How good is Nicole Marie? QUIZ

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

How good is Nicole Marie? QUIZ

Postby Per-CONcussion » Thu Feb 08, 2001 4:25 pm

Nicole, John Philip Sousa is known as the "March King." In what year did his work "The Stars and Stripes Forever" become the official march of the United States?
Long live the mighty triangle!
Per-CONcussion
5th Chair

Re: How good is Nicole Marie? QUIZ

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Feb 09, 2001 3:37 pm

1897: John Philip Sousa's march "The Stars and Stripes Forever" premiered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The occasion was the unveiling of a statue of George Washington. In 1985, a bill was introduced in Congress to make "The Stars and Stripes Forever" the official national march of the US. The last piece played by Sousa before his death was "The Stars and Stripes Forever"
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Per-CONcussion » Fri Feb 09, 2001 3:48 pm

..and was passed into law by Ronald Reagan in 1987! Very good Nicole. Perhaps that question was too easy???<P>Good luck on this one:<BR>A certain composer was very suspicious about the number 13, especially since he was born on the 13th of the month. When a title of one of his operas was discovered to have 13 letters, he changed the spelling of one of the words so that it wouldn't! In fact, this composer died on July 13, 1951. What was his name?
Per-CONcussion
5th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Feb 09, 2001 5:35 pm

In 1874, the composer Arnold Schoenberg, a triskaidekaphobe (one who fears the number 13), was born - on Sept. 13. He died in 1951 - on Friday, July 13. In 1923 he began work on his new opera, Moses und Aron. At first the piece was called Moses und Aaron, but due to his fear of the number thirteen, he quickly cut the second 'a' from the title. <P>Take that!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Fri Feb 09, 2001 11:48 pm

Great questions, PerCONcussion. Great answers, Nicole Marie. I have a VERY TOUGH one. I only wish the answer led to a worthwhile work or composer, but this is trivia at its most trivial. What is the first work that can be said to have been written for the United States? HINT: the colonies became the "United States" when the 9th state ratified the constitution.<BR>Apologetically, Shos.
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Per-CONcussion » Mon Feb 12, 2001 9:19 am

Hmmmm, very good Nicole. I am beginning to think Classical Music is too easy for you and I should start asking questions about Genetics or... hockey! Ha ha ha. Since it is Monday, I will give you an easy one:<P>The Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1 is the music we often hear during graduations. How many marches are in this set? <P>My regards!
Per-CONcussion
5th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon Feb 12, 2001 9:55 am

Hi Shos-<P>I had a little help. Had to ask a friend and between the two of us this is what the answer is. I must confess that US composers are not my strong suit. But...<P>New Hampshire was the 9th state and the ratification took place in 1788. I researched for compositions specific to celebrating the Constitution, but found nothing. The earliest composition that I could find that was "for" the United States was "Star Spangled Banner." I also found nothing as it pertains to New Hampshire. However, I think Shos wanted "in or by a citizen of" the United States. If this logic holds, here is the answer. <P>"The first native-born American composer of secular music was Francis Hopkinson (1737-91), whose Seven Songs for the Harpsichord or Forte Piano (1788) is the first such publication of American music." <P>
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon Feb 12, 2001 9:56 am

Hi Per-<P>Well this is easy! There are five marches! <BR>No 1 in D Major <BR>No 2 in A Minor <BR>No 3 in C Minor <BR>No 4 in G Major <BR>No 5 in C Major <P>Any good high school graduate knows that! <P>
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Per-CONcussion » Mon Feb 12, 2001 10:38 am

RUB IT IN! I thought I would be easy on you since it is Monday. Therefore I want to give you another one for today:<P>What are the Valkyries, and how many of them are there? <P>(This one is for the sports car!)
Per-CONcussion
5th Chair

Postby Sir Stewart » Mon Feb 12, 2001 1:23 pm

Hand over the keys! Here it is!<P>From Scandinavian Mythology there's<BR>3-16, depending upon your source. I found a few different ones. <P>The Valkyries, were warrior maidens who attended Odin, ruler of the gods. <P>Love it Per! Keep it coming!<P><BR>
Sir Stewart
4th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon Feb 12, 2001 1:26 pm

Sorry that's me up there. I logged on under Sir Stewarts computer and got his name. It's really me!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Per-CONcussion » Mon Feb 12, 2001 1:30 pm

Sorry, Nicole. You better try again before I hand over the keys. As a general definition, you are correct. HOWEVER, I am applying the question as it pertains to the meaning of the piece: Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries.<P>You are allowed a second incorrect guess. After the third, you must wear a t-shirt during your broadcast (on the web cam) that says something like:<BR>"PerCONcussion has stumped me... he is the best... I cannot compare..." That sorta stuff!!! Image Happy guessing. I know I have ya this time!!
Per-CONcussion
5th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon Feb 12, 2001 3:37 pm

I will wear not such T Shirt!<P>Here are the Valkyries: <P>Brünnhilde <BR>Gerhilde <BR>Helmwige <BR>Waltraute <BR>Schwertleite <BR>Ortlinde <BR>Siegrune <BR>Grimgerde <BR>Rossweisse <P><BR>Gimme the keys to the car! I'm going for a drive!<BR>
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Per-CONcussion » Mon Feb 12, 2001 3:46 pm

Oh my, I ask 'how many' and she gives me their names! Truely, I am not worthy! Nicole, what is your background in Classical Music? Did you ever play an instrument? <P>Do not forget, tomorrow's question will relate to the 1812 Overature. This one is for a week's cruise in Hawaii. As for the car... do you prefer Cosmic Blue, Ox Blood Red, or Titanium Steel?<P>Adeu, Adeu... parting is such sweet sarrow.<BR>- Willy Wonka
Per-CONcussion
5th Chair

Postby EJA_2 » Mon Feb 12, 2001 7:26 pm

Nicole, <P> I am going to get the little challenge I presented to you up here where everyone can see it. Sorry, I don't have any sports cars or Hawaiian vacations to give away; just the pleasure of getting the right answer. Image I'm sure you will, eventually, though I've had somewhat of a challenge digging this up. <P> There is a famous quote by a legendary violin virtuoso who passed away in the first decade of the last century (in Berlin, hint hint). In this quote he describes what are in his estimation the four greatest German violin concertos. For each of the four he has superlative regard, but there is one which he describes as "the jewel in the heart of all the violin concertos." So, now you must tell me:<P> -- who the violinist was<BR> -- who the composers of the four greatest German violin concertos were<BR> -- which violin concertos these were<BR> -- which violin concerto was "the jewel"<P> When you get done with all that, play the jewel, and also "the sweetest" (hint, hint). Of course, the other two wouldn't hurt. <P> Regards to my favorite anouncer on my favorite radio station!<P> -- Ethan Adams<P> <BR> <BR><p>[This message has been edited by EJA (edited 02-12-2001).]
EJA_2
4th Chair

Postby shostakovich » Mon Feb 12, 2001 7:33 pm

Hi Nicole. Good work! I hope you get the car this week. As for the Hopkinson answer, you may have something there. I was thinking of The Federal March by Alexander Reinagle. It was written to celebrate the ratification of the Constitution by New Hampshire. The date I have for that is June 6, 1788. The work was performed on July 4 of that year. The march itself is piddling. Anybody could have whipped it off in half an hour, so nobody has to ooh-ahh that it was done in less than a month.<P>The term "United States" came from Oliver Ellsworth of Windsor, CT, one of the framers, who also wrote article 7(?) that said 9 of 13 colonies would be sufficient for the establishment of the new country. The Francis Hopkinson answer is a great one. I wonder about the date of his composition and the titles. Hopkinson, a signer of the Declaration (and maybe Constitution?) wrote A Toast to George Washington, which is another of the few works of the period that are still played or sung.<BR>Shos<P>PS to PerCONcussion: What change did the communists make in the 1812?
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Per-CONcussion » Tue Feb 13, 2001 9:32 am

Looks like Nicole is getting more challanges! Bravo. You should be able to nail this one. <P>The 1812 Overture depicts Russia’s ‘victory’ over the forces of Napoleon in the war of 1812. What ultimately drove Napoleon out of Russia? 7 days, 6 nights in Hawaii for this one. All expenses paid by *beethoven.com*.<BR> Image
Per-CONcussion
5th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Feb 13, 2001 10:28 am

Napoleon was forced out because the Russians used a "scorched earth policy" <BR>where they destroyed everything as they (the Russians) retreated from <BR>Napoleon's forces. Napoleon's army soon was subjected to disease, <BR>starvation, and desertion. This forced his army to leave. <P>Give me a Vacation. I need it.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Feb 13, 2001 10:32 am

Hey Ethan<P>YEHUDI MENUHIN was the violinist!<P>As for the Germans well that's tough. But the four greatest German violin concertos were composed by Mendelssohn, Brahms, Beethoven, Bach.<BR> <BR>The concertos were: E-Minor, D-Major Op. 77, D-Major Op. 61, and D-Minor (respectively) <P>Had help on this one but the "Jewel" was the violin concerto in E-minor! <P>What's my prize?
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Per-CONcussion » Tue Feb 13, 2001 10:34 am

The 1812 Overture depicts the war to be a glorious Russian victory with cannons driving out Napoleon's force of 600,000 men. What really drove out Napoleon's force was the frigid Russian winter (which arrived early) and the lack of cooperation by Russia to sign a treaty of defeat. Moscow was in Napoleon's control. Vacation? Didn't you just come back from Europe?
Per-CONcussion
5th Chair

Next

Return to Nicole Marie