold sports equipment and toys.

· Replace shelves in pantry with sturdier and deeper shelves. Add light in pantry that goes on when door opens.

· Add shelves in nursery closet to use currently wasted space over stairway for storing baby stuff.

· Build second slotcar table with shelves underneath to store slotcar stuff that is currently clogging up other basement shelves. Finish slotcar layout.

· Redo walk-in closet in master bedroom with all new shelving.

Anyone notice a theme here?

<small>[ 12-06-2005, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: BigJon@Work ]</small>
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:35 pm

Link to Christmas gift projects blog.

Don't tell anyone. If my friends see them it will spoil the surprise.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:39 pm

BigJon,

I was beginning to make a smart aleck comment until I saw your last line ("Anyone notice a theme here?").

Aw, what the heck. You win the award for EVERY project on your list having to do with SHELVES !!

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:50 pm

My project right now is getting all the crap ready for a Christmas trip to California, but in the laundry room, all I have to do is get a counter top, mount the sink in it, hook up the sink, finish the cabinet doors, get my wife to paint them, mount them, and mount a clothes hanger bar.

There's another saga to be told regarding the counter top.

Once the laundry room is done, I'll be closing off the back end of the basement family room to make an electronics shop, which will include building a wall with a pocket door, a lot of cat5 wiring, RG6 wiring, 110VAC wiring, moving a furnace vent, tearing out a closet door, building computer shelves and other storage shelves, tiling the floor (asphalt, not ceramic), lighting, and probably a few other tasks I haven't bothered planning yet. The closet door I'll be tearing out is in the picture in the message describing the soffit, and the wall will be perpendicular to the wall with the door and stairs in the picture.

Then, I will finish the rest of the family room (shown in the picture I mentioned), making it into a library with floor-to-ceiling bookshelves, changing the last step on the stairs into a landing (which also means modifying the bannister), decent reading lights, wiring the existing shelves for my decorative light collection, paint and carpet.

Then I get to work on my theater, which will include a lot of conduit for signal wiring, a dedicated power line, soundproofing the walls that are adjacent to other rooms including the ceiling, moving a furnace vent, building a riser for the back row of seating (it's just a love seat), and construction of equipment shelves.

Then I'll be building a linen closet in the extra bedroom, which is quite large, moving the wall between it and the hallway into the room about 18", finishing the walls, and building shelves and doors.

In the meantime, I'm sure we'll be tearing out a deck and filling in a lot of dirt so we can put in a patio (why people here have wooden decks that require annual maintenance is beyond me - they have weather here) instead, lots of pathway construction and lighting.

I will be hiring someone to convert a window in the dining room to french doors, build a deck outside there, replace the roof, install gutter shields, and replace the siding and windows. I figure it'll come out to around $100,000 by the time we're done with the outside.

I guess I'll sleep when I'm dead. :roll:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:03 pm

barfle,

That sounds like too much to have done before Christmas. :)

And you have enough "shelf tasks" to make BigJon drool. ;)

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:20 pm

originally posted by treebeau:
The miter sled is complete and it is an AWESOME thing to be able to replicate mitered pieces with no effort
Ooooh! Goosebumps!

The shelves in our house were made of cheap particle board. They sagged under a 6-place setting of china. We have considerably more than that. OT re-inforced them, and similarly feeble closet shelves, so that they support a serious load these days. Next shelving projects:
corner shelves in Altoid's room & remove ridiculous shelving from one bathroom, replace with a far-more-functional cupboard left behind by last owner. Find place (oh god) to store ridiculous shelving, for some future purpose (like restoring the closet, presale).
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:27 pm

More pictures on
this blog
tonight.

Regards,
Tim B.

P.S. Am I the only one around her that ISN'T working on some kind of shelving??

<small>[ 12-07-2005, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: treebeau ]</small>
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:40 pm

My wife reminded me of two more shelving projects.

The boys need shelves in their room to hold their trophies and the like.

Most important of all, my home office need shelves to store all the computer supplies and stuff related to my business.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:03 pm

Make CABINETS my man!!
Particularly for trophies (aka dust collectors). Easier to dust the top of a cabinet than each individual trophy.

And computer supplies look so good when they are BEHIND a cabinet door. :)

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:05 pm

Originally posted by treebeau:
P.S. Am I the only one around her that ISN'T working on some kind of shelving??
I'm not. I'm planning to buy another bookcase at Ikea, though. :D

I need to replace the computer desk, too.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:29 pm

A bookcase is just shelves with ends.
:)
Aaaagh!!

Regards,
Tim B.

Just teasing.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:00 pm

[pat myself on the back] Re the shelf reinforcement Piq referred to. I chamfered strips of 1X2 maple, countersunk, drilled and screwed them in pairs to the bottoms of the shelves as gussets. The cupboard shelves don't even sag now, and Ihave the shelves considerably loaded. [/pat myself on the back]

I keep a weather eye on the shelf hangers now, however......

:eek:
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby barfle » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:36 pm

I guess this is another shelf project. We have a shelf that fastens to the window sill for our cats to rest on and look out the window. It's a plastic platform with plastic legs, a convoluted foam pad, and a synthetic sheepskin cover.

I don't believe our cats are anywhere near as large as monkeydoc's, but they broke out a lattice framework in the shelf that was part of the platform of the shelf. That made the foam and cover not only sag, but actually fall through the hole.

We tried buying a different shelf, but it was about as bad a design for our windowsills as I've ever seen. The legs would either require the shelf to protrude six inches into the window, or they could be set so the shelf would miss the sill completely.

So I decided to try a repair project. The shelf itself looks like ABS plastic, so it's easy to work. I drilled holes in the edge of the area where the lattice was broken out, then strung nylon cord in a criss-cross pattern across the hole left by the broken lattice. One nice thing about nylon cord is that it's wax coated, so the wax helps make sure the knots don't come untied.

So we have a nice new scrap shelf that cost us about $25, and a decent old shelf that I fixed for two bits worth of materials and a half an hour of labor.

Yah, yah, you want pictures. :mad:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:45 pm

:D :D I had that shelf! The broken-out cat shelf! When my fine fuzzy cats broke out the platform, I broke out the rest of the honeycomb stuff, made a cotton fabric "trampoline", put belt grommets around the hemmed edges of the tramp, and laced it on with buttonhole cord!

Guess there's more than one way to re-skin a cat shelf!
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:10 pm

"more than one way to re-skin a cat shelf!"
Selma, LOL!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections