How good is Nicole Marie? QUIZ

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: How good is Nicole Marie? QUIZ

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Feb 13, 2001 11:23 am

Yeah but I wanna go on another vacation!<P>As for your questions about have I played an instrument. Well yes. I play the double bass and have for over 10 years. I have a degree in music management (the business side of music) and a minor in classical double bass performance. Studied at the Hartt School of Music in Hartford Ct.<P>So Perc! I know my stuff.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Per-CONcussion » Tue Feb 13, 2001 11:36 am

Very nice! You do know your stuff. I am very impressed. I do not think that I will be able to present a question to you that you cannot answer. I will have to do something to "spruce up" my riddles. In the mean time... <P>Who was the only composer to see their composition in the Disney Classic “Fantasia”? He wasn’t too pleased on how the ‘cartoon action’ went with his music.<P>Good luck!<BR>
Long live the mighty triangle!
Per-CONcussion
5th Chair

Postby EJA_2 » Tue Feb 13, 2001 12:00 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nicole Marie:<BR><B>Hey Ethan<P>YEHUDI MENUHIN was the violinist!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>WRONG! Image Try again, or shall I tell you??<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>As for the Germans well that's tough. But the four greatest German violin concertos were composed by Mendelssohn, Brahms, Beethoven, Bach.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But the four greatest German concertos <I>according to this violinist</I>were what I was looking for. Three were composed by three of the afore-mentioned. However, one of the above is wrong, though only by two letters. Image Hint: the one you missed composed the concerto that this violinist designated as "the sweetest." <P>Alas, I heard the entire quote of this violinist on the radio, but in all my research, I have only found portions of and references to the quote, not the full thing. I was really hoping that you would be able to find it and quote it to me. Image<BR> <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>The concertos were: E-Minor, D-Major Op. 77, D-Major Op. 61, and D-Minor (respectively) </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm pretty sure that you got all but one of these right. I heard them designated as No 1, No 2, etc., and I don't have time right now to look them all up. . . . . . such laziness!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Had help on this one but the "Jewel" was the violin concerto in E-minor! </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, that's right! <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>What's my prize?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, if you get this right, I'll send you a picture of my pet porcupine. Or would you rather have a nice photo of a new lamb? I can hear it already "both." Image<P> -- Ethan Adams<P>
EJA_2
4th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Feb 13, 2001 1:32 pm

OK Ethan you've got me on the violinist. I can not find that. I don't know. At least I know when I've been beat.<P>Good run Ethan! So what's the answer?<P>Do I still get a prize?
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Feb 13, 2001 2:02 pm

Joseph Joachim ?
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Feb 13, 2001 2:08 pm

Treebeau <P>I Love Joachim's Romance in B flat. Short and perfect.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby EJA_2 » Tue Feb 13, 2001 2:39 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nicole Marie:<BR><B>OK Ethan you've got me on the violinist. I cannot find that. I don't know. At least I know when I've been beat.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>OK, I'll help you out with a couple of links from my favorites under Joachim: <A HREF="http://inkpot.com/classical/beethmenu.html" TARGET=_blank>http://inkpot.com/classical/beethmenu.html</A> <BR>That has part of the quote in it. <A HREF="http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/8/0,5716,44678+1+43683,00.html?kw=joachim%20joseph" TARGET=_blank>http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/8/0,5716,44678+1+43683,00.html?kw=joachim%20joseph</A> <BR>(watch for line wrap)<P><B>Good run Ethan! So what's the answer?</B><P>Quite frankly, I had a time finding much information on <B>Joseph Joachim</B> myself, and Drat!, I still can't find the full text of this quote. Don't you have any biographies on him at home or anything? Every Encyclopedia I try just puts in a short entry on him. You'd think there would be more detail somewhere on the vast wasteland of the Internet. . . Oh, and in case I haven't made it clear. . . . . . the four composers are Mendelssohn, Beethoven, Brahms, and Bruch. I really think Bruch is a close runner-up to Mendelssohn in the violin concerto department, and I think the quote conveyed that, however I think Joachim is still right about the E-minor being greatest. <P><B>Do I still get a prize?</B><BR>Maybe a porcupine; we shall see. I have to find the picture. Now, if you could find me the full text of the quote, it would be a different story. If it helps, I heard it somewhere between 11:00 AM and 3:00 PM on NPR's "Performance Today" a week or two ago. <P>One othere thing, Nicole, there just isn't enough of your show. Is it so short because of school constraints, or what?<P><BR>Your #1 Fan,<P> -- Ethan Adams<P>
EJA_2
4th Chair

Postby The Riddler » Tue Feb 13, 2001 3:24 pm

Shos - I am not aware of what the communists did to the 1812 Overture. Do tell.<P>PS Nicole - Stumped on the Fantasia question????<P>-The Riddler<BR>(formerly PerCONcussion)
The Riddler
5th Chair

Postby shostakovich » Tue Feb 13, 2001 4:19 pm

This is a very challenging and enjoyable column. <P>Joachim had good taste. I agree 100% with his 4. I suspect baroque concertos would not qualify for him. Bach had only recently been rediscovered and not yet explored when Joachim began his career. <P>The communist national anthem was written in 1944 after a competition. It was soon incorporated into the 1812 for local consumption, replacing the czarist God Preserve thy People. Those buggers REALLY DID rewrite history. I recall an early MGM Lion LP with the 1812 and Marche Slave on one side. The reviewer of it talked of how aghast he was to hear it in the recording. The jacket notes were standard stuff, unaware of the change. Before he got over the shock, the same anthem appeared in Marche Slave excising the same czarist hymn. Later, in stereo days I got a Russian made record that included Marche Slave. Sure enough, it happened there, too. Somebody with great curiosity, patience, and bucks to burn might look for older soviet discs with the dynamic duo of Tchaikovsky. I bet you, too, can listen in complete disbelief to the adaptations.<P>The Fantasia question has already been answered in a Musical Notes column under an appropriate heading.<BR>Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Previous

Return to Nicole Marie