Happiness :)

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Happiness :)

Postby lliam » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:43 am

I thought, instead of posting my happiness sayings at the bottom of my, today in history, why not start a thread on an, A-Z of happiness adages.
Here goes. First letter A :)

"Happiness is a positive cash flow." ~ Fred Adler

"True happiness arises, in the first place, from the enjoyment of one's self, and in the next, from the friendship and conversation of a few select companions." ." ~ Joseph Addison 1672-1719

"True happiness is of a retired nature, an enemy to pomp and noise." ~ Joseph Addison

"Friendship improves happiness, and abates misery, by doubling our joys, and dividing our grief." ~ Joseph Addison

"Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for." ." ~ Joseph Addison

"Cheerfulness keeps up a kind of daylight in the mind, and fills it with a steady and perpetual serenity." ~ Joseph Addison

"Happiness, it is said, is seldom found by those who seek it, and never by those who seek it for themselves." ~ F. Emerson Andrews

"The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts: therefore, guard accordingly, and take care that you entertain no notions unsuitable to virtue and reasonable nature." ~ Marcus Aurelius

"A man's life is what his thoughts make of it." ~ Marcus Aurelius

"To live happily is an inward power of the soul." ~ Marcus Aurelius

"No man is happy who does not think himself so." ~ Marcus Aurelius

"I don't really care how I am remembered as long as I bring happiness and joy to people." ~ Eddie Albert (in Success Secrets of Super Achievers by Stovall)

"Only when a man's life comes to its end in prosperity dare we pronounce him happy." ~ Aeschylus

"The really happy man never laughs -- seldom -- though he may smile. He does not need to laugh, for laughter, like weeping is a relief of mental tension -- and the happy are not over strung." ~ Prof. F. A. P. Aveling

"Happiness depends upon ourselves." ~ Aristotle

"Happiness is a sort of action." ~ Aristotle

"Happiness is an expression of the soul in considered actions." ~ Aristotle

"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence." ~ Aristotle

"Different men seek after happiness in different ways and by different means, and so make for themselves different modes of life and forms of government." ~ Arisotle

"Indeed, man wishes to be happy even when he so lives as to make happiness impossible." ~ St Augustine

"Why not seize the pleasure at once? How often is happiness destroyed by preparation. Foolish preparation?" ~ Jane Austen

"Most people would rather be certain they're miserable, than risk being happy." ~ Robert Anthony
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Re: Happiness :)

Postby lliam » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:35 am

B

"Happiness often sneaks through a door you didn't know you left open." ~ John Barrymore

"What are the three words a man can say to a woman to make her happy? "I was wrong!" ~ Lana Banana

"We find greatest joy, not in getting, but in expressing what we are...Men do not really live for honours or for pay; their gladness is not the taking and holding, but in doing, the striving, the building, the living. It is a higher joy to teach than to be taught. It is good to get justice, but better to do it; fun to have things but more to make them. The happy man is he who lives the life of love, not for the honours it may bring, but for the life itself." ~ R.J. Baughan

"The sun does not shine for a few trees and flowers, but for the wide world's joy." ~ Henry Ward Beecher

"So much sadness exists in the world that we are all under obligation to contribute as much joy as lies within our powers." ~ John Sutherland Bonnell

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner." ~ Tallulah Bankhead

"The secret of happiness is something to do." ~ John Burroughs

"Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more." ~ H. Jackson Brown (Life's Little Instruction Calendar, 1999)

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day to day basis." ~ Margaret Bonnano

"Growth itself contains the germ of happiness." ~ Pearl S. Buck

"Everyday happiness means getting up in the morning, and you can't wait to finish your breakfast. You can't wait to do your exercises. You can't wait to put on your clothes. You can't wait to get out--and you can't wait to come home, because the soup is hot." ~ George Burns

"There is no cosmetic for beauty like happiness." ~ Countess of Blessington

"True love is eternal, infinite, and always like itself. It is equal and pure, without violent demonstrations: it is seen with white hairs and is always young in the heart." ~ Balzac (1799-1850)

"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice." ~ W.J. Bryan

"To live a pure unselfish life, one must count nothing as one's own in the midst of abundance." ~ Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha)

Suppression of Desire leads to extinction of suffering. ~ Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha)

"The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart." ~ Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha), from The Dhammapada

"To be able to find joy in another's joy, that is the secret of happiness." ~ George Bernanos

"Happiness includes chiefly the idea of satisfaction after full honest effort. No one can possibly be satisfied and no one can be happy who feels that in some paramount affairs he failed to take up the challenge of life." ~ Arnold Bennett

"Happiness is the real sense of fulfillment that comes from hard work." ~ Joseph Barbara (in Success Secrets of Super Achievers by Stovall)

"Laughter is the shortest distance between two people." ~ Victor Borge

"Nobody ever died of laughter." ~ Max Beerbohm

"Happiness is a conscious choice, not an automatic response." ~ Mildred Barthel

"When one is happy there is no time to be fatigued; being happy engrosses the whole attention." ~ Edward Frederic Benson

"The world's literature and folklore are full of stories that point out how futile it can be to seek happiness. Rather, happiness is a blessing that comes to you as you go along; a treasure that you incidentally find." ~ Louis Binstock

"It is the paradox of life that the way to miss pleasure is to seek it first. The very first condition of lasting happiness is that a life should be full of purpose, aiming at something outside self." ~ Hugo Black

"The truth is that all of us attain the greatest success and happiness possible in this life whenever we use our native capacities to their greatest extent." ~ Smiley Blanton
"They say a person needs just three things to be truly happy in this world. Someone to love, something to do, and something to hope for." ~ Tom Bodett

"We all want to be happy, and we're all going to die. You might say those are the only two unchallengeably true facts that apply to every human being on this planet." ~ William Boyd
"Celebrate the happiness that friends are always giving, make every day a holiday and celebrate just living!" ~ Amanda Bradley

"Happiness comes more from loving than being loved; and often when our affection seems wounded it is only our vanity bleeding. To love, and to be hurt often, and to love again -- this is the brave and happy life." ~ J.E Buckrose

"Happiness and virtue rest upon each other; the best are not only the happiest, but the happiest are usually the best." ~ Edward G. Bulwer-Lytton

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city. "~ George Burns

"All animals except man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it." ~ Samuel Butler

"To have joy one must share it. Happiness was born a twin." ~ Lord Byron

"Joy has nothing to do with material things, or with man's outward circumstance...A man living in the lap of luxury can be wretched, and a man in the depths of poverty can overflow with joy." ~ William Barclay

"He who binds to himself a joy
Does the winged life destroy;
But he who kisses the joy as it files
Lives in eternity's sun rise". ~ William Blake

"He who binds to himself a joy Does the winged life destroy; But he who kisses the joy as it files Lives in eternity's sun rise." ~ William Blake
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:43 am

When you get to D for dickens, don't forget Mr. McCawber, I think it was.

"Annual income 20 shillings, annual expenditure 20/6; result, misery.

Annual income 20 shillings, annual expenditure 19/6; result, happiness."

Fancy being able to live on $2 a year! And be "passing rich on £40 a year". Ain't inflation wonderful?
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby lliam » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:59 am

:) Ok DB, something will turn up. ;)

I've always loved Charles Dickens.
Did you know that David Copperfield was in fact Dickens's own life story? He changed his intials around from CD to DC.

BBC did, 'Bleak House' recently and boy was it a big hit with viewers.

Maybe you should open a thread about Charles Dickens DB. ;)
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:09 am

C

"You find yourself refreshed in the presence of cheerful people. Why not make an honest effort to confer that pleasure on others? Half the battle is gained if you never allow yourself to say anything gloomy." ~ Lydia M. Child.

"Happiness begins when one decides not to be something, but to be someone." ~ Coco Chanel

"The only truly happy people are children and the creative minority." ~ Jean Caldwell

"That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great." ~ Willa Sibert Cather

"There is this difference between happiness and wisdom, that he that thinks himself the happiest man really is so; but He that thinks himself the wisest is generally the greatest fool." ~ Charles Caleb Colton (1780-1832).

"Happiness, that grand mistress of the ceremonies in the dance of life, impels us through all its mazes and meanderings, but leads none of us by the same route." ~ Charles Caleb Colton

"The happiness of life is made up of minute fractions--the little, soon-forgotten charities of a kiss or smile, a kind look or heartfelt compliment" ~ Samuel Taylor Coleridge

"The happiness of life is made up of minute fractions - the little,soon forgotten charities of a kiss or smile, a kink look, a heart-felt compliment, and the countless infinitesimals of pleasurable and genial feeling." ~ Samuel Taylor Coleridge

"To know what you know and to know what you don't know is knowledge" ~ Confucius

"Find a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life." ~ Confucius

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." ~ Confucius

"I don't like work--no man does--but I like what is in work--the chance to find yourself." ~ Joseph Conrad

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast-you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." ~ Eddie Cantor

"To be without some of the things you want is an indispensible part of happiness." - Bertrand Russell

"The more refined one is, the more unhappy." ~ Anton Chekhov

"If you follow your bliss, you put yourself on a kind of track, which has been there all the while waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living." ~ Joseph Campbell

"What we are seeking is an experience of being alive, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive." ~ Joseph Campbell

"When you have once seen the glow of happiness on the face of a beloved person, you know that a man can have no vocation but to awaken that light on the faces surrounding him; and you are torn by the thought of the unhappiness and night you cast, by the mere fact of living, in the hearts you encounter." ~ Albert Camus

"You are forgiven for your happiness and your successes only if you generously consent to share them." ~ Albert Camus

"But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man and the life he leads?" ~ Albert Camus

"Friendship improves happiness and abates misery, by the doubling of our joy and the dividing of our grief. ~ Cicero (B.C. 106-43)

"Little deeds of kindness, little words or love, help to make Earth happy." ~ Julia Carney

"Did you ever see an unhappy horse? Did you ever see a bird that had the blues? One reason why birds and horses are not unhappy is because they are not trying to impress other birds and horses." ~ Dale Carnegie

"In order to have great happiness, you have to have great pain and unhappiness-otherwise how would you know when you're happy?" ~ Leslie Caron

"What is given by the gods more desirable than a happy hour?" ~ Catullus

"Be slow of tongue and quick of eye." ~ Cervantes (1547-1616)

"The most wasted day of all is that during which we have not laughed." ~ Sebastian R. N. Chamfort

"Happiness is not easily won; it is hard to find it in ourselves, and impossible to find it elsewhere. ~ Chamfort

"Perfect happiness is the absence of happiness." ~ Chuang Tzu

"The creed of a true saint is to make the best of life, and to make the most of it." ~ Edwin Hubbel Chapin

"Happiness is a continuation of happenings which are not resisted." ~ Deepak Chopra

"We think a happy life consists in tranquility of mind" ~ Marcus T. Cicero

"Happiness is a hard thing because it is achieved only by making others happy." ~ Stuart Cloete

"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." ~ Colette

"I find we are growing serious, and then we are in great danger of being dull." ~ William Congreve

"Happiness depends, as nature shows, Less on exterior things than most suppose."
William Cowper
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:11 am

Just 4 u DB. ;)

Charles Dickens(1812 -1870)

It is good to be children sometimes, and never better than at Christmas, when its mighty Founder was a child Himself. Charles Dickens

The one great principle of the English law is, to make business for itself. --Charles Dickens _Bleak House_ (1853)

Our affections, however laudable, in this transitory world, should never master us; we should guide them, guide them. --Charles Dickens ,_The Mystery of Edwin Drood, Chapter 2_.

Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some --Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other."--Charles Dickens

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; It is a far, far better rest that I go to , than I have ever known.
Charles Dickens. A Tale of Two Cities

Their demeanour is invariably morose, sullen, clownish and repulsive. I should think there is not, on the face of the earth, a people so entirely destitute of humour, vivacity, or the capacity for enjoyment. -- Charles Dickens (about Americans)

Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race! -- Charles Dickens

I think it's liquid aggravation that circulates through his veins, and not regular blood. . . . -- Charles Dickens, in Martin Chuzzlewit

We forge the chains we wear in life. --Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

They are so filthy and bestial that no honest man would admit one into his house for a water-closet doormat. ~ Charles Dickens (on American newspapers)

'When I am dead and my body is opened,' she said to those around her, 'ye shall find CALAIS written on my heart'. I should have thought, if anything were written on it, they would have found the words JANE GREY, HOOPER, ROGERS, RIDLEY, LATIMER, CRANMER, AND THREE HUNDRED PEOPLE BURNT ALIVE WITHIN FOUR YEARS OF MY WICKED REIGN, INCLUDING SIXTY WOMEN AND FORTY LITTLE CHILDREN. But it is enough that their deaths were written in Heaven. -- Charles Dickens, _A Child's History of England_ on Queen Mary I of England
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:04 pm

D
-

"Happiness is a journey, not a destination; happiness is to be found along the way not at the end of the road, for then the journey is over and it's too late. The time for happiness is today not tomorrow." ~ Paul H Dunn

"Happiness is in knowing and completely understanding the gospel of Jesus Christ." ~ Paul H Dunn

"Simply put, you believer that things or people make you unhappy, but this is not accurate. You make yourself unhappy." ~ Wayne Dyer

"If a man is happy in America, it is considered he is doing something wrong" ~ Clarence Darrow

"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes." ~ Hugh Downs

"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes." ~ Hugh Downs

"The happiest life, seen in perspective, can hardly be better than a stringing together of odd little moments." ~ Norman Douglas

"Fun has a sacred dimension." ~ Adriana Diaz

"Happy the man, and happy he alone, he, who can call today his own." ~ John Dryden

"Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action." ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Reflect on your present blessings, of which every man has many; not on your past misfortunes, of Which all men have some.
Charles Dickens

"Before you talk about what you want - Really appreciate what you have before it's gone." ~ Ethan Daniel

"Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action." ~ Benjamin Disraeli

"Happiness is like those palaces in fairy tales whose gates are guarded by dragons: we must fight in order to conquer it." ~ Alexandre Dumas

"Happiness is always a by-product. It is probably a matter of temperament, and for anything I know it may be glandular. But it is not something that can be demanded from life, and if you are not happy you had better stop worrying about it and see what treasures you can pluck from your own brand of unhappiness." ~ Robertson Davies
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:32 pm

"The one great principle of the (country's) law is, to make business for itself. --Charles Dickens _Bleak House_ (1853)"

Plus ça change.....
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:09 am

Originally posted by dai bread:
"The one great principle of the (country's) law is, to make business for itself. --Charles Dickens _Bleak House_ (1853)"

Plus ça change.....
Parkinson paraphrased the same principle as the basis for his Law governing all kinds of bureaucracies.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:16 am

E
-

"Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

"A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature." ~ Emerson

"It is one of the beautiful compensations of life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Happiness is perfume you can't pour on others without getting a few drops for yourself." ~ Emerson

"To fill the hour-that is happiness." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Happiness is the ability to enjoy the passage of time." ~ A. Einstein

"Happiness is spiritual, born of Truth and Love. It is unselfish; therefore it cannot exist alone, but requires all mankind to share it." ~ Mary Baker Eddy

"Happiness is the realization of God in the heart. Happiness is the result of praise and thanksgiving, of faith, of acceptance; a quiet tranquil realization of the love of God." ~ White Eagle

"It is the chiefest point of happiness that a man is willing to be what he is." ~ Desiderius Erasmus

"Make yourself a blessing to someone. Your kind smile or pat on the back just might pull someone back from the edge." ~ Carmelia Elliot

"Whoever does not regard what he has as most ample wealth, is unhappy, though he be master of the world." ~ Epictetus

"There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will." ~ Epictetus

"If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires." ~ Epicurus

"Happiness is man's greatest aim in life. Tranquility and rationality are the cornerstones of happiness" ~ Epicurus

Of mortals there is no one who is happy. If wealth flows in upon one, one may be perhaps Luckier than one's neighbour, but still not happy. ~ Euripedes

"Farms and in castles, in homes, studies, and cloisters -- where sensible people manage to live relatively lusty and decent lives, as moral as they must be, as free as they may be, and as masterly as they can be. If we only knew it, this elusive arrangement is happiness." ~ Erik H. Erikson

"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choice." ~ George Eliot, Daniel Deronda
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:38 pm

F
-

"A great obstacle to happiness is to expect too much happiness." ~ Fontenelle (1657-1757).

"Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length" ~ Robert Frost

"I really think happiness is very closely aligned with success, and may almost be an interchangeable synonym. Happiness (like success) also comes from doing what we feel called to do in life; however, it's also obvious no one can experience one without the other." ~ Donna Fargo

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy." ~ Anne Frank

"Enjoy your happiness while you have it, and while, you have it do not too closely scrutinize its foundation." ~ Joseph Farrall

"Some of us might find happiness if we quit struggling so desperately for it." ~ William Feather

"A great obstacle to happiness is to expect too much happiness." ~ Bernard Le Bovier Fontenelle

"Being happy is something you have to learn. I often surprise myself by saying "Wow, this is it. I guess I'm happy. I got a home I love. A career that I love. I'm even feeling more and more at peace with myself." If there's something else to happiness, let me know. I'm ambitious for that, too." ~ Harrison Ford

"Happy were men if they but understood There is no safety but in doing good." ~ John Fountain.

"There are two ways of being happy: We must either diminish our wants or augment our means -- either may do -- the result is the same and it is for each man to decide for himself and to do that which happens to be easier." ~ Benjamin Franklin

"The U.S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it, you have to catch up with it yourself." ~ Ben Franklin

"The discontented man finds no easy chair." ~ Benjamin Franklin

"What we call happiness in the strictest sense comes from the (preferably sudden) satisfaction of needs which have been dammed up to a high degree." ~ Freud

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy." Thomas Fuller

"A person is never happy except at the price of some ignorance." ~ Anatole France

"Start off every day with a smile and get it over with." ~ W.C. Fields
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:06 am

G
-
Do not say, "I follow the one true path of the Spirit," but rather, "I have found the Spirit walking on my path," for the Spirit walks on all paths." ~ Khalil Gibran (1883-1931)

"When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy. When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight." ~ Kahlil Gibran

"We choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them." ~ Kahlil Gibran

"Sadness is but a wall between two gardens" ~ Kahlil Gibran

"True happiness involves the full use of one's power and talents." ~ John W. Gardner

"Happiness consists in activity. It is a running steam, not a stagnant pool." ~ John Mason Good

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." ~ Gandhi

"Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get." ~ Dave Gardner

"To attain happiness in another world we need only to believe something, while to secure it in this world we must do something." ~ C.P. Gilman

"The hardest habit of all to break is the terrible habit of happiness." ~ Theodosia Garrison

"Do you want my one-word secret of happiness -- It's growth -- mental, financial, you name it." ~ Harold S. Geneen

"Nothing is more fatal to happiness than the remembrance of happiness." ~ Andre Gide

"There's a hope for every woe, and a balm for every pain, but the first joys of our heart come never back again!" ~ Robert Gilfillan

"Happiness... is not a destination: it is a manner of traveling. Happiness is not an end in itself. It is a by-product of working, playing, loving and living." ~ Haim Ginott

"A person is never happy till their vague strivings has itself marked out its proper limitations." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"What makes people happy is activity; changing evil itself into good by power, working in a God like manner." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The highest happiness of man ... is to have probed what is knowable and quietly to revere what is unknowable." ~ Goethe

"If frugality were established in the state, and if our expenses were laid out to meet needs rather than superfluities of life, there might be fewer wants, and even fewer pleasures, but infinitely more happiness." ~ Oliver Goldsmith

"Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination." ~ Roy Goodman

"Happiness... she loves, to see men at work. She loves sweat, weariness, self sacrifice. She will be found not in places but lurking in cornfields and factories; and hovering over littered desks; she crowns the unconscious head of the busy child." ~ David Grayson

"Point me out the happy man and I will point you out either egotism, selfishness, evil --or else an absolute ignorance." ~ Graham Greene
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:34 am

H
-

"If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work." ~Thich Nhat Hanh

"Happiness in this world, when it comes, comes incidentally. Make it the object of pursuit, and it leads to a wild-goose chase, and is never attained. Follow some other object, and very possibly we may find that we have caught happiness without dreaming of it." ~ Nathaniel Hawthorne

"Happiness is as a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but which if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you." ~ Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-1864).

"If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us." ~ Hermann Hesse (1877-1962)

"Happiness is a how; not a what. A talent, not an object." ~ Hermann Hesse

"Happy the man, and happy he alone, He who can call today his own; He who secure within can say: Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today." ~ Horace

"You traverse the world in search of happiness, which is within the reach of every man. A contented mind confers it on all." ~ Horace

"Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know." ~ Ernest Hemingway

"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." ~ B. R. Hayden

"Happiness held is the seed; Happiness shared is the flower- Unknown

People need your love the most when they appear to deserve it the least." ~ John Harrigan

"Look up, laugh loud, talk big, keep the colour in your cheek and the fire in your eye, adorn your person, maintain your health, your beauty and your animal spirits." ~ William Hazlitt

"The search for happiness is one of the chief sources of unhappiness." ~ Eric Hoffer

"Happiness requires problems…" ~ L. Hollingworth

"Happiness in the present is only shattered by comparison with the past." ~ Doug Horton

"You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

"Often the greatest enemy of present happiness is past happiness too well remembered." ~ Oscar Hammling

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved." ~ Victor Hugo

"I can sympathise with people's pains, but not with their pleasures. There is something curiously boring about somebody else's happiness." ~ Aldous Huxley

"The great end of life is not knowledge but action." ~ Thomas Henry Huxley

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life." ~ Burton Hills

"It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed." ~ Kin Hubbard

"Happiness is intimately bound up with purpose, and purpose is a profound committment to a compelling expectation for the time of your life." ~ Frederic Hundson & Pamela McLean
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby DavidS » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:02 am

"Happy are they who live in Thy house..." (Psalms 84)
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:05 am

Originally posted by DavidS:
"Happy are they who live in Thy house..." (Psalms 84)
;) Blessed are they that dwell in thy house:
they will be still praising thee. (Psalm 84)

:confused:
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby DavidS » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:52 am

"Ashrei"...absolutely!
How do we get the rest of humanity into the same mindset?
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:29 pm

"Happy" is probably a more literal translation...
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:30 am

I found a link to a site with about 35 different translations of the Bible, from King James to the most contemporary - you pays your money and takes your choice.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:14 am

I
-

My creed is that: Happiness is the only good. The place to he happy is here. The time to be happy is now. The way to be happy is to make others so. ~ Robert Ingersoll

"Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

Happiness is not a reward -- it is a consequence. Suffering is not a punishment -- it is a result." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

"The happy people are those who are producing something; the bored people are those who are consuming much and producing nothing." ~ William Ralph Inge

"The happiest people seem to be those who have no particular reason for being so except that they are so." ~ William Ralph Inge
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby DavidS » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:07 am

Originally posted by lliam:
IThe way to be happy is to make others so. ~ Robert Ingersoll

"Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll
How right - "Do as thou would be done by!"
"Love thy neighbour as thyself!"
What more do we need for a good life?
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Next

Return to Culture Connections